Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

kadiir said:
Does anyone know how the 24AWG monoprice cable compares to Cable Solutions cable? For a 2m 28AWG cable they want $73 USD whereas the 6ft 24AWG cable from monoprice is $11.48.
I can't comment on Cable Solutions cables but my experience with Monoprice after buying dozens of cables from them is that they're very well manufactured and compete easily with other manufacturers' cables selling up to ten times more (really!). They also ship fast and sell on eBay too. Iam Nemo

what adjustments have you guys made to the monitor? My color looks perfect, it just might be a touch too bright. Other than that I don't think I am going to change anything.

IamNemo said:
...my experience with Monoprice....

Thanks - I just ordered one for my FP241W that should be here on Wednesday (from Newegg - I ordered on Friday).

kadiir said:
Does anyone know how the 24AWG monoprice cable compares to Cable Solutions cable? For a 2m 28AWG cable they want $73 USD whereas the 6ft 24AWG cable from monoprice is $11.48.

Well, I'm not familiar with the particular cables.... but 24 AWG wire would technically be better than 28 AWG.... and I think $73 for a cable is plain crazy. I've not yet ordered from monosource, but I've ordered tons of cables from pacificcable.com, and they have all been top quality, for far less than most cables I've ever gotten from various electronics stores.

kadiir said:
Thanks - I just ordered one for my FP241W that should be here on Wednesday (from Newegg - I ordered on Friday).

gratz.
will it have the firmware update? or not important?

Ok so it looks like there might be a problem with the monitor. I cant be sure, but I think thats what it is. The problem is with high def videos that I play. Say I play an episode of Prison Break in 720P (an mkv) file in VLC, i get lines across the screen. Now youre probably thinking "choose a different de-interlace pattern" but its p, not i. So thats not the problem. Second, you may say "choose a different rip", it happens to ALL my high-def stuff, including the HR.HDTV rips too. This just started. You may say its the video card, but when I play it on my CRT at home, its fine. When I say lines, I dont mean lines in the people on screen themselves, i mean lines across the whole screen, like to break up the image into 2-3 sections at a time during fast moving parts. For example, It may show one image fine for the 1st third, then the 2nd third it may be shifted to the left a little, or somehow moved so that theres a line inbetween the 2 sections, and the 3rd may be even more shifted. I really cant take pics because its hard to catch but easy to notice. Im not sure if it would even come out on camera. ANy suggestions? Could it be the monitor?

So whats this firmware update i heard about? Anyone care to fill me in on how to get it?

DangerIsGo said:
So whats this firmware update i heard about? Anyone care to fill me in on how to get it?
I don't have a clue about your display problems, but I can answer this one. :)
The original models scale all input sources up to 1920x1200 resolution. So if your input source is not a 16:10 PC video card, but something like an 4:3 xbox, or 16:9 xbox360 or ps3 or digital cable then the image is stretched. I personally can't stand viewing content in other than it's proper aspect ratio, along with many others. BenQ modified their firmware to add 1:1 aspect ratio scaling(and possible 1:1 pixel mapping; some folks are unclear on the terminology) apparently in models they started shipping in December and they are offering RMAs for you to ship any older models back to them - at your expense - for them to upgrade the firmware. (They also give the option to take it to a local place and pay $45 for the update. I couldn't find the list of these places, though)
Most of us that haven't already bought are hoping to get the December models that already have the new firmware from somewhere online. (I made a list of resellers above.)

Everyone keep looking at my problem noted above..someone has to know what causes that.

As far as sending back, how is their return service? Is it fast? Or slow as hell like Viewsonic?

cleve said:
gratz.
will it have the firmware update? or not important?
Unlikely. But, I'll be going on vacation for 2 weeks in a few months - I'll just send it in then.

I would have waited if I could, but the monitor it's replacing is on it's last leg. This past Thursday it began having difficulty coming out of 'sleep' mode - it sounded like the thing had a mini-explosion inside and then went dead. I had to leave it off for a few minutes before trying again and then it came on.

Interesting, since I placed my order, this monitor has been behaving pretty well (still get weird lines and "flashes" occasionally). Had it stayed that way since I first started noticing issues I would have waited :(

DangerIsGo said:
Everyone keep looking at my problem noted above..someone has to know what causes that.
To be honest, that's exactly what my *CRT* is doing. In the Display properties, is the monitor defined (i.e., you've installed the inf) or is it listed as a plug and play monitor?

DangerIsGo said:
As far as sending back, how is their return service?
Sorry, no experience with that. I remember one comment in this thread where a tech said it was a ~2 week turnaround time (meaning, they have it for 2 weeks before shipping it back).

tyen said:
He was talking about his order for the hdmi cable.
Actually, it was a DVI cable. However, I also made a side comment about ordering the monitor as well.

DangerIsGo said:

Danger,

What you are describing sounds like "image tearing". While it *could* be a problem with the monitor, it is more likely to be a software issue. The fact that you don't see the problem on your analog monitor is curious, though. What is the playback software you are using on the video files (and is it using hardware acceleration)? What was the max resolution on your old analog monitor (was it as high as 1920x1080)? Do you experience tearing anywhere else (like when moving a window around the screen, or while playing games)?

The video playback software needs to do proper double buffering. This is the same concept as "Vertical Sync" (a.k.a. "vsync") which you will often see an option for turning on or off in video games. Most video cards made before 2006 only support double buffering on one monitor if you have multiple monitors attached.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this since I would like to play back HD content too, and am waiting for the 1:1 fix to buy one of these.

I am using VLC. When I play in media player (classic or regular) playback is horrendous. When I play in Zoom, it lags a little, but VLC offers the best playback.

DangerIsGo said:
I am using VLC. When I play in media player (classic or regular) playback is horrendous. When I play in Zoom, it lags a little, but VLC offers the best playback.

Are you watching compressed HD source?

I'm watching a compressed HDTV TV series download via VLC on a macbook and there's no tearing. Looks fine but of course you see a bit of compression artifacts. This can't be helped when the file size is 700MB for an hour show.

AL2423W is hooked to laptop's VGA port. Picture is great but my eyes get tired after 1/2 hours web browsing/word processing... wasn't not the case with my Hanns G 19" LCD... Not many posts here about how good FP241W for desktop applications...

is anyone else have problems with dark areas in games and such? playing bf2 when i go inside a dark building its almost impossible to see anything :( Even my samsung 940b shows these areas way better.

all you guys talking about it being $900 sum :eek: i got it for $868 with 5% off plus 6%tax and 12$ enviroment fee.. and this is all canadian too. so its was around $880 CDN

e-karel said:
AL2423W is hooked to laptop's VGA port. Picture is great but my eyes get tired after 1/2 hours web browsing/word processing... wasn't not the case with my Hanns G 19" LCD... Not many posts here about how good FP241W for desktop applications...

The monitor has several different auto settings for different situations, i.e. 'Photo', 'Dynamic', 'Standard' and some others. I find that the 'Standard' setting is quite comfortable when using desktop applications. It turns down the brightness and makes the picture easier to look at while doing stuff other then watching movies, photos or games.

Any owners of this monitor have any good picture settings they would like to post and which mode?

PS: I switched back to xbox360 to VGA cable and I find it better for dark areas but colours are really washed out...I'm wondering if this is an xbox output issue or this monitor's component in handling darker areas?

Okay, it's now January 2nd. Can anyone confirm getting a 1:1 pixel mapping version of this monitor yet?

Mysticode said:
Okay, it's now January 2nd. Can anyone confirm getting a 1:1 pixel mapping version of this monitor yet?
I placed an unrelated order with newegg 4 days ago that hasn't even made it past step1. I think most places were closed for the long holiday weekend so I don't think we'll have answers from the
folks that ordered last week until a few more days have gone by.

I placed my order last Friday and it just shipped this afternoon. I'm kind of glad that it didn't ship last Friday because it may be coming from new stock. Shipping in January might mean that it comes from December stock (since December orders came from November stock), and the December stock has the 1:1.

However, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't come with it because I plan on sending it on when I'm on vacation sometime during the summer.

The official benq resellers that actually have the FP214W (for around $800):
newegg
newegg is only one we have info on since someone here bought on Dec 28th and received November model without new firmware.
They confirmed to me that there is no possible way for them to know if they are still shipping displays made in november, nor would they add any kind of note to an order specifying a preference for the December model.
macconnection
Replied that their inventory is in another state and have no way to specify which version I'd get if I order from them now.
superwarehouse
insight
cdw

No replies from the others yet.

There is going to be no way for re-sellers to know if it has the 1:1 update unless they actually take the time to get a serial number and call BenQ and simply ask them.

Most places won't do that, it's much easier to say we don't know and get you off the phone or answer your email quick.

If you can look at the box before you buy it and take down the serial number and call benq that's the only way you will know for sure.

I think the only way people like us will know is by posting in this thread, soon as more and more start posting they got the new updated versions then we will know for sure.

PS: I switched back to xbox360 to VGA cable and I find it better for dark areas but colours are really washed out...I'm wondering if this is an xbox output issue or this monitor's component in handling darker areas?

I think that is indicative to component inputs in general, or at least on monitors. All three monitors I tried before the BenQ had loss of detail in the Blacks through component. It was a huge loss too.

I ordered from NewEgg last Thursday. Monitor showed up an hour ago. First off, it's beautiful. I got a brand new Dell 2007fpw as a second monitor last week and the image quality on the BenQ is much better IMO.

I hooked the BenQ up to an old VCR using the composite. It stretched the image to fill the full screen. I'm assuming this means it doesn't have the 1:1 unless there's some setting you have to change to tell it to use 1:1.

I honestly don't care, this will never be used for anything but my PC but I know people are wondering what's shipping.

I just noticed this now, but is there a reason why the only 16:10 resolution choice I have is the monitors native resolution of 1920x1200?

I understand LCD's and the concept of native resolutions, but if, for example, I want to play Company of Heroes at a 16:10 resolution, but lower than the native resolution, I can't because it doesn't show up in the choice list. Surely I should be able to play at 1280x800 or some other, lower, 16:10 resolution if I wish no?

Would using Powerstrip to create a custom desktop resolution help? Does anyone else who has this monitor have more 16:10 resolution choices than simply 1920x1200?

CatMoon said:
I ordered from NewEgg last Thursday. Monitor showed up an hour ago. First off, it's beautiful. I got a brand new Dell 2007fpw as a second monitor last week and the image quality on the BenQ is much better IMO.

I hooked the BenQ up to an old VCR using the composite. It stretched the image to fill the full screen. I'm assuming this means it doesn't have the 1:1 unless there's some setting you have to change to tell it to use 1:1.

I honestly don't care, this will never be used for anything but my PC but I know people are wondering what's shipping.

Whats the manufacture date on it?

It is an issue with your graphics card drivers, using powerstrip will remedy that. The one thing that I often run into is not having 1440x1050 as a preset in the drivers, it is imho the most usable rez for 19" screens, especially for many older monitors that can´t cope with 1600x1200 @ +75Hz. But yeah, powerstip it and you are good to go. There should be nothing in the monitor itself to prevent you from running it @ the resolution of your choosing (provided that it can actually handle it).

rabhw said:
I just noticed this now, but is there a reason why the only 16:10 resolution choice I have is the monitors native resolution of 1920x1200?

That would be up to your game settings. In HL2 for example there's a whole list of 16:10 resolutions to choose from. I just tried BF2 at 1680x1050 and it worked fine (i had to use a command line switch to get that of course).

Here's some 16:10 options:
1920x1200
1680x1050
1600x1024
1440x900
1280x800

Thanks!

Just used Powerstrip and setup a 1280x800 resolution, now I can finally play Company of Heroes and UT2004 in a proper aspect ratio!

I feel like one of those penguins at the edge of the ocean waiting for the other pengiuns to go into the water first to see if there is a leopard seal around. :D
At least in this case, some of you are on friendly terms with the leopard seal. :)

hi,

Could someone please tell me how to get sound from this monitor when using non-pc inputs????

I have connected my 360 via component but i hear nothing from my pc speakers so how do i get sound??

Thanks

mrx542 said:
hi,

Could someone please tell me how to get sound from this monitor when using non-pc inputs????

I have connected my 360 via component but i hear nothing from my pc speakers so how do i get sound??

Thanks

You either need a receiver or something like the Creative DDTS-100. Well you can also get Logitech adapters but then you would have to unplug and replug in your cables whenever you switch from PC to console.

Catalyst Control center reports the monitor having a max refresh rate of 75hz. Windows only gives me the option of 60hz, which is what i thought was the only option for lcds.

Is anyone running above 60?

Not sure if this is any use to anyone, but I sent an email to BenQ Australia about the fix and this is the reply I got this afternoon:

Stuart from BenQ said:
The firmware upgrade of existing monitors will be performed in our authorised service provider premises free of charge. At present the new firmware is under test and approval process in our Sydney office. The list of our authorised service centres can be found on our web site www.BenQ.com.au
So I guess monitors with the new firmware should be out here soon...

Back