Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

the 2407wfp-hc is listed at 400cd/m2 brightness whereas the 2407wfp is 450cd/m2

brightness: 2407hc < 2407
color gamut: 2407hc > 2407

Hi,

Open this link in full screen http://www.darkthrone.com or set this image as a wallpaper http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2696/596905481920shadowtx1.jpg
and tell me if on your lcd also left side is a little bit brighter than the right side.

Thanks.

I did it on the 2407wfp-hc and I am able to convince myself that it is a little lighter on the left than the right. So I made a composite of the same image merged with a flipped version of itself. I can still believe the left is ever so slightly brighter than the right. Changing viewing angles adjusts that, lol. Maybe its just the lights in my office or maybe it is the panel. Dont know but its very slight, almost imperceptable.

Mac

I did it on the 2407wfp-hc and I am able to convince myself that it is a little lighter on the left than the right. So I made a composite of the same image merged with a flipped version of itself. I can still believe the left is ever so slightly brighter than the right. Changing viewing angles adjusts that, lol. Maybe its just the lights in my office or maybe it is the panel. Dont know but its very slight, almost imperceptable.

Mac

That's what I wanna hear. non-HC is PVA and HC is MVA ... so there is an issue ...

Hi

I just received my 2407WFP (not HC) REV04. The settings seems not to bad but not perfect either. Could someone give me the settings they got after calibration ?

Thanks in advance

Bump same question

Mac

Holy crap. I noticed this, even before walking into this thread.

I just used a pure white background. On my end the left side is a bit greener than the right. The right is warmer/red-er.

But it isn't a huge difference though, just slight. Nothing to get upset about, and definitely not a reason to return the monitor.

Mine is a 2407WFP-HC by the way.

Has anyone tried a playstation 3 on this monitor if so what is it like does it work in high definition, also what cable would need to connect it. The playstation 3 hd component cable has 5 connectors but I only notice 3 slots on my monitor for component.

Has anyone tried a playstation 3 on this monitor if so what is it like does it work in high definition, also what cable would need to connect it. The playstation 3 hd component cable has 5 connectors but I only notice 3 slots on my monitor for component.

2 of them are two channel audio ;)

I'm considering getting a 2407WFP-HC very soon as an upgrade from my 22" dell. Is there any input lag on the HC? And how does the image quality compare to an S-IPS panel say 2005FPW?

I have read that you can play the ps3 over hdmi to dvi adapter but there were problems with it in earlier revisions has this been fixed in A04, also how does the xbox 360 work with this monitor is there similer problems as the ps3.

Hi all,

Just got my 2407WFP-HC today and after playing around with it a bit I have a question/problem.

First off, it looks great playing PC games and on my 360. I wanted to hook my PS3 up as well, and I have an HDMI-to-DVI cable (DVI-D Dual Link by AsidTech), and it does recognize it when I plug it into my PS3, saying it detected an HDMI cable and asking me if I want to switch to it.

Now, when I try using the HDMI to DVI cable, I get no picture on my 2407... I know that this monitor supports HDCP and I did scan through some of the earlier posts here saying people have gotten their PS3 to work on their 2407, so am I doing something wrong or missing a step? Sorry if this has been addressed in this thread but it's a rather long thread to read through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and just on a side note, I don't know whether it's because it's HC now but my revision is A00. Made in Mexico, manufactured August 2007. I would have thought they would go to A05 or something.

Never mind, got it to work. Just had to buy an HDMI to DVI with single link DVI-D rather than dual link.

I'm very close to making a decision on a 24inch monitor and need some input from those of you who are experienced. My primary use will be for serious amateur photography as well as general computer use. Little or no gaming will be done. I have read threads from the BenQ FP241W and the Samsung 244T and 245BW monitors as well as here. Can a serious photo nut advise which would be best bet for true colors and overall photo applications? I plan to use both Photoshop & PS Elements as well as subsidiary programs. What current issues are there with the earlier banding problems on the 2407WFP? How does the new HC version do with photo work? Is the 2407 easy to adjust colors on? Thanks for any help!

hey everybody! :) i've just got the dell 2407 hc and believe
me its sweeeeet! i kinda got a question about hooking a
ps2's component calbe with the dell 2407 hc monitor, the
quality and overall looks really great but the problem i'm facing
is that there is a bit well 2inch ~3inch empty space on the
left and right side of the monitor whenever i play ps2 games...:(
isn't there anyway i could fill the whole screen? oh and the setting
of the display is set to "fill" but there is still a little black space while
playing the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSYyAJZRMps

My display has the same problem, but it only happens when returning from power save mode. If I power it off and power it on again, it works fine. I am going to send it in for RMA when the new revision comes out which is supposed to fix ghosting issues. That problem is the only issue I am having (see video) other than that I am very pleased with the display.

How does the Dell RMA work? I can't find a service tag and I don't have a receipt for it from a retailer. Will dell do an RMA just by serial number?

Are Dell and eBay the only places you can buy a 2407WFP-HC? If so, does anyone know any coupons or deals right now for Dell?

Costco Has them via costco.com

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11171430&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|1680|62021&N=4018491&Mo=7&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62021&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC12116-Cat1680&topnav=

$649.99 + free shipping
3-year advance exchange

What is this 3-year advance exchange at Costco? I checked out their website to find out what it means, but came up with a dead end.

Well I bought my 2407WFP A03 yearly last year through Costco. Got a slight discount over buying directly from Dell. In October 2007 the damn power button broke, I could still turn it on or off but it was a pain since the button would rotate so it could not be pushed in without righting it. Anyway I called Dell in December since I was going on vacation and would not miss the monitor. Calling them was a pain since I waited on the phone for quite some time before a teach guy picked up the call. The tech guy with an Indian accent was very professional, and helpful even though I had problems understanding every thing he said on the phone. He said I would have the replacement in a week. What amazed me was the replacement was on my doorstep the very next day. They overnighted it to me from Kentucky via DHL. I had the old monitor packed and ready to go back to them the next day. With all the crap Dell gets my experience was professionally handled and a painless transaction. The replacement was a China made A04 version. The A03 was made in Mexico. Seems to be as good as the old one though I have not fully tested it.

Thread revival FTW!!

Ok so I have my 2407wfp sitting on a table because I'mg etting ready to leave the house for a LAN party. I take my computer out to the car. I come back in the house, and the monitor is laying on the floor. WTF? It wasn't on the edge of the table or anything. The base was intact, still connected to the monitor. There were no earthquakes at the time.
I plug it in the wall and there is a huge spider crack right in the middle at the top going down the center of the monitor. Completely ruined. Yeah, I wanted to cry for a little while.

So I'm like "damn..I guess I'm not going to the LAN party". I call up some guys going to the LAN and posted a message on the message board for the people throwing the LAN and they someone called me and said I could borrow a monitor. Great!! Something to game with anyway. It was a 19" Hanns-G. Pretty decent monitor actually. Other than size, there was really no noticable differnce as far as performance. Had DVI and VGA connection. 1440x900. Decent monitor, really.

However, my $600 and something monitor was still broken. So I call Dell and told them what happened and asked what I could do about getting a replacement monitor. I'm literally on hold about 10 minutes then asked some more questions. On hold another 10 minutes. This went on for around an hour. After that, someone came on and said "no problem...I've put the information into dispatch and you should have a replacement monitor within 5 business days at no charge".

I was shocked. I was actually calling them to BUY a new monitor because the 2407wfp that I bought before was a refurbished model through the Dell Outlet and there was only a 90 day limited warranty on it. I've had it for about a year. They said there was no charge and I just have to ship back the old monitor in the same box they send the new one in.

Taking into account my past experiences with Dell, this is quite suprising. They're just like "ok we'll send you a new one". Years ago, when I actually owned a Dell computer, I had a video card go out on me. The wanted me to ship them the entire system to them. I was like f dat, just send me a new video card. The system was under warranty, but they tried to tell me that the video card itself had a lesser warranty than the rest of the system but they would replace it for me if I just shipped the system to them. I declined and went out and bought a new video card for 100 bux or so.

I think, in this case, what they did was go through my last month's log about the hassle about ordering an XFX 8800GT video card that was delayed for over 6 weeks and they figured "man this guy has had it rough with us..just send him a new monitor and maybe he'll like us again".

Well...I dunno about that..but they're on the right track.

the old monitor was revision a03 while the new one is a04. I'm not sure that makes any difference at all to me personally.....but I guess it's nice.

Right now I am in the process of buying either used 2407WFP (REV AA02) for 750 USD or new L245WM-BN (late 2007 edition) for 650 USD.. dont mind the prices, since its different story in EU..

Which LCD would you rather chose L245WM-BN (late 2007 edition) or DELL 2407WFP (REV AA02) (year 2006) ?

Just reading about the specs, they seem comparable...I'd go for the cheaper one.

actually on the specs, the only difference is that LG has HDMI port, it uses MVA panel instead of S-PVA panel and rev.AA02 DELL has some bugs that cannot be resolved through color calibration :D - so I conviced myself to go for the new and cheaper LG :)

Hi,

So last Sunday the picture on my 2nd 360 flashed and since then my monitor (a Dell 2407) hasn't been able to display 1080p properly. The screen has had lines on it and it won't display aspect or 1:1 mode with it.

The 360 has been red lighting since as well as various other issues and i was able to get it replaced yesterday for a brand new swanky 'Falcon' model.

Upon setting it up and turning it on i saw that what i thought was a problem with the last 360 still happening. I've tried running my PC through the vga to see if it was on there too and yes it is.

So now i've got to see if i can get a new monitor from Dell!

I'm worried now that i'll end up with one of the HC models as they replace the standard 2407's and all the reviews i've read have said that its not as good as my A04 revision.

Got a 4 year warranty and only got it last year so i'll either go to Dell or the site i bought it from. Just hope i can get the A04 and a new one not a refurb.

Is the old A04 still better then the HC?

Oh i'm in the UK too, so anyone who has experience from there would be of special help. :)

Do you hippies install the Dell Driver disk that came with your 24"s....

Pros or Cons?

Figured it was just bloat from Dell and would only add the "name" of the monitor to certain areas like Device Manager...

It doesn't do anything for configuration or performance does it?

After seeing the quality difference in viewing angles between Rev 03 and Rev 04 ( see http://tinyurl.com/38q53x ), I specifically requested Rev 04 when I ordered my 2407 on the 24th. After committing to my Precision/2407 order, the sales rep even emailed me to make sure he knew which revision I wanted. The monitor was shipped on the 26th and I received it today, the 28th.

The Dell monitor guy, who is supposed to be aware of what's happening with monitors, assured me that all the 2407's they're shipping are the latest revision.

Guess what I got .... Revision A00 ... clearly displayed on the monitor label as well as the label on the box.

Sales rep notified.

EdP

I got my Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 but I'm not very happy with the picture
Black does not exist and when I lower the brightness the white is light gray

I'm planing to switch to a better monitor
I;m considering the Dell 2408WFP or the Benq FP241WZ or FP241VW

I read that the MVA has better color representation then the S-PVA
here is a comparison http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/thread/1004388473.aspx

I don't need fast response I don't play games
I only care about a picture quality

What do you all recommend ?

My Dell 2407WFPb would not power up ... and it's not the on/off button problem ... probably the power board. Given that it's out of warranty, what are the possible ways forward? Has anyone dealt with this kind of a problem already?

Power button twisted and stuck ON

Does anyone here have a suggestion to how to go about coaxing the power button back in place. Right now it´s twisted (wife did it.. sigh) and always ON. I have tried coaxing a bit, but I am afraid of ruining the contact or mechanism.

I have seen others having this issue here, but cant find it in search.

Any help would be much appreciated. ATM I have to unplug the power cable every time I want it off.

Does anyone here have a suggestion to how to go about coaxing the power button back in place. Right now it´s twisted (wife did it.. sigh) and always ON. I have tried coaxing a bit, but I am afraid of ruining the contact or mechanism.

Any help would be much appreciated. ATM I have to unplug the power cable every time I want it off.

You could try taking off the bezel, that should avoid any damage.

You won't ruin the contact mechanism. Just press on it an rotate the "I" that breaks the "O" into 12 o'clock position .. may take 2-3 iterations. It'll toggle the monitor on/off as long as the "I" points vertically up. If you want it to stay in that position, you can put a piece of scotch tape over the button (you can also use the tape to rotate the button into the right position).

Last edited:
The button is not sunk under the bezel, is it? As long as it is not you don't need to take the bezel off.

I'm considering buying an used 2407WFP rev. 04 for $490. Is this still a good deal? I was looking for a good 1920*1200 screen, already tried the ZR24w but couldn't live with IPS glow.

Back