Official Deus Ex: Human Revolution thread

I think this game proves easily a modern VTM:B would do rather well if properly funded.

I second that. For a long time, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was my favorite game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution reminds me of it.

Quick question, is that quest you get from the doctor in the LIMB clinic at Hengsha bugged? I can't seem to continue it after I search the hacker's nest behind the butcher shop. It just tells me to read the note on the corpse and now matter how many times I read it, the quest doesn't update. :(

The only thing that's putting me off so far is the difficulty level. The amount of freedom of choice to engage in firefight or to sneak around isn't really based on character build, but rather left up to the player. Weapons, ammo, money and gun dealers are everywhere so if your stealthing messes up, just open up your arsenal and dispose of the brainless walking meatsack NPC's.

There needs to be a mod to adjust difficulty further based on
- Augs you begin the game with
- reduce the amount of weapons that litter the game world
- increase prices on weapons and ammo

Quick question, is that quest you get from the doctor in the LIMB clinic at Hengsha bugged? I can't seem to continue it after I search the hacker's nest behind the butcher shop. It just tells me to read the note on the corpse and now matter how many times I read it, the quest doesn't update. :(

It doesn't give you the waypoint, just search based on where the note tells you to.

It doesn't give you the waypoint, just search based on where the note tells you to.

All right it seems I went into the wrong sewers. I just checked the wiki and it said to go back to the sewers in the other district not the sewers in the Youzhao district. Strange as I managed to find a Harvester Hideout and completely decimated the place hoping to continue the quest. :eek:

I have a few issues with the game as a whole. These complaints are affecting my game play and need to be remedied ASAP!

I have contracted the "must start over from the beginning" disease.
Game is so damn fun that I can't make my mind up which path through a room is more exciting. So just start the game over at the beginning and see. Today I learned I can hide behind boxes; I'll never see the end of the game. :(

Should I be a stone faced killer or sneaky bastard?
I suppose that eventually I shall have to make the decision and do a complete play through then try it again the other way. Right now I keep restarting and trying levels over and over. It's just as fun on try #20 as it was on try #1. Games aren't supposed to be this addictive!

Why did Amazon give me a silenced sniper rifle when I want to be a super stealth player?
Why is that sniper rifle so juicy? Who thought it would be a good idea for it to unlock so easily without me entering a code? How can I stealth around when I can be a beast? Why is that 9mm on the ground laying there when I have this stun gun in my hands... Damn achievements....

Why is the melee kill animation so wickedly fun to look at?
I gather enough self control to not blow a guy's brains out and then I have to make the choice to not murder the guy when I choke him out. The melee kill animations scream repeat me! You must see that again! Oh snap! Did he really just stab that fool with his elbow? Why Eidos why??? :(

BTW I love this game!

All right it seems I went into the wrong sewers. I just checked the wiki and it said to go back to the sewers in the other district not the sewers in the Youzhao district. Strange as I managed to find a Harvester Hideout and completely decimated the place hoping to continue the quest. :eek:

Bahahahaha that's exactly what happened to me. I ended up starting Tongs Rescue on accident that way. Meh, they all had to die anyway

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=246

Bomcast dudes aren't as impressed as some of you seem to be.

They seemed to like it well enough and do make a good point that the game is much more about story than anything else. The combat and stealth are decently done but if you are looking primarily for a FPS, Deus Ex is not what you want.

I chuckled at the comment about the lack of ammo carried by the NPC's, since it made me think of a good firefight I fought through that lasted a good few minutes...but yet ended up with maybe 10 bullets looted from NPC's.

Well now that I have fixed my DX11 crash to desktop issue (You suck Asus Smartdoctor) I have been playing the game in some depth finally and I too am very impressed. Steam reports I've been playing for 20 hours so far and I just left Detroit for China for the first time... I really had to explore every last inch of it before I could leave.

As a parting gift I went back to Derelict Row and wiped out the entire gang. Lethal style. Damn this game is fun :)

Anyone else see the two post-it notes?

Buy Broccoli
Buy Broccoli and LUBE

Nope. I did find a nice Demolition Man reference in an appartment in Hengsha last night. There is a bathroom with no toilet paper, but there are three seashells. "He doesn't know how to use the three seashells."

The level of detail and random easter eggs in this game is impressive considering it wasn't necessary but does make the experiance more entertaining.

I second that. For a long time, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was my favorite game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution reminds me of it.

You both said it. There's a number of things I've seen and heard, down to music and ambience, where it really wouldn't take much of a stretch at all to imagine you're in a modern VTMB game.

I definitely see a lot from this game that gives me ideas of what a much needed and overdue sequel to that would look like.

They seemed to like it well enough and do make a good point that the game is much more about story than anything else. The combat and stealth are decently done but if you are looking primarily for a FPS, Deus Ex is not what you want.

I chuckled at the comment about the lack of ammo carried by the NPC's, since it made me think of a good firefight I fought through that lasted a good few minutes...but yet ended up with maybe 10 bullets looted from NPC's.

Good points. This game is not a "traditional" RPG or FPS and that's fine by me.

I forgot which review I saw where the person said something like it does the good things from Splinter Cell Conviction except better. As a fan of SC:C I have to agree with that.

I've had moments in this thing where I'm reaching for the Hitman back of tricks, the SC back of tricks, and of course the Deus Ex routine and, again, not perfect, but overall I just love this game.

Well now that I have fixed my DX11 crash to desktop issue (You suck Asus Smartdoctor) I have been playing the game in some depth finally and I too am very impressed. Steam reports I've been playing for 20 hours so far and I just left Detroit for China for the first time... I really had to explore every last inch of it before I could leave.

As a parting gift I went back to Derelict Row and wiped out the entire gang. Lethal style. Damn this game is fun :)

Just FYI...there's a side quest involving them if you take the time to talk to a certain someone on the same street your apt. is on.

Don't NPCs have a limited number of bullets? I swear I was in a couple firefights with NPCs late in the game and heard them shout, "I'm out of ammo" and switch to a different weapon (usually the 10mm handgun).

If that's the case it'd make for you to only find a few remaining bullets.

Also, there needs to be more 10mm ammo. I love that gun and all I usually ever found was ammo for the stupid machine pistol. Fuck the machine pistol. I want my 16 round, silenced, laser sighted, damage augmented 10mm pistol putting people down with headshots.

Don't NPCs have a limited number of bullets? I swear I was in a couple firefights with NPCs late in the game and heard them shout, "I'm out of ammo" and switch to a different weapon (usually the 10mm handgun).

If that's the case it'd make for you to only find a few remaining bullets.

I'd swear that's happened to me, too.

Also, there needs to be more 10mm ammo. I love that gun and all I usually ever found was ammo for the stupid machine pistol. Fuck the machine pistol. I want my 16 round, silenced, laser sighted, damage augmented 10mm pistol putting people down with headshots.

That's how I'm rolling. My 10mm is the envy of possibly even Agent 47 himself. It's a beautiful thing.

Punks in Detroit, for example, tend to be carrying this stuff. ;) The gang is loaded with goodies.

Weapons dealers sell it, too, and exploring yields results but frankly if I suspect someone has what I want I usually go non lethal unless it's lowlifes. Then I don't care. ;)

play it and form your own opinion

Always a good idea, but he's misrepresenting the Giantbomb crew. Jeff Gerstmann reviewed it and gave it a 4/5 under the tag line "The world of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is absolutely worth seeing, and that trumps any of the little issues that pop up along the way"

That's how I'm rolling. My 10mm is the envy of possibly even Agent 47 himself. It's a beautiful thing.

Punks in Detroit, for example, tend to be carrying this stuff. ;) The gang is loaded with goodies.

Weapons dealers sell it, too, and exploring yields results but frankly if I suspect someone has what I want I usually go non lethal unless it's lowlifes. Then I don't care. ;)

The common weapons change as you progress during the game. For instance people like regular cops and gang members will be more likely to carry pistols, as expected. But SWAT or Spec OPs type soldiers are more likely to be carrying heavier and more suitable weapons.

This is why I actually suggest the Combat Rifle as the one gun you'd want, if you are only carrying one, or just want 1 primary gun. The smart tracking is something you need to see to believe, you can blind fire around corners and headshot people with it.

The common weapons change as you progress during the game. For instance people like regular cops and gang members will be more likely to carry pistols, as expected. But SWAT or Spec OPs type soldiers are more likely to be carrying heavier and more suitable weapons.

This is why I actually suggest the Combat Rifle as the one gun you'd want, if you are only carrying one, or just want 1 primary gun. The smart tracking is something you need to see to believe, you can blind fire around corners and headshot people with it.

I agree.

For me, it basically for me it came down to silenced 10mm for stealth and close ups and the combat rifle for big, loud, fast, and ugly. ;)

I just finished my first playthrough. I'm sad that I finished it. There's a choice of 4 different endings. I choose...the most noble one. That's the least spoilerish way I can word it.

39 hours and 34/49 achievements unlocked. Not bad. :)

Make sure you stay through to the very end past the credits everyone. Trust me.

I ended the game favoring a fully modded 10mm, a 7 shot revolver with improved reload and exploding bullets (wow), fully modded combat rifle, and the heavy rifle with cooling and improved reload.

I started out going stealth + ghost, but somewhere during the last 1/4 of the game, I went stealth + mass murder.

I agree.

For me, it basically for me it came down to silenced 10mm for stealth and close ups and the combat rifle for big, loud, fast, and ugly. ;)

I just finished my first playthrough. I'm sad that I finished it. There's a choice of 4 different endings. I choose...the most noble one. That's the least spoilerish way I can word it.

39 hours and 34/49 achievements unlocked. Not bad. :)

Make sure you stay through to the very end past the credits everyone. Trust me.

The most noble one? That is open to interpretation! I too chose the most noble path, but it might not have been the same as your choice :)

I think I'm going to get rid of my machine pistol. As soon as I found the weapons seller in China I ended up with a silenced, lasered rifle that now has tracking on it. No real reason to keep the machine pistol now.

anyone find a way to see an update history or list of patch notes?

I keep getting steam updates and would like to know what they're changing.

edit: thanks

Last edited:
There has only been 1 patch. The updates are probably just the game syncing with cloud storage or missing files due to verification.

Amazing how many people still dont wait for the credits to roll through /shrug

+1 to lack of ammo. My combat rifle and pistol were thirsting for ammo, while I could find a ridiculous amount of machine pistol and heavy rifle ammo. Did anyone even use the machine pistol? I know I didnt. If I had unlimited inventory then sure but otherwise it seemed like it fell somewhere in between the pistol and the combat rifle so I chucked it. Then I replaced the shotgun for the heavy rifle.

I ended the game favoring a fully modded 10mm, a 7 shot revolver with improved reload and exploding bullets (wow), fully modded combat rifle, and the heavy rifle with cooling and improved reload.

I started out going stealth + ghost, but somewhere during the last 1/4 of the game, I went stealth + mass murder.

Maybe it's just me but I felt like towards the end I almost didn't have any choice but to start ramping up the body count.

The most noble one? That is open to interpretation! I too chose the most noble path, but it might not have been the same as your choice :)

Fair enough.

+1 to lack of ammo. My combat rifle and pistol were thirsting for ammo, while I could find a ridiculous amount of machine pistol and heavy rifle ammo. Did anyone even use the machine pistol? I know I didnt. If I had unlimited inventory then sure but otherwise it seemed like it fell somewhere in between the pistol and the combat rifle so I chucked it. Then I replaced the shotgun for the heavy rifle.

That's true. I felt like, in general, machine pistol and to a lesser extent heavy rifle ammo was common as dirt vs. a lot of the other ammos. Machine pistol ammo was practically coming out of the walls especially it seemed.

PEELS HERE!!!
Bij7L.jpg

They seemed to like it well enough and do make a good point that the game is much more about story than anything else. .

The bombcast crew rightly or wrongly look for the essence of a game, and if any game is built well around that core, they usually like it or at least acknowledge it's appeal to others, however, they also point out that this game has a number of deficiencies, and it's those problems that put me off.

play it and form your own opinion

I will at some point, but for example, it's currently $70aud on steam, and given what I've read about it, I think I'll wait for a hefty price drop.
When I bought FONew Vegas, I wasn't expecting a downgrade in both GFX and Physx, so I'm done buying AAA marketed/hyped games sporting B+ technology.

The bombcast crew rightly or wrongly look for the essence of a game, and if any game is built well around that core, they usually like it or at least acknowledge it's appeal to others, however, they also point out that this game has a number of deficiencies, and it's those problems that put me off.

people who talk down this game haven't even played it, and if they did, they are just looking for something to poo poo on.

DX: HR isn't a perfect game by any means, but it's definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my entire gaming life, and that's something, since it spans some 25ish years.

It's definitely better than 99.872742072 percent of the crap released over the last few years.

It's a statement of fact that it's the best game currently available for sale.

It's a statement of fact that it's the best game currently available for sale.
No, it's a statement of your opinion. A statement of fact would be stating that you do not understand the difference between a fact and an opinion.

I just took the plunge and bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution this afternoon. I plan on playing it later tonight and its looking like I will not be disappointed.

Back