Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

I actually just uninstalled that app (BW) because I'm pretty sure it was keeping my phone from sleeping draining the battery. Also in the wifi settings there already is an option to turn it off when the phone is asleep.

im running bw on my gn with the extended battery. make sure you dont use geolocation for the weather. i was getting crap battery life but then i disabled nfc and my battery has been great.

What's the best web browser to use with ICS? Just stick with the stock browser or is there something better?

im running bw on my gn with the extended battery. make sure you dont use geolocation for the weather. i was getting crap battery life but then i disabled nfc and my battery has been great.

I still get pretty bad battery life with extended battery. I removed some apps that were keeping it from sleeping but the battery still isnt all that great but better than what I had before. I get maybe 3 days with the extended battery and only making 1 call and 1 text a day. That's pretty bad since I only used it about 5 min and then left it on my desk for the last 3 days.

I ran Revolution for a while, Im now running RootzBoat v5 and its the best so far. A pure AOSP build with some very big names behind it. Updates have been fast and good, and its smooth as hell.

I ran Revolution for a while, Im now running RootzBoat v5 and its the best so far. A pure AOSP build with some very big names behind it. Updates have been fast and good, and its smooth as hell.

Haven't heard of this one. Link?

edit: found it

I still get pretty bad battery life with extended battery. I removed some apps that were keeping it from sleeping but the battery still isnt all that great but better than what I had before. I get maybe 3 days with the extended battery and only making 1 call and 1 text a day. That's pretty bad since I only used it about 5 min and then left it on my desk for the last 3 days.

wtf..... :rolleyes:

why don't you put it on the charger during the 23.5 hours a day you aren't actually using it

3 days? please....theres so much going on in these handsets the fact you get three days under those conditions is even impressive. I did it once, because I left for the weekend and left it at home in standby mode, it made it through the weekend. What do you want from a $600 super phone man? You want to not use 90% of it and then you want it to run a damn solid week because you aren't using it? wtf? That phone was never meant to be used that way. It was also never meant to go three days on a charge, because they are marketing super phones to people who want to use them. So don't be at all surprised, you are using the device in an unintentional manner. Doesn't make it wrong, but it does mean you can't really compare your battery life to anyone here because I am pretty sure you are the only one not using your phone and then whining when you don't get a week on a charge.

wtf..... :rolleyes:

why don't you put it on the charger during the 23.5 hours a day you aren't actually using it

3 days? please....theres so much going on in these handsets the fact you get three days under those conditions is even impressive. I did it once, because I left for the weekend and left it at home in standby mode, it made it through the weekend. What do you want from a $600 super phone man? You want to not use 90% of it and then you want it to run a damn solid week because you aren't using it? wtf? That phone was never meant to be used that way. It was also never meant to go three days on a charge, because they are marketing super phones to people who want to use them. So don't be at all surprised, you are using the device in an unintentional manner. Doesn't make it wrong, but it does mean you can't really compare your battery life to anyone here because I am pretty sure you are the only one not using your phone and then whining when you don't get a week on a charge.

LOL my droid x can sit a week minimum no charger and still have 30% battery. 3 days is bad. Get over your self thinking you know everything about smart phones and that you are always right, you didn't design the phone but you sure do spout alot of "it wasn't designed for so and so" (you were already called out by someone else as well in another thread for say what should and shouldn't be done with a phone). Just because a phone is complicated doesn't mean it has to suck juice while not in use. If you think 3 days is good for not using it then I guess you have low expectations because there are plenty of other smart phones that do much much better.

I guess I have too much of a life that I can set my phone down for 3 days over the holidays to spend time with my family unlike a grumpy someone in this thread...

Last edited:
My biggest beef with Sprint has been their 3G service, slow as 1990's dial up modem. And in some towns around Chicago Sprint has dead areas, like no signal. In Orland Park where both my parents and sister live Sprint just doesn't even work around their homes.

But I am very happy with my Epic 4G Touch, it is rooted with a great ROM, and ICS theme. But the Galaxy-Nexus is the best phone out right now.

Not sure if it is worth leaving Sprint for the Galaxy-Nexus and move to Verizon ? Would hate to leave, and then all of a sudden Sprint gets a kick ass ICS phone, and improves their network.

My biggest beef with Sprint has been their 3G service, slow as 1990's dial up modem. And in some towns around Chicago Sprint has dead areas, like no signal. In Orland Park where both my parents and sister live Sprint just doesn't even work around their homes.

But I am very happy with my Epic 4G Touch, it is rooted with a great ROM, and ICS theme. But the Galaxy-Nexus is the best phone out right now.

Not sure if it is worth leaving Sprint for the Galaxy-Nexus and move to Verizon ? Would hate to leave, and then all of a sudden Sprint gets a kick ass ICS phone, and improves their network.

Honestly I would switch just to get off sprint and to have verizon. My work has all phones through sprint and people are always complaining about the service. My personal phone is verizon and the only place I have ever dropped a call is in an underground tunnel at school. Sprints network isn't going to dramatically improve anytime soon.

Just got the Nexus and so far I like it. My display has 3 vertical bands in the center. You can see it on all colors and in all brightness settings. Anyone else have this issue or similar?

Just got the Nexus and so far I like it. My display has 3 vertical bands in the center. You can see it on all colors and in all brightness settings. Anyone else have this issue or similar?

My screen has been perfect so far. But there were a few other complaints in this thread about bands on the screen.

I have some banding, but it's not noticeable except on a completely white background.

Honestly I would switch just to get off sprint and to have verizon. My work has all phones through sprint and people are always complaining about the service. My personal phone is verizon and the only place I have ever dropped a call is in an underground tunnel at school. Sprints network isn't going to dramatically improve anytime soon.
I had to do exactly that. My E4GT was an awesome phone, but Sprint's service in my area isn't very strong. I was having too many dropped calls so returned the phone and rejoined Verizon. They give you 50 days to rejoin and will waive/refund any fees incurred if you broke contract. Just make sure they get you back on the unlimited data plan, if you originally had it. I'm getting that part straightened out right now.

I had to do exactly that. My E4GT was an awesome phone, but Sprint's service in my area isn't very strong. I was having too many dropped calls so returned the phone and rejoined Verizon. They give you 50 days to rejoin and will waive/refund any fees incurred if you broke contract. Just make sure they get you back on the unlimited data plan, if you originally had it. I'm getting that part straightened out right now.

Yeah I LOVE my E4GT, but starting to really dislike Sprint service here in Chicago, like I said, 3G service is as slow as 1990's dial up modem, WiMax 4G is a gimmick at best, it kills your battery, and good luck locking onto a 4G signal, and holding it.

But I read so many forums on the Galaxy-Nexus, and why do I read people saying it is a side grade at best compared to the Galaxy SII, with a lot of people saying it is a downgrade compared to the SII, due to the GPU ?

I am heavily debating leaving Sprint, and Verizon is the only other carrier, I would choose, due to others I know on it that rave about Verizon as the #1 best network as far as signal, and coverage, and no dropped calls, etc...And the Galaxy-Nexus is the only device besides the SII I would ever go for. Bottom line, is it worth leaving Sprint and my E4TG, for Verizon and the Galaxy-Nexus ?

At the end of the day, the Galaxy Nexus may or may not be as good as your S2 phone, but the service is definitely much better on Verizon. What good is a phone if you never have service? Seems like an easy choice for me.

At the end of the day, the Galaxy Nexus may or may not be as good as your S2 phone, but the service is definitely much better on Verizon. What good is a phone if you never have service? Seems like an easy choice for me.

The thing is, I do have service, it is just very very slow. Phone calls wise, Sprint is pretty good here in Chicago, very few dropped calls, maybe one a day or so. it is just when looking up mail or a website on 3G is takes forever to load up. Even loading up into the XDA app on 3G can take a good 30 - 45 seconds or more, just to get to the main screen. Where as on WiFi it loads up instantly, like one or two seconds.

And thank God for WiFi at Home and the Office, the E4GT is fast as warp speed on WiFi and holds a WiFi connection pretty far away.

My beef is just with the 3G = 1x Edge speeds. And 4G is not even worth turning on, it just doesn't work and if/when it does very rarely holds a connection.

Yeah I LOVE my E4GT, but starting to really dislike Sprint service here in Chicago, like I said, 3G service is as slow as 1990's dial up modem, WiMax 4G is a gimmick at best, it kills your battery, and good luck locking onto a 4G signal, and holding it.

But I read so many forums on the Galaxy-Nexus, and why do I read people saying it is a side grade at best compared to the Galaxy SII, with a lot of people saying it is a downgrade compared to the SII, due to the GPU ?

I am heavily debating leaving Sprint, and Verizon is the only other carrier, I would choose, due to others I know on it that rave about Verizon as the #1 best network as far as signal, and coverage, and no dropped calls, etc...And the Galaxy-Nexus is the only device besides the SII I would ever go for. Bottom line, is it worth leaving Sprint and my E4TG, for Verizon and the Galaxy-Nexus ?
No, when Sprint leashes Network Vision, their network will be loads better. And you don't have to feel guilty about supporting an anti-competitive and anti-net-neutrality company.

No, when Sprint leashes Network Vision, their network will be loads better. And you don't have to feel guilty about supporting an anti-competitive and anti-net-neutrality company.

OK, but when will I see real improvements to their network? I will admit that Sprint has the best Android lineup, ever since the EVO 4G Sprint has been on a roll with awesome devices. EVO 4G...Epic 4G...Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy SII...

And will bet in 2012 Sprint has a better Android offering over Verizon. Just don't know how much longer I can wait for the supposed network improvements ? They are supposed to announce some awesome Intel + Samsung Android device on January 9th.

And thank God for WiFi at Home and the Office, the E4GT is fast as warp speed on WiFi and holds a WiFi connection pretty far away.

My beef is just with the 3G = 1x Edge speeds. And 4G is not even worth turning on, it just doesn't work and if/when it does very rarely holds a connection.

Verizon's LTE is faster than Wifi where I live. I can get 10 Mbps on my cable modem, but I get 25-30 Mbps download on LTE. Like I said, easy choice for me anyway.

Never had a smart phone before...Is this the phone Really worth the making the switch from under 20 bucks a month to around 50 on family plan with employee discount...I have the funding but finding it hard to commit.:eek:

Never had a smart phone before...Is this the phone Really worth the making the switch from under 20 bucks a month to around 50 on family plan with employee discount...I have the funding but finding it hard to commit.:eek:
I'm wondering the same thing for myself. I only pay 13 bucks a month with a much older phone.

Dont know why anyone complains about the camera. I think it takes great shots.
6589843885_5d6f280a7c.jpg

And the Panoramic shots it takes are great.
6590004149_eca3768c9c.jpg

Last edited:
I would say mid 2012 give or take 2 months. So somewhere between April and end of August.

I can see that. And I am sure some kick ass devices to accompany that upgraded network. The Galaxy SIII...EVO-Three...are the two I am looking most forward to. Maybe a Nexus-Jellybean device in the Fall.

And the Panoramic shots it takes are great.
6590004149_eca3768c9c.jpg

Swank pad there buddy :). Manhattan ?

I deal with the high end custom home builders in Chicago, and a skyscraper condo like that easily runs million dollar +, but in this current building market not selling like they used to.

Actually its three floors. The 20th, 21 and 22. Penthouse. Wrap around terrace....and its 30 million. Not mine. A friends.

Last edited:
Dont know why anyone complains about the camera. I think it takes great shots.
6589843885_5d6f280a7c.jpg

Do it in a area that's dim, and it's a little grainy. It's not horrible, but it's like my old 5mp camera from 5 years ago in that there's cameras out that can do a better picture in the same size.

Actually its three floors. The 20th, 21 and 22. Penthouse. Wrap around terrace....and its 30 million. Not mine. A friends.

Yeah not surprised at that price for three floored penthouse in Manhattan. That is some prime real estate, the 1%'ers are doing OK :)

I'm wondering the same thing for myself. I only pay 13 bucks a month with a much older phone.

Yeah, it definitely stings a little if you're used to paying for and using an old bar/flip phone. But one thing's for sure; once you have a smart phone, it's really hard to go back to anything else. :p

I resisted getting a smart phone for a long time. However, these days I don't know if I could give them up without going through some sort of withdrawal. A lot of it depends on how mobile you are. If you are at home or the office all day, having a constant internet connection on your phone isn't going to be all that necessary.

So far, I just have two questions. I seem to have the typical problem that has popped up where keep awake is most of the processing time of Android OS and it's killing the battery. I've gotten rid of what I thought could be doing it, but it still is the majority of the process. I've seen Better Battery Stats suggested to try to figure it out, but all it says is to get it through XDA. Do I have to root to do this? The second question is, is there anything better than Llama to setup device profiles for specific locations? That was one of the major keep alive offenders I ran into.

I resisted getting a smart phone for a long time. However, these days I don't know if I could give them up without going through some sort of withdrawal. A lot of it depends on how mobile you are. If you are at home or the office all day, having a constant internet connection on your phone isn't going to be all that necessary.

I guess I can continue waiting it out then. I'm either at home or at work where electronics are not allowed.

I need to figure out whats killing my battery, with very little use it will be dead in 8 hours. And the latest problem that started yesterday is the screen turns on by itself, I turn it off, and the fucker turns right back on, wtf?

Ok this is mega cracked out. I actually just grabbed my phone to make a post about how my phone flips out when the battery get very low. The low battery warning comes up and the screen just turns on and of and doesn't stop and also gives a warning sound and it will NOT stop until its plugged in.

But this is even more crazy. I grabbed my phone to post that (on pc now) and I used the voice to text (which has worked great til now) and started talking and no matter what I said it typed names from my contact list over and over. The phone has worked great and now its trippin. I reboot and the screen turning off issue still exists. Sometimes it takes 10 times turning the screen off for it to stay off, but it will turn back on randomly without touching and it will stay on. I haven't installed much at all and nothing new lately.

Back