Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Bad
- wish you could turn the power on and off while running windows, without loosing signal and not being able to continue without having to reboot the computer.

Is this true? I turn my Benq off, and back on all the time using the power button. Never had to reboot my computer once because of it. I've also hot-swapped the monitor with another monitor and all was fine when I re-connected the benq. This was after the Benq was unplugged. I just plugged the Benq back into the wall outlet, hooked it up to an already powered on windows machine, and the display was fine. I'm not sure if I understand this issue.

Is this true? I turn my Benq off, and back on all the time using the power button. Never had to reboot my computer once because of it. I've also hot-swapped the monitor with another monitor and all was fine when I re-connected the benq. This was after the Benq was unplugged. I just plugged the Benq back into the wall outlet, hooked it up to an already powered on windows machine, and the display was fine. I'm not sure if I understand this issue.

Might be an issue with my video card ( see Catrot post also ) , what video card are you using ?

Has anyone checked to see if NewEgg has burned through their stock of monitors with the older firmware yet? Can I purchase one from them with the 1:1 fix? Anyone know?

Might be an issue with my video card ( see Catrot post also ) , what video card are you using ?

i dont have this problem either.... i have a 9600PRO, no problem till now!

*keeping fingers crossed*

EDIT: ARGH... just got my first 1second black screen monitor... ARGH

someone knows if it's possible to create/find a software that would allow me to change the input via right click menu? (or any other way with the computer it self?)

Has anyone checked to see if NewEgg has burned through their stock of monitors with the older firmware yet? Can I purchase one from them with the 1:1 fix? Anyone know?

I just ordered one. Should be in Friday. I will post on here and let you know.

-Adam

I've been following this thread since it was in the single digits for pages and just ordered the FP241WZ (yes, Z!) from buy.com - They now show out of stock, but mine shipped today...

Review to follow when it gets here...

I've been following this thread since it was in the single digits for pages and just ordered the FP241WZ (yes, Z!) from buy.com - They now show out of stock, but mine shipped today...

Review to follow when it gets here...

Keep us posted! ;)

EVGA 8800 GTS. When I first connected the video card the monitor wouldn't display anything. I hooked up my other monitor in tandem with the benq, went in to Nvidia Control panel and enabled the display. After that all I had to do was disconnect the other monitor. This is the second 8800gts that I had. The first card, a BFG8800 GTS didn't have any problems at all. All is ok now. I've never had to go to Nvidia control panel after that.

Anyone having the same problems I'm having. If I turn on my computer then the Benq then I get no signal, but if I turn on the monitor first then computer I do get a signal. I'm using the included DVI cable connected to a PowerColor Radeon x1950 Pro AGP. I have the no signal problem switching from HDMI PS3 as well. Last night computer and monitor was running fine, then went out to eat so I turned the monitor off and came back turned on the monitor the monitor and no signal.

Catrot

Yes, I also have the same problem. By turning the monitor off ,while computer is on ( running windows ) and turning it on the signal gets lost.
Only thing to do is to reboot comp. This never happen while I had crt monitor, it always aquired the signal. My Benq is connected to Radeon 9800xt . Best solution for our problem is to never turn off your monitor.

If you want to leave computer running but have the monitor turn off for a while ( assuming you do not want screensaver application on ) I suggest to go to Control Panel / Power Setting and under Turn Off Monitor set it to desired time ( mine is 10 minutes ). After which computer goes into stand by mode and it shuts power off.
Than simply after you want to resume , press any button on the keybord. The monitor aquires signal without any problem.It has been tested. Hope that helps.

I have this exact same issue, using a ATI x800xt in windows vista, maybe its related to ATI graphics card/drivers? Are you using the supplied DVI cable or a different one?

What graphics card are you using?

I have Ati 9800 xt and am using standard dvi cable that came with my monitor. I also think that is not the driver issue but the card itself ( ati ?!?) and dvi output.

First time the I have noticed this was even before I installed windows xp and any ati drivers. I used Eraser to wipe out my hard drive of all windows files that are left even by reformating. This process takes 3-4
hours . So I shut off the monitor , just like I did with my crt before.
To my surprise this action caused my comp to hang and the monitor never came back on. So I repeated the procedure but never shut the
monitor off and it worked.
Now I am really scared to turn of the monitor even by mistake during
windows normal operations so I do not loose data by having to reboot the computer.

I also know that I will depart from ATI based cards shortly not just because of this issue, but also because I think video quality playback in movies is much better in Nvidia than Ati video cards.
I had old Nvidia card with 64 mgb ram and upgraded to Ati 9800XT with 256 mgb ram which is far more superior card. But whan I played avi or mpg files I noticed to my surprise the the quality worsened by about two times. ( all computer specs remained the same I only changed the video card )
Also locking aspect ratio within Nvidia control panel is a plus over Ati.

I have this exact same issue, using a ATI x800xt in windows vista, maybe its related to ATI graphics card/drivers? Are you using the supplied DVI cable or a different one?

I have this problem(getting worst...) i have an sapphire ATI 9600PRO, but IF i remember correctly, people with NVIDIA have the same problem. Can someone with an NVIDIA card post and tell us please...

I ordered a DVI cable from monoprice which should arrive tomorrow since they are really close to me. I'll let you know if theres any problems. I'll try and post some shots of Virtual Fighter 5 on the PS3 and some shots of the screen with WII on component at 4:3 and 16:9

When i first received my BenQ monitor I connected it up using the supplied DVI cable, the on/off didnt work at all, even when removing the cable and connecting back up it would still say no signal found. I tried it with the DVI cable I had from my old monitor, the same thing happened.

I sent it away to get firmware fix, got it back with no fix (previous posts explain whats gone on) but was told mainboard had been replaced. Tried the on/off again it didnt work, but this time if i removed the cable and connected again it would receive a signal. After sending it back for the 2nd time to get the firmware fix, they contacted me the other day and said they have tested the on/off and it is working fine, they didnt state what setup, so it could be graphics card related.

When i looked to buy a new DVI cable they all looked exactly the same, no brand name or anything just the bog standard DVI cable so i dont think a replacement DVI cable will solve the problem, but looks like its the fault of the graphics card with this monitor.

but looks like its the fault of the graphics card.

Doubtable since people with different card and rig have the same problem. And those without this problem are rare(minority have a perfectly working monitor without that black-out problem)

I think right now the only input with the problem is the PC input, but I'll turn on my WII and PS3 right now to test if switching between them has problems.

Ok I have a problem with the xbox 360 hooked up to this monitor via VGA cable. When I select 720, everythings fine, but when I select 1080, its over sized...meaning:

Edge of display | Edge of physical monitor |||| Edge of physical monitor | Edge of display

I dont know what to do...its stretched wide? i dont get this.

Ok I have a problem with the xbox 360 hooked up to this monitor via VGA cable. When I select 720, everythings fine, but when I select 1080, its over sized...meaning:

Edge of display | Edge of physical monitor |||| Edge of physical monitor | Edge of display

I dont know what to do...its stretched wide? i dont get this.

i used to find that when setting the xbox to 1080 the screen would be overstretched and the auto adjust function wouldnt work; i found switching to dvi and the back to VGA until the auto adjust corrected it. The only problem with this was once it was adjusted correctly it would show up as 1680x1050 on the information OSD.

For those of you with a crooked stand I had one two. I was pissed too because BenQ where being total pricks about it. I also know having been in the game for a long time if I sent it back to BenQ that I would of gotten a "refurbished" model that they would call brand new, to replace mine with. (which is what happened to poor element309 a few pages back) Which basically means someone sent it back for uneven back lighting or dead pixels, a Benq "tech" looks at it and says it's fine...and boom send it to the next poor sap.

Anyways, I took apart the whole stand. Most of the screws are hard to get at because of that useless plastic but the main screw that aligns the stand was over tightened. So I loosened that up a little and then really put a lot of pressure on it to straighten it out, I mean a lot more pressure then I was comfortable with. I could see it was off by the slightest bit. So far it worked pretty good, it's not perfect, still a little bit crooked by 2/16th of an inch, but definitely better and not a problem anymore.

Seems like the problem with my FP241W is just the PC input. If I turned the monitor off and on it'll say no signal. Tested with the HDMI and Component and they work fine if you turn off the monitor on and off. So its either the Monitor or ATI video card. Anyone with Nvidia experiencing the same problems?

I think I remember that a new thread has been started for the WZ, but I figure this ought to be posted here since the WZ is being discussed here as well:

BeHardware Reviews BenQ FP241WZ

Reading that review completely turned me off of the WZ, now I'm just waiting to see if ViewSonic's RMA procedure is going to give me an excuse to replace this dying CRT ;)

I thought the WZ had a silver frame? Where'd you get it from?

I wasn't sure what color I would be getting when I ordered it since it is always pictured with the silver frame. But when I ordered it is said black, and it is completely black. I bought mine from TECHONWEB. Very nice vendor! But they are sold out right now. I see TigerDirect has them on sale for $799. Here is a link.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=FP241WZ&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=online&scoring=p

Received my FP241W yesterday from ncix! No defects! No dead pixels, no uneven stand, no nothing! This is a secondary monitor to go with my laptop, and it's a HUGE upgrade from my 5-6 year old 30ms piece of crap lcd!

I do notice the red tint over vga, but it's not to the point where it's annoying. The redness doesn't really stand out in my situation, because the monitor outshines all my other displays, so all the colours are more intense instead of just red.

As some of the others have said, PIP isn't too great, but I never had PIP before, so I can live with not using it!

Doubtable since people with different card and rig have the same problem.

Yeah, what I really meant was it seems to be graphic card specific in each different case. Im using ATI X800XT but the people at repairtech said they have no fault with on/off with DVI, as im guessing they are using a different graphics card (thats if they have actually tested it and not just saying it, i wouldnt be surprised).

I do notice the red tint over vga, but it's not to the point where it's annoying. The redness doesn't really stand out in my situation, because the monitor outshines all my other displays, so all the colours are more intense instead of just red.

I think all BenQ have a very very slight tint of red on VGA; I had it when i first got the monitor and connected Xbox360 via VGA and it was slighty noticable in Burnout Revenge but not a big enough deal for me to tweak the colours. After getting my monitor back from the repair, the red tint is alot more noticable and quite annoying. As ive said in previous posts, i put this fault of repairtech rather than BenQ and is very unlikely you would get one like this from new.

I think I remember that a new thread has been started for the WZ, but I figure this ought to be posted here since the WZ is being discussed here as well:

BeHardware Reviews BenQ FP241WZ

Reading that review completely turned me off of the WZ, now I'm just waiting to see if ViewSonic's RMA procedure is going to give me an excuse to replace this dying CRT ;)
*sigh* Behardware really needs to update their review to mention that BenQ has denied virtually every claim made in that review. After that review was posted, BenQ said that they are not using the Samsung panel Behardware claimed, and that they are using a true BFI, not the scanning backlight stuff that Behardware posted. No production models were available at the time that review was written, so it's possible that Behwardware was looking at some out-of-date preproduction model or something. All this info came from BenQ UK and was posted at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk shortly after the Behardware review.

The Behardware review has been posted numerous times in this and other threads on this board and has caused nothing but confusion. I wish Behardware would take it down or add a note that mentions BenQ's response. Hopefully now that the Z model has been released we can finally get some definitive info on which panel is being used and how well the BFI works.

I think all BenQ have a very very slight tint of red on VGA; I had it when i first got the monitor and connected Xbox360 via VGA and it was slighty noticable in Burnout Revenge but not a big enough deal for me to tweak the colours. After getting my monitor back from the repair, the red tint is alot more noticable and quite annoying. As ive said in previous posts, i put this fault of repairtech rather than BenQ and is very unlikely you would get one like this from new.

Yeah, perhaps. Mine's manufactured in Nov 06, so NCIX did the update and not BenQ.

*sigh* Behardware really needs to update their review to mention that BenQ has denied virtually every claim made in that review. After that review was posted, BenQ said that they are not using the Samsung panel Behardware claimed, and that they are using a true BFI, not the scanning backlight stuff that Behardware posted. No production models were available at the time that review was written, so it's possible that Behwardware was looking at some out-of-date preproduction model or something. All this info came from BenQ UK and was posted at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk shortly after the Behardware review.

The Behardware review has been posted numerous times in this and other threads on this board and has caused nothing but confusion. I wish Behardware would take it down or add a note that mentions BenQ's response. Hopefully now that the Z model has been released we can finally get some definitive info on which panel is being used and how well the BFI works.

You took the words right out of my mouth...I posted a ton of links on page 128, or you can google search for "fp241wz a-mva", but it's pretty clear that the WZ is going to have that new panel...

Nevertheless, I'll have mine on Monday...Don't know if I'll be able to even tell what panel it is using, but I can certainly give a good non technical review as to the usefulness of BFI, which is what I think everyone is looking for...

That's not the problem. The problem is a red tint over VGA, but not over DVI. Maybe BenQ has a red tint overall, but the VGA red problem is different than a overall monitor warmness.

I found a weird problem with this monitor and the 360. Before having this monitor, I'd play my 360 either on my old tv or my old monitor, via composite and vga respectively. In both cases, I'd run the red/white audio cables to a pair of extension adaptors and a second set of red/white cables to my stereo because it's out of reach of the normal 360 cables. All of this worked fine.

After receiving my FP241W, I tried component, vga, and composite inputs for the 360 and unless I run the red/white audio cables into the stereo directly, I get a constant tone over the speakers. So the extension set up is not getting along well with this monitor in my case. I don't quite understand how this can happen.

At first, I thought perhaps since I'm running video at a much higher resolution, maybe all the power is going to drive the image and less is to drive the audio and the signal gets lost over a longer distance of cables (extension setup). Then I realized it also happens with composite video, so that rules my silly theory out.

Anyone having the same problem as I am? Or anyone perhaps with spare red/white composite cables lying around to simulate my setup and see if they run into the same problems?

Hi

Does anybody know if fp241w bought i Denmark ships with the firmware upgrade.

I am very interested in this monitor but i don't want to send it out for a firmware upgrade
after i bought it.

By the way, i am new here and this is my first post.

jof

Are the HDMI and DVI inputs two separate inputs? Can I have my laptop hooked up via DVI and my PS3 hooked up via HDMI and switch between them?

Are the HDMI and DVI inputs two separate inputs? Can I have my laptop hooked up via DVI and my PS3 hooked up via HDMI and switch between them?

Yes they are separate. Though some people have had problems with loosing the signal when switching input if I remember correctly.

I have a followup question. The HDMI on the BenQ, does it have HDCP?

Back