Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

If you can find a June (or later) 2007 build of the FP241W I would suggest that.

The VW has no height adjustable stand and looks like a TV. The WZ has the (just above) useless BFI feature which supposedly removes motion blur and ghosting at the cost of flicker. I call the feature the Background Flicker Introducer. I also don't know which build date for the WZ gives all the overscan controls (maybe June 2007 or September as well for North America).

Regards,

10e

Thanks so far!

So what are the differences between the models W VW WZ in a few words? Eg. which one should i buy? :)

But like I said, my Westinghouse L2410nm, and the BenQ G2400W do not show this green scan line at the bottom, and I've done the tiger dave test with overscan on both and neither shows any overscan over HDMI on the PS3 whatsoever.

10e

10e, I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. But maybe i wasn't clear, if you're playing games or general stuff on a PS3 with overscan "off" you shouldn't see a green scan line in the HDMI input. But if you're watching a blu-ray or standard DVD with your PS3 through the HDMI input with overscan "off" you will see the scan lines.

Also, if you have HD cable or satellite and have it hooked up through HDMI, you will also see the green/purple scan lines with overscan "off."

Someone has test FP241W with Vista 64bits
I have seen on the Benq site that no driver for Vista and i plan to install Vista 64 bits on my new system with this LCD

Hi,

Does anyone know if Windows XP Pro 64 Bit will work with the BenQ FP241W?
Only I've just bought an FP241W which arrives in a few days and I need to add a version of Windows to my Mac but not too sure on which version to install :confused:

Anyone have both this monitor and the lg l245/246wp? both seem to be good monitors and both very similar prices, anyone do a comparison? thanks.

Hi,

Only I've just bought an FP241W which arrives in a few days and I need to add a version of Windows to my Mac but not too sure on which version to install :confused:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Windows uses generic monitor drivers anyways, you don't HAVE to install the benq drivers, but I usually do.

I'm running Vistax64 and it's running my benq just fine.

Anyone have both this monitor and the lg l245/246wp? both seem to be good monitors and both very similar prices, anyone do a comparison? thanks.

Yeah, I believe someone did a comparison many pages back.

I know it's a pain, but just sort through the pages or do a search.

Hi,

Im seriously considering purchasing a BenQ FP241w. I use my laptop for mainly graphics, photos and surfing the net, it has a crappy 1680x1050 tn panel judging by the poor viewing angles. If i get it i hope to hook it up via DVI and run it as a dual monitor whilst im at home.

My question is whether the panel would automatically scale the 1680x1050 signal up to fit the screen? and if not how will the panel perform at 1680x1050?

I ask this as i require a quality monitor for my latop as the onboard panel is abysmal but also looking to future-proof if i decide to move to upgrade to a desktop. Is this a good panel to do so?

Thanks!

Yes it will, or it won't depending on how you set it.

If you set it at 1:1 it will leave black bars on each side, but if you set it to do full or aspect scaling it will scale the picture to the full size of 1920x1200 but it does not look incredible IMHO as you are stretching to a larger size..

Regards,

10e

Hi,

Im seriously considering purchasing a BenQ FP241w. I use my laptop for mainly graphics, photos and surfing the net, it has a crappy 1680x1050 tn panel judging by the poor viewing angles. If i get it i hope to hook it up via DVI and run it as a dual monitor whilst im at home.

My question is whether the panel would automatically scale the 1680x1050 signal up to fit the screen? and if not how will the panel perform at 1680x1050?

I ask this as i require a quality monitor for my latop as the onboard panel is abysmal but also looking to future-proof if i decide to move to upgrade to a desktop. Is this a good panel to do so?

Thanks!

Sorry, let me clarify. The last statement was a bit vague,

I get the green line on the bottom of the screen at 1080i/p on the FP241VW over HDMI OR DVI with the PS3. With the latest PS3 firmware, it's disappeared from the XMB and games, but still shows up on BluRay. In addition, the line went from being a "dotted" line of green and magenta to a solid green line all the way across the bottom. I checked it this morning again, now that I seem to have my PS3 working properly on my FP241VW at 1080p with no blinking regardless of my PC's state.

Scientific Atlanta 3250HD? No. I just get a small horizontal white line about three pixels in width and an inch in length about 4 inches from the right top corner of the screen.

Hope that helps.

10e

10e, I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. But maybe i wasn't clear, if you're playing games or general stuff on a PS3 with overscan "off" you shouldn't see a green scan line in the HDMI input. But if you're watching a blu-ray or standard DVD with your PS3 through the HDMI input with overscan "off" you will see the scan lines.

Also, if you have HD cable or satellite and have it hooked up through HDMI, you will also see the green/purple scan lines with overscan "off."

I have one specific question:

I have an opportunity to possibly get an FP241W with the new firmware.

I am curious. Does this monitor work properly when a PC is connected to DVI and a PS3 or 360 on HDMI at 1080p? I am interested to know if anyone here is doing this, as if that's the case it's bye bye FP241VW and hello FP241W.

Regards.

10e

got a pc via DVI, PS3 via HDMI (optical out to z-5500), 360 via VGA, digital hd cable via component

all work perfectly and look amazing

Well then, I guess that makes my choice clear.

I have established another user on NCIX' forums that has the same issue concerning PS3 only at 1080i over HDMI when the DVI is in use, so that is confirmed, and now I have seen one FP241W and one FP241WZ that work properly.

I'll try one last step of using the GTS tonight and see how that goes. Otherwise it's in with the old and out with the new.

Update/Edit: I seem to have fixed the issue and am able to use FP241VW at 1080p with my PS3. I've posted the solution on the FP241VW thread. It seems the ATI 3870/3870x2s don't play nice with the DVI to HDMI switching unless certain parameters are set in the CCC. I will still try the 8800GTS but it's not as important. Hopefully this will be the last of it and I can start truly enjoying the monitor.

Thanks for the info.

10e

The two panels are quite equivalent in quality, so it boils down to which one works better for you. I briefly had the April 2007 firmware FP241W and the LG L246WP last year and found that the LG worked better with Xbox 360 over VGA and component than that model, but once the newer firmware came out for the FP241W (June or September 2007 depending on the market) these issues on the FP241W are fixed.

I know the LG is tough to find, as it is seemingly discontinued, but the FP241W seems to have only recently made a come back to the market here in North America.

Either monitor will be a winner if the various connectors fulfill your requirements.

Regards,

10e

I can vouch for 10e.

I'm currently using my FP241W for my workstation and my 360 via VGA (Microsoft's VGA cable) and it looks great. It's true the colours don't seem to look as great as using component, but the visuals are smoother and less edgy with the VGA cable over the component cable.

Also if you don't have a VGA cable yet for the 360 I suggest getting the Microsoft one over the cheaper one. I forget the brand. I had the cheaper one and noticed the graphics looked off. Went out and grabbed the Microsoft one and it's MUCH better. I was surprised since a VGA cable is a VGA cable, but this time it wasn't.

This way you can also free up the component inputs on the monitor for a stand alone player DVD player or something like a Wii just for kicks.

ok ive had my current monitor for a while now (after swapping them and sending them back and forth for upgrades and faults) but the buzzing noise is starting to irritate me.
Once the monitor gets hot or warm after being swithed on for a couple of hours there is a buzzing noise which sounds like its mainly coming from the left hand side of the monitor, it can be heard stronger at the top left of the monitor. It is audible at normal distance.

Is there anyway I could solve this myself without sending it back?

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Mark

Not on my FP241W, but I've read about some users reporting a slight buzz on their models. I bought mine from BenQ refurbished with a limited 90 day warranty and its still running well for over 1.5 years

yeah, i called for an RMA under warranty. I was very surprised of how they dealt with it compared to my past experiences. It looks like they have changed alot of things with the warranty procedure for the better (in the UK) - just have to see if they deliver on providing me with a new monitor with no faults.

Ive been on the lookout for a 24" for sometime now and if i get one it will be the FP241W.

Just one thing on my mind is that this monitor is more than 18 months old should i let that worry me?

the monitor you're going to buy is 18mths old or are you saying the monitor model itself is 18mths old.

If you are buying new it shouldn't be a problem and if not better as they should have got rid of common problems and firmware software is up to date.

Yes, it works perfectly.

But are you trying to Bootcamp it? 'Cause I don't think you can bootcamp Vista x64 on a Mac using Leopard 10.5. I don't think Apple has 64 bit drivers for Vista, unless Vista will auto-install the 64 bit Apple device drivers.

Enjoy

10e

Hi,

Totally agree with Diphatic,

The FP241W has been nicely refined by BenQ over the course of its lifespan. Weirdly enough they have shown an extra commitment to getting this monitor updated with every feature they can think of, and every feature works pretty well.

Additionally, all the 2007/2008 models (except for a few new ones) have been inferior TN panels with nowhere near the number of connectors or level of functionality.

You will likely enjoy it.

Regards,

10e

Yeah its a new one i`ll be buying,anyways ordered it now.

:)

Totally agree with Diphatic,
Additionally, all the 2007/2008 models (except for a few new ones) have been inferior TN panels with nowhere near the number of connectors or level of functionality.
10e

Wait, you said the newer models also sold as FP241W are TN?? I originally wanted a 22" but they were all TN so I thought 241w but now they TNs???

According to this http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=236583
angles are still 178/178

EDIT: Also BENQs site http://www.benq.ca/products/LCD/?product=638&page=specifications

My FP241W (Sept 2007) won't allow sRGB mode while using the HDMI input. Also, when using the HDMI input, the monitor's brightness control crushes black if I set it below 89.

Any other FP241W owners see this behavior? Just wondering if it's common.

Yes, it works perfectly.

But are you trying to Bootcamp it? 'Cause I don't think you can bootcamp Vista x64 on a Mac using Leopard 10.5. I don't think Apple has 64 bit drivers for Vista, unless Vista will auto-install the 64 bit Apple device drivers.

Enjoy

10e

Hi 10e,

I will be using Bootcamp. I think I read somewhere that I would need to install XP first and then Vista. Not too sure on that but need to check.

Hi,

As far as I know the FP241W is still VA type panel, and I have the FP241VW and I am 100% sure it is the A-MVA panel, so rest assured it's not TN.

What I meant is that other than the FP241W/VW, alot of the newer models (including the BenQ G2400, T241W, etc...) are coming out as TN panels.

Regards,

10e

Wait, you said the newer models also sold as FP241W are TN?? I originally wanted a 22" but they were all TN so I thought 241w but now they TNs???

According to this http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=236583
angles are still 178/178

EDIT: Also BENQs site http://www.benq.ca/products/LCD/?product=638&page=specifications

That may work.

You install XP-32 first and then see if you can upgrade. Hopefully the correct 64-bit drivers can be added or found.

Regards,

10e

Hi 10e,

I will be using Bootcamp. I think I read somewhere that I would need to install XP first and then Vista. Not too sure on that but need to check.

That may work.

You install XP-32 first and then see if you can upgrade. Hopefully the correct 64-bit drivers can be added or found.

Regards,

10e

Watch this space!
When my brand new Mac Pro arrives next week I'll set up my FP241W (which is still in its box!) and do all the installations and let you know.:D

Hi,

As far as I know the FP241W is still VA type panel, and I have the FP241VW and I am 100% sure it is the A-MVA panel, so rest assured it's not TN.

What I meant is that other than the FP241W/VW, alot of the newer models (including the BenQ G2400, T241W, etc...) are coming out as TN panels.

Regards,

10e

Ah thanks you for that bit of clarification for a moment it sounds like you said new models of the 241e were TN lol

Yeah, sorry about that. Old age setting in.

There is a new T241W coming from BenQ but it is also a TN panel. It is definitely ill-equipped to be a replacement for the FP241W/VW line though.

10e

Ah thanks you for that bit of clarification for a moment it sounds like you said new models of the 241e were TN lol

I'm thinking about buying this monitor (the FP241W). I'm a bit concerned about this blackout problem though. BenQ have said with the 8800GT graphics card I have I shouldn't experience this problem as it mostly effects older graphics cards. Can people tell me if with this graphics card they have experienced this blackout problem?

They also state that very few people in the UK have experienced this blackout problem. So for those of you who are in the UK have you experienced this problem?

I'm wondering where to buy it from. I was thinking of getting it from amazon.co.uk. It's £446.24. Is it best to get from here or somewhere else? Isn't that price a bit on the high side?

I'm not in the UK, but my FP241VW works fabulously with my Galaxy or Asus 8800GTS card(s). It works far better than with ATI.

I have never experienced the blackout problem. I think it is far less commonplace with the later 2007 build dates.

Amazon traditionally is not overly cheap.

Regards,

10e

I'm thinking about buying this monitor (the FP241W). I'm a bit concerned about this blackout problem though. BenQ have said with the 8800GT graphics card I have I shouldn't experience this problem as it mostly effects older graphics cards. Can people tell me if with this graphics card they have experienced this blackout problem?

They also state that very few people in the UK have experienced this blackout problem. So for those of you who are in the UK have you experienced this problem?

I'm wondering where to buy it from. I was thinking of getting it from amazon.co.uk. It's £446.24. Is it best to get from here or somewhere else? Isn't that price a bit on the high side?

Does anyone play COD4 on this monitor as when i do i get a border on the top and bottom of my screen its been awhile since i played it but im sure i didnt get this with my previous 20" widescreen monitor.

EDIT

i had it on 1920x1080 thats why,my mistake.

Ian i got mine from overclockers.co.uk for £433 thats with delivery included so £10 cheaper than amazon.

I have been reviewing some of this thread and reading professional reviews. Two questions about this monitor.

1) Is it a good choice for office work? Is text sharp and easy to read?

2) Where can it be purchased in the U.S.? I have google searched online without much luck.

Thanks

Got my exchange unit yesterday - doesnt appear to have any buzzing issues but I dont think ive had the monitor on long enough yet. Unfortunately it has 1 dead pixel left of the centre which is abit irritating and 1 stuck pixel. Have left it on today running the image from killdeadpixel to see if it fixes it, probably not though.

They also exchanged my base stand (which I wasn't told about initially) and it appears to be a faulty one, when the monitor is swiveled left to right it is not level and cannot twist it to make it further. So not too great in my opinion.

Going to have a look in the dead/stuck pixel policy though I imagine they won't swap it again because of this.

RE: Blackout on 8800GT - I've just upgraded to a Leadtek 8800GT 512MB and not had any blackout issues with my previous and new unit.

Got my exchange unit yesterday - doesnt appear to have any buzzing issues but I dont think ive had the monitor on long enough yet. Unfortunately it has 1 dead pixel left of the centre which is abit irritating and 1 stuck pixel. Have left it on today running the image from killdeadpixel to see if it fixes it, probably not though.

They also exchanged my base stand (which I wasn't told about initially) and it appears to be a faulty one, when the monitor is swiveled left to right it is not level and cannot twist it to make it further. So not too great in my opinion.

Going to have a look in the dead/stuck pixel policy though I imagine they won't swap it again because of this.

RE: Blackout on 8800GT - I've just upgraded to a Leadtek 8800GT 512MB and not had any blackout issues with my previous and new unit.
I want to replace my FP241W to get the Overscan firmware (currently have April 07) but you're now the second person in the UK i've seen that has received back a unit with dead/stuck pixels. Did you have any bad pixels before sending it off? Also did you take note to see if it was the same display (by checking it's serial number?). Currently my display is flawless so i don't want to take the chance. I don't currently need the overscan option, as i'm solely using it connect to a PC via DVI, but i would like to futureproof it before the warranty expires.

On the blackout issue, I have a Sapphire 8800GT 512MB G92 and have had perhaps two blackouts in the 3 months i've had the display. And they were one after the other (turning back on after turning off automatically after 10 minutes kind of thing) so it definitely doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

I want to replace my FP241W to get the Overscan firmware (currently have April 07) but you're now the second person in the UK i've seen that has received back a unit with dead/stuck pixels. Did you have any bad pixels before sending it off? Also did you take note to see if it was the same display (by checking it's serial number?). Currently my display is flawless so i don't want to take the chance. I don't currently need the overscan option, as i'm solely using it connect to a PC via DVI, but i would like to futureproof it before the warranty expires.

It was a straight swap this time, rather than sending for a firmware upgrade.
I had no bad pixels on my old unit and the stand was perfect as well - if you send it in for a firmware upgrade you should get the same unit back and have no further problems with the display. When I sent my monitor in previous for the firmware upgrade the problem I had was that the firmware was not being upgraded - but that was 8-10months ago.

Anyone any tips on cleaning this?

On my Dell i used a microfiber cloth and it did pick the dust up but it doesnt on this benq it all just stays on the screen.

Screw that!

The only real great change is to get proper sizing for VGA @ 1920x1080 with an Xbox 360. You don't absolutely need to remove overscan, and it won't add any support that doesn't currently exist, it's just going to make some of the features work better.

But why take the risk? I would recommend selling it and getting a new one that at least you can ensure has a perfect panel as well.

Regards,

10e

On the blackout issue, I have a Sapphire 8800GT 512MB G92 and have had perhaps two blackouts in the 3 months i've had the display. And they were one after the other (turning back on after turning off automatically after 10 minutes kind of thing) so it definitely doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

Back