Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Hello Folks!!!

i have been following this thread for more than 7 months now and have seen the rise and fall of the FP241W fame and the problems with 1:1 !

i have decided upon buying this monitor a long time ago and i am now finally planning to purchase it in the following days! i have enquired at the store and their shipment is from march 2007 production stock. and i believe that this will have the updated firmware.

my main use will be as a PC monitor, with occasional hookups with dvd players etc. i dont own any consoles and the Xbox Elite is around the corner as a next buy.

i am going to use this monitor with my new PC scheduled to be built the next month and i am planning to buy the EVGA geforce 8800 gts 320 mb KO acs3 edition.

do i need to bother myself with all these 1:1 problems ???

will my video card will be able to run this monitor at full res for 3d apps and games etc (occasional gamer, But lots of 3d and graphic design !!! )

Please advice!

thanks a lot

I just phoned BenQ (UK) and their official story is that the second firmware update is still in development. They still can't provide a release date but they did say that they get updated every couple of weeks so if it had been released or abandoned then they should know about it. Hopefully they don't intend to inflict the March 2007 update on us over here.

I've just tried my monitor with an ATI HD 2900 XT and its doing something different but still wrong. The drivers are totally refusing to let me go above 1920x1080 over HDMI. With the nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS I could do 1920x1200 or 1080p over HDMI and both worked correctly. With this card I'm limited to 1080p and thats not working properly. But its not cropping 5% off the edges. Its weirder than that. Its displaying the whole 1920x1080 pixels but on about 90% of the monitor!

I'm still trying to find out if there is a way to force it into 1920x1200 but haven't had any luck yet.

Is there any major difference between this and the WZ model? If I get the BenQ I'm wondering if I should get this or spend a little more money and get the WZ.

I cant really tell the difference aside from hearing one uses one type of panel and the other doesn't. Can someone clear this up for me? I'm confused..

Hey everyone, I just got off of the line with James at Benq HQ in Irvine, California. He confirmed with the tech on location that the old firmware update (december) and the new firmware update (march) have issues (i.e. shrunken image, and 5% cropping). He informed me the best thing to do is to send in cutomer comments which will be sent off to the HQ in Taiwan to get the steam rolling on a firmware update.

He has provided us with a number to his office at the RMA department so that you can explain your situations to him further and he can fill you in on how to send your comments. I assume these issues are prevalent on all of the FP241X/X series monitors so please do call in if you want your hardware functioning as it was intended to.

The number is 1(949)255-9571 and the representatives name is James, a very excellent fellow if I do say so myself.

Please do it, for great justice! Oh and do include any references like images and forum posts like this one to further bolster our cause.

Too anyone that is planning to buy this monitor, all I can say is: "Don't do it kid!" :mad: :(

Why don't you guys return this monitor and get something else? $800 for a monitor + misrepresented product + time wasted as your monitor gets repaired while only making it worse + more time wasted to explain your situation to a company in TAIWAN... It's not worth it.

Well i finally bit the bullet and purchased the fp241w yesterday. i was able to get it for $623.00 shipped. Im using a 8800GTX and will only be using this as a COMPUTER monitor. I might decide to view DVDs on it once in a while...but i do prefer the couch for that. Of all the hundreds of threads and review sites i've read i still believe this is the best 24" HD monitor for the price. Every screen has it's quirks depending on what you try to do with it. I own the BenQ DW1655 and love it! So once i receive the big guy i'll return here and relay my experience.

Hello Folks!!!

i have been following this thread for more than 7 months now and have seen the rise and fall of the FP241W fame and the problems with 1:1 !

i have decided upon buying this monitor a long time ago and i am now finally planning to purchase it in the following days! i have enquired at the store and their shipment is from march 2007 production stock. and i believe that this will have the updated firmware.

my main use will be as a PC monitor, with occasional hookups with dvd players etc. i dont own any consoles and the Xbox Elite is around the corner as a next buy.

i am going to use this monitor with my new PC scheduled to be built the next month and i am planning to buy the EVGA geforce 8800 gts 320 mb KO acs3 edition.

do i need to bother myself with all these 1:1 problems ???

will my video card will be able to run this monitor at full res for 3d apps and games etc (occasional gamer, But lots of 3d and graphic design !!! )

Please advice!

thanks a lot

any suggestions guys???

waiting to finalize!!!

Well i finally bit the bullet and purchased the fp241w yesterday. i was able to get it for $623.00 shipped. Im using a 8800GTX and will only be using this as a COMPUTER monitor. I might decide to view DVDs on it once in a while...but i do prefer the couch for that. Of all the hundreds of threads and review sites i've read i still believe this is the best 24" HD monitor for the price. Every screen has it's quirks depending on what you try to do with it. I own the BenQ DW1655 and love it! So once i receive the big guy i'll return here and relay my experience.

There is always a better one if you just wait one more month! :D

Nice price. Maybe someday firmware upgrades will be a thing of the past.

I mean, isn't it like an E prom flash? I'm a dumbass, and I don't mean to simplify a problem, but couldn't someone figure out a fix for that problem. I mean, why can't a firmware update be done over the Internet, since it's only software?

I'm thinking a flash card slot or something, BenQ dudes figure it out!

I mean, isn't it like an E prom flash? I'm a dumbass, and I don't mean to simplify a problem, but couldn't someone figure out a fix for that problem. I mean, why can't a firmware update be done over the Internet, since it's only software?

or even use the USB function on the monitor...

im not sure how firmware on monitors work, however i own the BenQ 1655 optical drive and all i did was download a flasher and the updated firmware and did it myself in like 30 seconds. If someone who writes code could write a flasher for the monitor and BenQ would release the downloadable firmware im sure we could do it.

Yeeesh, that youtube video of the blackouts was brutal, didn't know they got that bad. I did the DVI cable swap a week ago, swapping my old Dell cable I've used for a few years with the cable that came with the Benq, haven't seen any blackouts yet in the week since I've done it. Since I was only getting maybe 1 or 2 a week, I'd give it another week before feeling some confidence. Other than that though, I'm happy with the display.

I was debating whether to get the LG or BenQ, but after reading you guys I get the sense it's a no brainer.

LG it is, huh?

I was debating whether to get the LG or BenQ, but after reading you guys I get the sense it's a no brainer.

LG it is, huh?

NO, get the Benq, the Wz Model,is better.
If you look back in the pages of this thread you will see a link about a test of 3 Monitors Benq, LG, Samsung, the Benq was better even with it's niggles.:D

Better? It's pretty close...If you do console gaming it's better, but for just pc use/gaming, LG is better because of better default colors, and not being as bright as the fp241wz and the cost.

The FP241VW just went on sale in Japan, and you can turn overscan off or on.
That and the WJ and WZ models have been confirmed to have A-MVA panels, with the help of this site. (W model having the P-MVA)

Regardless of the companies handling of the firmware issue, this has just moved to the top of my list..

NO, get the Benq, the Wz Model,is better.
If you look back in the pages of this thread you will see a link about a test of 3 Monitors Benq, LG, Samsung, the Benq was better even with it's niggles.:D
It was actually the BenQ, LG, and Dell, and if you read his review Jim says that they're all basically equal for PC use. He preferred the BenQ because it had more inputs and compatibility with old consoles, which was important to him. But if you don't need them, there doesn't really seem to be any reason to prefer the BenQ. I haven't heard of the blackout problem being an issue with the LG, and Jim also found that it has lowest latency of all three.

The BenQ sounds great on paper, but the blackout problems, overscan issues, and most of all the horrendous customer support are keeping me away.

It was actually the BenQ, LG, and Dell, and if you read his review Jim says that they're all basically equal for PC use. He preferred the BenQ because it had more inputs and compatibility with old consoles, which was important to him. But if you don't need them, there doesn't really seem to be any reason to prefer the BenQ. I haven't heard of the blackout problem being an issue with the LG, and Jim also found that it has lowest latency of all three.

The BenQ sounds great on paper, but the blackout problems, overscan issues, and most of all the horrendous customer support are keeping me away.
It's also the poor CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM BENQ that keeps me thinking to buy something else, but for me it's a toss of a coin for either Benq Wz model or the LG?:confused:

So.. should I buy the WZ model? Or should I get the cheaper FP241W model? Which is the better monitor? :/

If I hook my PS3 up using the DVI and hook the monitor to the computer with the HDMI will that solve the problem with the cropping?

The Graphics card can't control the resolution on the HDMI? So is the only solution at the moment to just get a DVI switch box then?

Can anyone confirm that the HDMI connected to the PC with a HDMI to DVI adapter doesn't display correctly? I was gonna buy some cables and was gonna test it, but if someone already tried it then I'll save myself the 5 bucks.
Hmm even if they fix the HDMI, the component is still broken, since my WII widescreen doesn't display correctly.

Got my FP241WJ today! It's the FP241W but with an A-MVA panel and updated firmware. Viewing angles are just awesome. Got it for about $640 USD (but in Japan)

The monitor surface is silky smooth and it picks up some glare from an angle, as you can see in the screenshots.

I was worried about the brightenss of this monitor, but in standard mode its no problem. It's about the same brightness as my laptop screen in this mode, I only turned down brightness and contrast a little bit.

hi again,
i posted in page 175 regarding my blackout issues.

i received my monitor about a week ago from my local Benq repair agent, and so far no blackouts! :D

the issue was indeed a power unit in the monitor. ill be keeping a close eye on this thread as well as my monitor.

I think I just had a blackout 5 hours after receiving the monitor....

The screen went blank for about a second, then on again for a second, 3 times consequtively....

Is this the blackout problem?

Hmm well I just bought a DVI To HDMI adapter and HDMI to DVI adapter. I plan to just switch the inputs DVI on the PS3 and HDMI to PC. Has anyone tried a Component to VGA adapter for the WII? or does the VGA have problems too.....?

I have 2 fp241w's (dual 24's!) and I have never experienced the 'blackout' issue. I also did not use the cables that came with the benq display which I think may be the issue. I'm using the dvi cables that came with my previous dell monitor and have had no issues.

p.s. I'm using the ergotron ds100 dual monitor stand and its perfect with this setup.

As a graphic designer (on Mac G5) who's looking to replace his 22" CRT (ViewSonic, just an OK monitor), I keep reading stuff on line and keep changing my mind on an hourly basis...

I like this BenQ FP241W... But am concerned that working with colors -- I'm also doing Photoshop work, retouching and SOME color corrections -- this monitor (or any of it's comparable-price rivals) is not up to par...

The other option is some $600 more expensive, the Eizo S2411W, seems more reliable, but I'm not so sure, and I don't like it's small base, and the fact you can't really RAISE it higher...

I've read a post on another board, the guy was explaining that "If the display is too bright, then it won't be able to render color properly and it can fool your eyes into thinking things are brighter than they actually are leading you to make darker than expected prints. In addition, it's not good for the eyes unless viewing in bright conditions not suitable for color correcting. The ideal brightness of a LCD is 120cd/m2 (candela per millimeter squared) and you should look for a display that can be dimmed to that level. 140cd/m2 at the most."

But then I read somewhere else that this particular BenQ has a problem with lowering the brightness and maintaining good color varaition...

My office is quite bright, so I don't think I will have any problem with TOO MUCH brightness... But I need accurate colors.

Thanks for your input!

Just got my HDMI to DVI adapter. Tried it on my x1950 Pro AGP. Graphics card says max resolution is 1920 x 1080. I forced 1920 x 1200 and it just made black bars all around like the PS3. Going to test the HDMI with a DVI cable on the monitor just for the hell of it.

Edit: Just tried the HDMI port with a DVI cable. Basically same thing, but wanted to try it anyways. Weird thing though, sometimes when you set it to 1920 x 1080 the sides are still cut off, but you change the res and then back and its fine.
Guess I need a DVI switch box now =\. One other weird thing, when you set the res to 1920 x 1080, it changes it to 1080i for some reason. Damn Benq.......

@cactrot:

I've tried the DVI-HDMI cables and have similar results. Oddly though the first time i switched to the cable while the comouter was on I received the full 1920 X 1200 resolution. After restarting it resorted to 1080i....

I've given up and now manually swich between my ps3 and pc. It's not such a big deal as the ps3 is hardly on given the lack of killer games...

Yea.... if the resolution was at 1920 x 1200 before I switch the cable, it will still be at 1920 x 1200 with HDMI when I reboot. Except theres black bars all around and once I change the res it no longer becomes an option.

I've read a post on another board, the guy was explaining that "If the display is too bright, then it won't be able to render color properly and it can fool your eyes into thinking things are brighter than they actually are leading you to make darker than expected prints. In addition, it's not good for the eyes unless viewing in bright conditions not suitable for color correcting. The ideal brightness of a LCD is 120cd/m2 (candela per millimeter squared) and you should look for a display that can be dimmed to that level. 140cd/m2 at the most."

But then I read somewhere else that this particular BenQ has a problem with lowering the brightness and maintaining good color varaition...

My office is quite bright, so I don't think I will have any problem with TOO MUCH brightness... But I need accurate colors.

Thanks for your input!

This was one of my most worrying concerns, turns out its not an issue at all with the benq. If you switch to standard mode, the brightness and contrast can be turned out to very comfortable levels. (I heard the lowest point on this monitor is about 60-80cd/m2). My vaio laptop screen feels brighter.

If you're playing games or watching video, you can turn to dynamic or video mode, and you get bright, vivid colours. (too bright for work/desktop use though in these modes)

As a graphic designer (on Mac G5) who's looking to replace his 22" CRT (ViewSonic, just an OK monitor), I keep reading stuff on line and keep changing my mind on an hourly basis...

My SO is a graphic designer who just ordered a new Mac Pro for her photoshop work.

We got one of Apple's Cinema Display 23" and I'm using it on my Vista machine 'till her Mac comes in... I can report it's an awesome, albeit expensive, display with perfect brightness and very accurate color.

Thanks for your comforting words, Frychiko. I read somewhere (I read so much in the past couple days I don't know what and where anymore...) a poster claiming that by the time he lowered the brightness to what he thought would get him accurate colors -- the colors got hardly distinguishable... But he is using his monitor in a very low light conditions, while my office is pretty much lit...

DaverJ, I was considering the Apple 23" but I really would like to take advantage of the extra 1" real estate, yet save couple hundred $...

I read a bit about the different "Panel Technologies" and learned that in general, S-IPS is better, more professional and expensive than the VA (S-PVA and MVA) and then there is TN which is the least in quality and price. I see that the Apple widescreens use S-ISP, while the rest of the comparable ones use S-PVA or MVA (including the much more expensive Eizo)... But then, again, somebody was complaining about S-ISP technology too...

You might want to check out the NEC2690wuxi. It has a 25.5'' display with 1920x1200, covers 91% of Adobe RGB colour space and has a S-IPS panel. Its more expensive than the competition but has the advantage of possible hardware calibration via its internal 12-bit lookup table. Also check out the Dell 30'' 3007WFP-HC (also with 92% colour gamut) with its massive 2560x1600 resolution and S-IPS panel. This one needs a dual-DVI signal and has no inbuild scaler, so can only display the native resolution and a quarter (1280x800). This is the one I will go for as it sells for less than the NEC around here (UK). I dont care about HDMI and hardware scaling as it will be solely connected to my PC, so always on the full resolution.

Back