Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

BrokenAnimator said:
Has anyone sent their monitor away to get the fix done yet?

I turned in paperwork to request an RMA from BenQ on Dec 28th and the rep that's assisting me said things are a little slow with the holidays, so I'm still waiting on an RMA number to send it in. I just sent him another note asking about status so we'll see what happens.

My monitor is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll post the manufacture date and maybe some Xbox 360 pics if anyone wants them as soon as it arrives.

dannyallen34 said:
My monitor is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll post the manufacture date and maybe some Xbox 360 pics if anyone wants them as soon as it arrives.

Where did you order it from? Newegg?
Do you have the VGA cable or using component?

Yes, please post some pics. I've gone back to using VGA cable as component is too dark.

consoleboi said:
Where did you order it from? Newegg?
Do you have the VGA cable or using component?

Yes, please post some pics. I've gone back to using VGA cable as component is too dark.
Yes, I got it from newegg. I have both the VGA cable and component, so I can test both if you want.

CatMoon said:
That would be up to your game settings. In HL2 for example there's a whole list of 16:10 resolutions to choose from. I just tried BF2 at 1680x1050 and it worked fine (i had to use a command line switch to get that of course).

Here's some 16:10 options:
1920x1200
1680x1050
1600x1024
1440x900
1280x800

I get all those options in CS source and BF2 games but anything below the native 1920x1200 resolution the games look blurry and unattractive to the eye. One reason why not having your LCD monitor properly displaying 1:1 pixel totally STINKS. And having an ATI based video card like myself STINKS even more, atleast the nvdia cards can scale down resolutions giving u black bars all around , still better then nothing. Now, im not complaning about my monitor, i actually love this thing , graphics look amazing, but being priced at 800-900 dollars it should support 1:1 pixel mapping.

ati does this 1:1 scaling too (so you have black bars on the left and right)

i read it somewhere but dont know which cards and which drivers support this.

still love my monitor :)

and dark areas are fine in BF2 for me. Using dvi cabel. mind you i always plays online FPS shooters a bit brighter then normal :p monitor has standard settings and 40% brightness

Ati doesn't support 1:1, it just tells the monitor to do it itself. Nvidia actually encodes black bars on the image.

But ofcourse the drivers for 8800 series are a bit broken and it doesn't work for them yet.

Recap:

One user solved their 8800GTX DVI issue by trashing the BenQ cable, replacing it with something better... Has anybody else had this issue and been able to fix it?

The 1:1 pixel mapping issue is rumored to be fixed in Dec 2006+ manufactured models, but nobody has one yet... Correct? Hehe... By all means if you get one in, mention the Manufactuer date on the box before mentioning anything else...

The FP241WZ just doesn't sound like it's worth the extra $$$ to me, so I'm waiting to see who has had 8800GTX DVI issues and/or anything else they wanna mention (that could hamper my new system build)...

Keep up the info... Try not to get off track... Thanks in advance!

Recap:
The 1:1 pixel mapping issue is rumored to be fixed in Dec 2006+ manufactured models, but nobody has one yet... Correct? Hehe... By all means if you get one in, mention the Manufactuer date on the box before mentioning anything else...

Keep up the info... Try not to get off track...

Yep, I planned on telling everyone the manufacture date before I start to set it up. I'm guessing it will most likely be November, but there is always the chance it could be December.

Recap:

One user solved their 8800GTX DVI issue by trashing the BenQ cable, replacing it with something better... Has anybody else had this issue and been able to fix it?

The FP241WZ just doesn't sound like it's worth the extra $$$ to me, so I'm waiting to see who has had 8800GTX DVI issues and/or anything else they wanna mention (that could hamper my new system build)...

Keep up the info... Try not to get off track... Thanks in advance!

I'm using the BenQ DVI cable with my FP241W and have two 8800GTX's in SLI and don't have any problems whatsoever. Sounds like I was lucky and didn't get a cable with any problems. A question on this, for DVI-D is it that the single link has the two sections of pins and the dual-link has all pins filled in? And would this FP241W work any differently based on whether a dual or single link DVI-D cable was being used?

I'm using the BenQ DVI cable with my FP241W and have two 8800GTX's in SLI and don't have any problems whatsoever. Sounds like I was lucky and didn't get a cable with any problems. A question on this, for DVI-D is it that the single link has the two sections of pins and the dual-link has all pins filled in? And would this FP241W work any differently based on whether a dual or single link DVI-D cable was being used?

It shouldn't be as a single DVI cable has enough bandwidth for 1920x1200 @ 60hz...in fact it has enough bandwidth for 1920x1200 @ 70hz..the cut off is 165MHZ.

Not to thrilled with BenQ now. I was complaining a little over the phone about having to pay for the update, not to much, but I just said I was not happy about it. I stated that the monitor "claims" to display 1080P without cropping or image distortion. I explained when you take 1080 lines and stretch it to 1200 that is the definition of distortion.

The guy said I don't see where it says that on our website but if you see it, then email it to me. So I sent him this Email soon as the call was done.

(Start Email)
Here is the link we discussed earlier:
http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=1010

Notice it says “full HD support” 1080P. It also says:

Quote: “1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution
“And its wide-screen format ensures no image distortion or cropping.”
When you take 1080 lines and stretch them to 1200…that is distortion. This is why the upgrade should be free, and the false marketing should be taken down.

(End Email)

Well guess what, about 2 hours after I sent them that Email they deleted that text from their product page: the text where it said:

Is gone, and we still have to pay for the update and shipping. It's frustrating.

Also here is what it use to say from Canada Computers, they copied the marketing stuff off the BenQ website awhile ago.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011446&cid=MT "the text is under the title "a great view"

I like how Benq offers the upgrade, I don't like how they will not admit that it is a mistake.

Not to thrilled with BenQ now. I was complaining a little over the phone about having to pay for the update, not to much, but I just said I was not happy about it. I stated that the monitor "claims" to display 1080P without cropping or image distortion. I explained when you take 1080 lines and stretch it to 1200 that is the definition of distortion.

The guy said I don't see where it says that on our website but if you see it, then email it to me. So I sent him this Email soon as the call was done.

(Start Email)
Here is the link we discussed earlier:
http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=1010

Notice it says “full HD support” 1080P. It also says:

Quote: “1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution
When you take 1080 lines and stretch them to 1200…that is distortion. This is why the upgrade should be free, and the false marketing should be taken down.

(End Email)

Well guess what, about 2 hours after I sent them that Email they deleted that text from their product page: the text where it said:

Is gone, and we still have to pay for the update and shipping. It's frustrating.

Also here is what it use to say from Canada Computers, they copied the marketing stuff off the BenQ website awhile ago.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011446&cid=MT "the text is under the title "a great view"

I like how Benq offers the upgrade, I don't like how they will not admit that it is a mistake.

Now why would you buy from that crap ass place Canada Computers?? Spend a little more cash and buy it from Bestbuy and they will replace the 1:1 fix when it's out without any headache.

I ordered mine on Friday as well. It arrived yesterday and it is a November manuf. date. Ah, well - that's what I expected.

Maybe I got the last one....

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time now and my opinion of BenQ has dropped to the point where even if the firmware fix is perfect I no longer feel good about ordering one of their products. I still can't even believe these monitors made it out the door with such a critical flaw.

I can't imagine going through this process: ordering on newegg->paying for shipping->waiting for it to arrive->pay to ship it to BenQ->waiting for them to get it ->waiting for them to fix it->waiting for it to return ->pray it works like I want it to.

That said, has anyone come across a suitable alternative? This model attracted me because I wish to connect a laptop via vga, a desktop via dvi, a ps3 via hdmi, and possibly a 360 via component all at once.

I've been doing some research on the net and nothing seems to offer this feature set except the upcoming Sceptre 24". I figured this might be a good place to ask because no doubt others have been looking elsewhere as well.

The reasons are not important to this thread I am not considering models from Dell, Gateway, or Samsung. I'm currently waiting on the possibility of new displays from Apple (Macworld is just a few days away) and NEC. I gave my incredible 19" NEC CRT to my parents and I would love to replace it with a new NEC. I'm currently stuck with a ~14" crt that originally shipped with a pentium 1 system. That should convey a sense of desperation.

I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time now and my opinion of BenQ has dropped to the point where even if the firmware fix is perfect I no longer feel good about ordering one of their products. I still can't even believe these monitors made it out the door with such a critical flaw.

I can't imagine going through this process: ordering on newegg->paying for shipping->waiting for it to arrive->pay to ship it to BenQ->waiting for them to get it ->waiting for them to fix it->waiting for it to return ->pray it works like I want it to.

That said, has anyone come across a suitable alternative? This model attracted me because I wish to connect a laptop via vga, a desktop via dvi, a ps3 via hdmi, and possibly a 360 via component all at once.

I've been doing some research on the net and nothing seems to offer this feature set except the upcoming Sceptre 24". I figured this might be a good place to ask because no doubt others have been looking elsewhere as well.

The reasons are not important to this thread I am not considering models from Dell, Gateway, or Samsung. I'm currently waiting on the possibility of new displays from Apple (Macworld is just a few days away) and NEC. I gave my incredible 19" NEC CRT to my parents and I would love to replace it with a new NEC. I'm currently stuck with a ~14" crt that originally shipped with a pentium 1 system. That should convey a sense of desperation.
I'm in the same boat as you (though I'm thankfully not stuck on a 14 inch CRT ;) ). Like you, I've also ruled out the Samsung and Dell, and I'm put off by the mixed reviews and frequent reports of bad experiences with the Gateway. It seems like the BenQ would have been perfect if not for the lack of aspect ratio control. But like you, I'm not terribly impressed by BenQ's customer support. I wouldn't even consider buying this monitor knowing that I'd have to send it in for the firmware update. The other thing putting me off is that there still doesn't seem to be any official confirmation of what the firmware update actually fixes. We've been told there will be some type of aspect ratio control, but know no details about it. I'd be really pissed if I bought the monitor, paid for the firmware upgrade, and then found out that the aspect ratio controls didn't work with all inputs or at all resolutions.

The upcoming NEC models do look nice, but these seem like they will be a little too expensive for me. Same with the new Eizo. Haven't really thought about the upcoming Apples, but they'll also probably be expensive. For the moment, I think I'm just going to wait it out for a bit, and see how these new models fare, along with Dell's new 27" model. Even if nothing better comes along, hopefully the price will fall on the FP241W, and by then we'll at least know for sure whether the firmware update fixes all the problems.

Geachte heer,

Door een technische storing is uw vraag nu pas bij ons terecht gekomen, mijn excuses voor de trage beantwoording van uw vraag.

Helaas is de lancering van de FP241WZ in Nederland uitgesteld naar februari (de FP241W zal niet beschikbaar zijn in de Benelux).

Ik hoop u hiermee voldoende te hebben ingelicht.

Mvg,

Marcel

Marcel Terlien
Account Executive
BenQ Benelux BV
Saturnusstraat 25G
2132 HB Hoofddorp
The Netherlands

Tel:
+31 (0)23 79 90 841 (direct)
+31 (0)23 79 90 800 (general)

Fax:
+31 (0)23 79 90 899

[email protected]
Benq.nl
The FP241WZ will be available in The Netherlands in february, the FP241W will not be available in the Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg).

So, I've gotten quite a bit less convinced that I want a BenQ display after reading this thread but I'm still wondering: Since I will only use my display for "ordinary" computer activities (photoshop, games, etc) and not with e.g. an xbox - would I still be affected by these problems? I appreciate any answers since I'm not that good at hardware :D

Some of you people need to stop with your stupid bitching. Some of you already had been warned about the 1:1 ratio and still went out and buy it. This thread is almost 90pages long and most people still don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

Some of you people need to stop with your stupid bitching. Some of you already had been warned about the 1:1 ratio and still went out and buy it. This thread is almost 90pages long and most people still don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

You still don't understand. Many people want to read about how the upgrade process will work, and how it is being handled by BenQ and when the new models with the firmware update are available and being sold. Your pretty much missing the entire point.

and dark areas are fine in BF2 for me. Using dvi cabel. mind you i always plays online FPS shooters a bit brighter then normal :p monitor has standard settings and 40% brightness

Anyone else have anything to say about the blacks :confused: I dont think mine should be this dark. Could it possibly be my DVI cable that came with the monitor?

My Samsung is running on a vga cable and while the colors aren't that great I can see way more in the dark areas

Anyone else have anything to say about the blacks :confused: I dont think mine should be this dark. Could it possibly be my DVI cable that came with the monitor?

My Samsung is running on a vga cable and while the colors aren't that great I can see way more in the dark areas

How about playing around with your Contrast/Brightness setting in your monitor menu or your video card setting or even in your game setting??

I'm taking Xbox 360 pics right now. However, I cannot do PIP with DVI and Component. Is this a known problem? The only choices I have for PIP are S-Video and Composite. So, I can't take any PIP pics.

The FP241WZ will be available in The Netherlands in february, the FP241W will not be available in the Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg).

tnx I was already wondering when it would finally be available. Its up for preorder for ages now..

PIP photos would be very appreciated!

PIP.jpg

you can change the size and move it all around the screen too.

still need to learn how to use my camera!

/me rocks back and forth on the floor in a fetal position

Need this monitor... need 1:1 pixel mapping :eek:

If I stack three DVDs height wise, from the base of my desk to the top shelf, I have two and a half DVDs cases of clearance for a monitor. How many DVDs high does this Benq monitor go in normal position (I would need to fit one)

/me rocks back and forth on the floor in a fetal position

Need this monitor... need 1:1 pixel mapping :eek:

If I stack three DVDs height wise, from the base of my desk to the top shelf, I have two and a half DVDs cases of clearance for a monitor. How many DVDs high does this Benq monitor go in normal position (I would need to fit one)

im pretty sure ps2 cases are the same as dvd's arnt they:confused: if so you have about an inch to spare :eek:

You still don't understand. Many people want to read about how the upgrade process will work, and how it is being handled by BenQ and when the new models with the firmware update are available and being sold. Your pretty much missing the entire point.

I agree. I'm learning a lot about BenQ in how they are handling this. I guess they get some points for fixing it (once I see they actually did)... but certainly get negative points for the bone-headed way they are doing it.

I guess their customer service is better than some of the companies where you can't even get in touch with anyone, or get stuff addressed. But, they certainly don't have the level of customer service I usually expect from companies I do business with. IMO... unless we start holding companies to better expectations in customer service... it will just keep getting worse and worse.

bootstrap said:
I'm in the same boat as you (though I'm thankfully not stuck on a 14 inch CRT ). Like you, I've also ruled out the Samsung and Dell, and I'm put off by the mixed reviews and frequent reports of bad experiences with the Gateway. It seems like the BenQ would have been perfect if not for the lack of aspect ratio control. But like you, I'm not terribly impressed by BenQ's customer support.

Yes... BenQ might have blown it for me... we'll see. I got frustrated (I would have bought one already... if they were on the level about the 1:1 issue), and started looking at other options. I ran across the Westinghouse LVM-37w3. While it is much bigger (37") than I originally wanted... I think it will be OK, and does all I want it to do. Now if I can just find a great deal on one (people keep getting them on specials for under $900).

I'll also see if the 26" and 27" models come out soon, etc. unless I find a deal on the Westy first. BenQ still has a bit of a chance... as it is kind of my fall back option now.

Urian said:
So, I've gotten quite a bit less convinced that I want a BenQ display after reading this thread but I'm still wondering: Since I will only use my display for "ordinary" computer activities (photoshop, games, etc) and not with e.g. an xbox - would I still be affected by these problems? I appreciate any answers since I'm not that good at hardware

You kind of have to put the complaints in perspective. The BenQ still looks like quite a fine LCD. If you are using it as a computer display, it sounds to be one of the best out there right now (in a reasonable price range anyway). The 1:1 issues are mainly a problem if you are running a multi-media type device into it where you can't set the resolution. In that case, it stretches whatever you input to fill the screen.

If you plug it into a computer, then you can tell the computer to run it at its native 1920x1200 rez... and it won't be stretched. ie: no need for 1:1 modes.

I'm taking Xbox 360 pics right now. However, I cannot do PIP with DVI and Component. Is this a known problem? The only choices I have for PIP are S-Video and Composite. So, I can't take any PIP pics.

Thats very poor that you cannot have PIP with component, was hoping to have PIP with xbox 360

PIP.jpg

you can change the size and move it all around the screen too.

still need to learn how to use my camera!

What are you using for PIP here, composite or s-video?

So, I've gotten quite a bit less convinced that I want a BenQ display after reading this thread but I'm still wondering: Since I will only use my display for "ordinary" computer activities (photoshop, games, etc) and not with e.g. an xbox - would I still be affected by these problems? I appreciate any answers since I'm not that good at hardware :D

No, this won't affect you. In my opinion it's an awesome monitor, I'm 100% happy I bought this (note that I just use this for my PC).

As has been pointed out before, the lack on 1:1 isn't a defect it's just not a feature offered on this monitor. Some monitors have 1:1, some monitors don't have HDMI inputs like the BenQ. It's just something that comes or doesn't come as part of the product.

So if you're going to hook up an XBox or something with a 4:3 and the stretching bothers you then get a Dell or something else instead. Newer models will have 1:1 if you want to wait or you can pay the extra $ for the WZ or VW.

I think if there is a complaint to have with BenQ it would be that they should be able to point people to a retailer where they can get a Dec model. I'm sure some people here would even pay a little extra for one...

As has been pointed out before, the lack on 1:1 isn't a defect it's just not a feature offered on this monitor. Some monitors have 1:1, some monitors don't have HDMI inputs like the BenQ. It's just something that comes or doesn't come as part of the product.

I think if there is a complaint to have with BenQ it would be that they should be able to point people to a retailer ...

I'm not sure why you keep trying to defend BenQ on this point. Most of us complaining about the lack of 1:1 are not contesting that it is a good quality monitor. But, to say this isn't a defect misses a couple of major points.

1) It is advertised as being a multi-media monitor. It has many inputs besides just DVI for a PC to hook to. It also advertised being a 1080p display with no distortion.... again, I compare this to buying a new car where reverse doesn't work. I suppose someone could just argue that you can still get places... and it is simply missing the 'reverse' feature... but in any reasonable way of looking at this... it is a defect.

2) As for your complaint with BenQ... I agree there. They could have easily taken care of this and ended this debate months ago. They are being bone-headed about this for sure in the customer service area.

Basically... I don't think the BenQ reps know what is going on. They don't know exactly when new models are going to have it... nor what serial number it starts at. All they said to me, was go somewhere to buy it where they can take it out of the box and try it. Big help that is. So, until I start hearing of people getting fixed ones... I won't consider the BenQ. As far as I know... there is no fix... it is all just rumors. (again, something BenQ could easily address)

Back