Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

When did Newegg run out of fp241w's? I've been checking it daily, I guess I didn't notice. Did anyone else notice they were out of stock?

They're back in stock I think... The $749 is supposed to be a 'weekend deal' too...

I talked to a live rep yesterday, and they still couldn't give me a solid answer on whether their current stock was firmware fixed... She was going to notify me when she found out: 'in the next couple of days'... I simply told her in the next couple of days I'd have firmware fixed product, from NewEgg or not... I ordered from NCIX...

It feels good knowing I got a dead-pixel warranty, because I don't know anybody in here who isn't going to scrutinize the hell outta it when they get it.

So, UK buyers....

Some of you may have read that I bought one of these, 635 sterling, from morecomputers.co.uk, manufactured october 2006, but shipped in Jan with the old firmware.... No 1:1 pixel mapping...

Now, even though I don't really intend to use it for non PC work, I figured I may as well have the new firmware just in case...

Called BenQ to RMA... They pass the ticket onto repairtech.co.uk.

they called me the following day to arrange pick up.

Anyway, I've just waved bye bye to my beautiful monitor this morning.... the contact at repairtech suggested a 7 day turn around, but I'm hoping this is a standard response...

Good thing is, they're paying for the courier and all that, so I haven't really had to do anything other than the initial call . Although there was some early confusion when they thought it was a straight RMA, had to have a bit of email tennis to tell them it was just a firmware flashing thingy....

Anyway, more to follow, we'll see how this little drama unfolds...

Why the f@ck don't they make this firmware user upgradeable?

It clearly ruins the functionality of this display IMO and I find it hard to believe that it involves anything more than hooking a USB cable to the display and running an update.

Seems silly to have to go through all this for something it should have had from the start, especially for the price of this display.

Why the fuck don't they make this firmware user upgradeable?

It clearly ruins the functionality of this display IMO and I find it hard to believe that it involves anything more than hooking a USB cable to the display and running an update.

Seems silly to have to go through all this for something it should have had from the start, especially for the price of this display.

It does feel a bit pointless...but allegedly the USB slots are jsut pass throughs....

Anyway, its stinging now, as I only have a rubbish monitor knocking round the house,,, :mad:

When did Newegg run out of fp241w's? I've been checking it daily, I guess I didn't notice. Did anyone else notice they were out of stock?

when did you hear they were out of stock? :confused:

i just ordered mine yesterday with a big "in stock" on the page for $750.

they better be IN stock, if it says so on the page!!!!!!! :mad:

Called BenQ to RMA... They pass the ticket onto repairtech.co.uk.

they called me the following day to arrange pick up.

Anyway, I've just waved bye bye to my beautiful monitor this morning.... the contact at repairtech suggested a 7 day turn around, but I'm hoping this is a standard response...

Good thing is, they're paying for the courier and all that, so I haven't really had to do anything other than the initial call . Although there was some early confusion when they thought it was a straight RMA, had to have a bit of email tennis to tell them it was just a firmware flashing thingy....

Anyway, more to follow, we'll see how this little drama unfolds...

I called BenQ again today regarding the update though the guy i got through to didnt really have a clue and said they were awaiting parts to be delivered; though i think he just read this from the messages left on my previous call cos he didnt ring through to anyone and basically said that BenQ would call me back when they had more information on it.

May have to ring them again and try to get something sorted if uve managed to get yours sent out for the firmware fix.

I called BenQ again today regarding the update though the guy i got through to didnt really have a clue and said they were awaiting parts to be delivered; though i think he just read this from the messages left on my previous call cos he didnt ring through to anyone and basically said that BenQ would call me back when they had more information on it.

May have to ring them again and try to get something sorted if uve managed to get yours sent out for the firmware fix.

Well this is the thing... I wasn't entirely convinced that they were in a position to do the firmware fix yet...

Either way I'm gonna hassle them to return the monitor within 7 days.

I feel like I'm guinea pigging... :D

when did you hear they were out of stock? :confused:

i just ordered mine yesterday with a big "in stock" on the page for $750.

they better be IN stock, if it says so on the page!!!!!!! :mad:

You should be ok. I was referring to when they were playing with the price from 749 to 769 with and without free shipping. It went OOS for a little bit then and now is back in stock again. SO, thus I was wondering if they got new stock in with firmware fix.

Please let us know if you get one with the fix. Thanks.

From what a lot of reviews and people says the stand is very stable..weird... and it does do a full 90 degrees lots of people here can tell you

I have a FP241W and the monitor shakes a bit when I type HARD on my keyboard. If your desk is light and can shake easily, this monitor WILL shake if you change its elevation and put it high. I fixed the problem by letting it at the lowest position, thus locked in place. :(

The price is back to 799.99 + 16.99 S&H (MSRP of $1,099 ) as of Monday morning (Jan 22.) - the highest I have seen on Newegg. I ordered one last week (Jersey warehouse) and still got the Nov model w/o firmware fix. Phoned BenQ the same morning and spoke to two tech support guys - both new exactly what i was talking about w/ the firmware fix. The first one tried to convince me that the firmware is a minor fixed and is not worth all the trouble but I insisted and then we got disconnected. I dialed back - got another guy - he set me up w/ an RMA number and address of their Irvine CA facility - the only place where the firmware can be put on the LCD without voiding the 3 year warranty. The bastards make me pay for the shipping both ways across the country (I'm in Buffalo NY) - came out to be just under 60 dollars w/ 800.00 shipment protection both ways via DHL Ground (FedEx ground doesn't do the prepaid stuff.) The beast weights just under 30Lbs. So you're not exactly saving money on this LCD w/o the firmware fix.

The price is back to 799.99 as of Monday morning (Jan 22) I ordered one last week (Jersey warehouse) and still got the Nov model w/o firmware fix. Phoned BenQ the same morning and spoke to two tech support guys - both new exactly what i was talking about w/ the firmware fix. The first one tried to convince me that the firmware is a minor fixed and is not worth all the trouble but I insisted and then we got disconnected. I dialed back - got another guy - he set me up w/ an RMA number and address of their Irvine CA facility - the only place where the firmware can be put on the LCD without voiding the 3 year warranty. The bastards make me pay for the shipping both ways across the country (I'm in Buffalo NY) - came out to be just under 60 dollars w/ 800.00 shipment protection both ways via DHL Ground (FedEx ground doesn't do the prepaid stuff.) The beast weights just under 30Lbs. So you're not exactly saving money on this LCD w/o the firmware fix.

Could you give me the number that you called? Thanks

Also, Is the 1:1 the only issue that the firmware addresses?

I used the number listed under Service & Support on their website (866) 600-2367. It will prompt you for some options - You have to select the LCD support. They also made me check for the firmware update first to see if it's already been done. You should be able to see Display options under system properties or something like that. Please correct me if I am wrong - I only played with my new LCD for a few minutes before putting it back in the box and sending it to update the firmware.

Now it's back to $769.99 w/ Free shipping half an hour later on newegg. What's going on? It's not newegg it's a stock market...........

Nope, I was reading the right review. Look under the cons section.

"The BEAST monitor
Reviewed By: Nerdtalker on 1/12/2007 Reviewed By: Nerdtalker on 1/12/2007 Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5
Tech Level Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month

Pros: Out of the box, this monitor shines. Truly the only monitor in its class with HDMI, there's no way to truly describe what it is to see in-action. The monitor exhibits literally no ghosting, and mine arrived with the 1:1 pixel mapping firmware fix, which enables "aspect" stretching, "full screen" stretching, and 1:1 mapping (for those of you who want to see 1080p, and just that). I use it with my notebook, as well as Xbox 360, and am awed. Brightness and contrast put ALL my other monitors to shame.

Cons: The monitor stand itself is a little shaky when you change its elevation (it moves up and down), and it would be nice if the screen was really able to turn a full 90 degrees. As has already been mentioned, the OSD is hard to master initially, but I can understand putting the controls on the side so the front remains clean. Messing with the OSD is a minor complaint. PNP is almost a gimmick, since it only works with similar inputs (composite, component, s-video), and (D-Sub, DVI, HDMI) respectively.

Other Thoughts: Be prepared to use up your whole desk with this thing. I guess I should have measured what 24" diagonal looks like, since I was stunned when I removed it from the box. Truly a worthwhile purchase, best money I've ever spent."

yeah, but this guy claiming to have received the 1:1 update is the reason a few of us went ahead and bought it, and none of us (so far - mine comes today) have received it with the update from either the california or new jersey warehouse. So perhaps he is not entirely in touch with reality.

Now it's back to $769.99 w/ Free shipping half an hour later on newegg. What's going on? It's not newegg it's a stock market...........

As long as it's under 800 shipped and it has the 1:1 fix who cares. I mean... uh... yeah, newegg, lower the price :)

Got mine back from the BenQ repair facility today...the 1:1 works I was testing it with my Wii earlier...then I go to plug it into my PC and the DVI port isn't working...

It just turns on for a second, says "No signal detected" and then the power light turns orange. The monitor works fine with component inputs for my Wii...

While the monitor was at the facility I was having to use an old CRT that had D-Sub connectors only...is my computer somehow in "d-sub mode" for lack of a better term? Or should I be able to just disconnect my old monitor from my video card's D-Sub port, and plug in the FP241 into my video cards DVI port?

It's not the cable because the cable was working fine before I sent in the monitor (I did not send in the cable), and when I unplug the cable, the monitor says "no cable connected" as opposed to the "no signal detected" when it's plugged in...

Anyone experience this before? Or did the people break my DVI port when installing the new firmware...?

These things always happen to me... :(

My new LCD is on it way to BenQ for the same procedure. Reading from the previous posts you're not the first one to have this problem. I was concerned at first but then no one really cared. People said you had to restart Windows to get the dvi signal back.Please call benQ immediately and tell what's happening...........

What Video card do you have installed on you PC?

Just a 9700pro...I've restarted my computer 4 times with no success...I'll try again?

It must be the update. I tested mine before i sent it to BenQ. It stretched the picture but I was getting the DVI signal on my ATI X1950 Pro. Please call the tech support immediately & give them your RMA number. They 're on California time... 1 (866) 600-2367 I mean they made us pay for the damn shipping only to screw it up????? I want to know if more people who received the firmware fixed Canadian LCDs have thee very same DVI - DIE problem VS the Dec LCDs????

svt_02, did you also get a non-updated version, took it into BenQ for the upgrade, and when you got it back the DVI connection was no longer working? I'm not clear as to if you personally are having the same problem that I am, or if its just from previous posts in this thread. The posts a couple pages back aren't the same problem I'm having I don't think...

Are you in the exact same situation that I am?

svt_02, did you also get a non-updated version, took it into BenQ for the upgrade, and when you got it back the DVI connection was no longer working? I'm not clear as to if you personally are having the same problem that I am, or if its just from previous posts in this thread. The posts a couple pages back aren't the same problem I'm having I don't think...

Are you in the exact same situation that I am?

My LCD is on its way to BenQ for the firmware fix, but I did test it before I sent it out & dvi worked fine. So now I am scared. So you video card works via analog but no DVI at all???? Can you try a different PC/video card just in case, but I am sure its the LCD. With the new firmware applied, people would have Windows up and running and then as soon as the switch the output on LCD they can't go back to dvi connection unless they reboot the pc. Canadian customer w/ fixed firmware please stand up!!!! - are you too busy playing with your new toy or what:) Help!!!!!

Well, I know the first person on this forum to have this update done in Canada was BrokenAnnihilator who had none of these problems. He took it to the exact same repair place I dropped mine off at. So it isn't happening to everyone, just me! Restarting doesn't fix my computer at all, I've connected it and then navigated to the restart option using my keyboard, and done it twice with no signal ever showing up.

I don't have another PC or Video card with DVI, otherwise I'd test it, but all the other inputs on the monitor appear to be working fine so...

Well, I know the first person on this forum to have this update done in Canada was BrokenAnnihilator who had none of these problems. He took it to the exact same repair place I dropped mine off at. So it isn't happening to everyone, just me! Restarting doesn't fix my computer at all, I've connected it and then navigated to the restart option using my keyboard, and done it twice with no signal ever showing up.

I don't have another PC or Video card with DVI, otherwise I'd test it, but all the other inputs on the monitor appear to be working fine so...

Pull the power plug. then plug it back in. This way you know that you're rebooting.

They could have updated the firmware again between the time that he updated and time that you updated.

What about rebooting the display?

I've done that also, it just comes on, black screen with "input DVI" and then "no signal detected" and then turns off :(.

I'm deciding whether to call BenQ tomorrow, or just call Getronics, the repair place BenQ sent me to get it upgraded that appear to have messed this up.

I have read this thread until my eyes bleed, and all the info on P-MVA panels and S-PVA panels I could find, but I still can't answer this...

I have seen the difference between a Dell 2007wfp with S-IPS and S-PVA, and I cannot stand the PVA because of the viewing angle issues. You have to move to the side a bit to see the detail that S-IPS shows without trouble. How is the P-MVA with that issue? According to TFT Central, all VA's have this problem, and on a 24" I would think it would be worse because of the greater difference in angle from center to edges.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Just got my firmware updated (located in Sydney, Australia).

They were able to do it while I waited. It took them about 20 minutes to complete.

I now have some additional options in the "System" menu. They are:

Display mode (I can choose between "Full", Aspect" or 1:1)

and

DDC/CI (I can choose between "On" and "Off")

Did you ask how they do the update?

I don't own and don't plan to own this display, but am just curious how the update is applied.

No I didn't however the technician that did the update did say that BenQ were out earlier today to provide them with the tools to do the update.

.....still got the Nov w/o firmware fix. Phoned BenQ the same morning and spoke to two tech support guys - both new exactly what i was talking about w/ the firmware fix. The first one tried to convince me that the firmware is a minor fixed and is not worth all the trouble but I insisted and then we got disconnected. I dialed back - got another guy - he set me up w/ an RMA number and address of their Irvine CA facility .....

This lines up with my new philosphy...

A famous quote I heard recently stated, if you can't get the help you need, then just find another blue vest (referring to the uniforms the employees wear at Walmart)...I now use this all the time on the phone, at the store, etc. If you can't get good help from someone, close out the call and call back until you get someone who really cares. They're usually out there. They key is recognizing when you've wasted enough time and need to get another support person :)

My monitor from newegg arrived today. (ordered last Tuesday)

No firmware update. Manufactured in October. Shipped from New Jersey.

I've used a CRT my whole life (32 year old professional programmer/sysadmin) and I can honestly say that this is as good as a CRT. I'm certainly no graphics expert, but the color and motion is much better than I expected after reading about all the problems with LCDs. I'm very impressed. I think I will use it as my monitor for a while before I ship it back for the firmware update.

I wonder if that guy that said he got the new firmware from newegg works for them. :rolleyes:

....he set me up w/ an RMA number and address of their Irvine CA facility - the only place where the firmware can be put on the LCD without voiding the 3 year warranty. The s make me pay for the shipping both ways across the country (I'm in Buffalo NY) - came out to be just under 60 dollars w/ 800.00 shipment protection both ways via DHL Ground (FedEx ground doesn't do the prepaid stuff.) The beast weights just under 30Lbs. So you're not exactly saving money on this LCD w/o the firmware fix.

Hey, just had a revelation! Wonder if you could put down the service facility on your NewEgg order, they ship to there for free and then somehow pay the service facility to ship to you...then you would only have to pay the $30 one way....probably impossbile to get that to work, but if you could...hmmmm.

BTW, what type of SVT do you have? I've got a '99 Cobra.

I'm so close to getting this monitor...possible price drops in the next couple of months is delaying me, though...

It will take ages to verify shipping address by newegg people plus you need the RMA issued from BenQ prior to shipping/dropping off your LCD. You can't get the RMA without knowing your serial number a.k.a catch 22.

I would just like to thank everyone on this thread for all of the information that they have provided. It has been [Bpriceless[/B] in making a decision and has probably saved me at least a thousand dollars and a trip through tech support hell.:) I have been lurking and following this thread since the beginning (dam its been a long time) and I have finally pulled the trigger. I ordered one from NCIX tonight with express shipping and no dead pixel warranty, (i am hoping it will arrive on wednesday/thursday), and I can't wait. After months of waiting, it looks like BenQ is finally sorting this mess out. I wish everyone who has or is having problems with the monitor the best of luck (I may be back looking for solutions, but I hope not;) ).
Anyway, I have noticed the lack of high quality pictures on this thread so far,(no offense to anyone who has posted pictures on this forum, like I said, it is because of those that I purchased this monitor) and I feel like I should contribute in some way. Once I get my monitor, I will be taking some pictures with my Canon 30D (An 8 Mgpxl DSLR-a good camera) for the common good. I hope it will help. If anyone has any requests for images, let me know.I have a 360,original xbox,PS2,Gamecube, (N64 just in case someone is curious:p ), I also have some 1080P movies (Gladiator,Goodfellas,Blackhawk Down) and some 720P movies on my pc,(Pulp Fiction,Fifth Element,The Untouchables)(make a request for a movie, I might have it) so I will be hooking that up with Gears:D . Can't wait!
Please, do not hesitate to, either pm me at this site with requests of items that havent had pictures taken of them yet.
Thanks again for everyone on this thread who has put in hours dealing with BenQ and tech support. Without the members in this forum, this fix would never have happened. Just goes to show that the power is still with the people. Thanks again.

heh, now the display is 800 dollars plus 17 dollars shipping

for 16 dollars more than that I can order from canadia and get that 0 dead pixel plan

not to mention i havent seen anyone get the correct firmware from newegg yet

Back