Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

Well it only types contact names in the reply box on this site and works fine for texts and on every other site. Hmmmm.... Werid!

Also surprised apps like nfl mobile, hbo go , and shotime dont work on the nexus. The list is growing. There are alot of apps on bionic i cant dl from the market. Also, do not install lets golf 3, awesome graphics but it spams ur notifacations. Spell check doesnt work also on this site.

My phone is having issues, not saying [H] is the problem.

Hahaha, I just jumped straight to the last page and to the bottom, and on my phone could only see your last post about spell check. Now I realize that may be the least of your problems. My bad.

Still debating on switching to Verizon for the Nexus, compared to my Galaxy SII;

I think my question is more of a Sprint vs Verizon, I know the Galaxy-Nexus is more of a side grade compared to the Galaxy SII, both phones have their advantages over each other.

I am just unhappy with Sprint's 3G speeds and 4G being so crappy. Plus Sprint has poor coverage in the outer burbs of Chicago, like my Parents and Sister's house Sprint has like almost no connection in their area. Pricing wise they are good, but surprisingly the Verizon family plan would be just about the same price, actually a hair cheaper on Verizon, BUT...Verizon does not offer free any mobile to any mobile phone calls like Sprint and ATT offer.

But I keep reading about Sprint's network plan for 2012/2013, and sounds like MAJOR improvements coming, but that is all maybe and possibly. And when will that actually happen in the real world ? Like improved 3G speeds they need to fix A.S.A.P. Sprint's 3G is by far the worst on all U.S. carriers, I am shocked at how bad it is. The past 18 months I get at best 150k/sec downloads that is on EVO 4G...Nexus-S 4G and now my E4GT, where T-Mobile, ATT, Verizon all get like 1mb/sec, almost ten times faster. And LTE is no comparison to WiMax.

Hmm...

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a week now. I'm loving it. Upgrading from a Nexus One. The difference is massive. I especially love how big the screen is and those blacks...no LCD can touch it. The phone is so fast, though it does have its occasional stutter when it's thinking a lot. Looks like there's practicality for quadcore cpus after all.

That said, my screen is showing vertical and horizontal banding. It's worse at low brightness settings and is harder to see at higher brightness, but it's always visible especially on greys and solid colors. Very annoying for forum reading or even scrolling through homescreens.

I ordered my phone through Amazon Wireless for $150. I called Verizon first to see if I can swap it out in store. They said no I had to go through Amazon Wireless. Called them up today, I'll have the replacement tomorrow and they'll give me a shipping label too. Very happy with their customer service. Too bad there seems to be a bad batch of AMOLEDs floating around the Galaxy Nexuses.

I had lunch with a friend today and got a chance to see his new GN. It's definitely a great-looking and performing phone. His has some noticeable banding along the top and bottom of the screen, though.

I was seriously spoiled by the screen on the Epic 4G Touch I had while I tried Sprint for a few days, last week. I couldn't be satisfied with the kind of screen I saw on the GN, though my friend certainly didn't care when I pointed out the banding.

I was going to try the Razr, but probably will just hang with my original DInc and see what new phones will be available in Q1/Q2 2012.

my phone had these permanent lines that i think were between the glass and the screen, noticeable on all white/gray screens with low brightness.

I found a 8 page XDA forum of people saying they have the exact same thing and it happens with all sAMOLED screens.. not looking too good..

getting it exchanged, hoping for the best =/

Also surprised apps like nfl mobile, hbo go , and shotime dont work on the nexus. The list is growing. There are alot of apps on bionic i cant dl from the market. Also, do not install lets golf 3, awesome graphics but it spams ur notifacations. Spell check doesnt work also on this site.

Ok this is good to know. Spell check doesnt work on websites for me either. I kinda thought this was normal, but the other thing it does is it flips out trying to move the cursor around to.fix.spelling errors. Loving the phone especially after getting a new battery in it but i may take it back because the spell check and erratic behavior in using the cursor is a little annoying.

Thinking of getting a case and another battery, what do you guys recommend?

(don't want to carry two battery doors)

Thinking of getting a case and another battery, what do you guys recommend?

(don't want to carry two battery doors)

I have the Otterbox Defender and love the case; however, it is very grippy so it sucks getting it in and out of my work slacks so I use the holster for it. You may wish to check out the Otterbox Communter it isn't as grippy and a little smaller so if you wear tight pants or slacks a lot that might be a better fit for you.

That said, my screen is showing vertical and horizontal banding. It's worse at low brightness settings and is harder to see at higher brightness, but it's always visible especially on greys and solid colors. Very annoying for forum reading or even scrolling through homescreens.

hmmm... haven't seen this... pics or vid links?

I think my question is more of a Sprint vs Verizon
I am just unhappy with Sprint's 3G speeds and 4G being so crappy.
But I keep reading about Sprint's network plan for 2012/2013, and sounds like MAJOR improvements coming, but that is all maybe and possibly. And when will that actually happen in the real world ? Like improved 3G speeds they need to fix A.S.A.P. Sprint's 3G is by far the worst on all U.S. carriers, I am shocked at how bad it is

I've seen my '3G' data get as low as 25kbps in some areas... it's like I went back in time to 1996 or something. In my area I usually grab about 200kbps over 3G- fine for di.fm while at the gym etc. Since i've been thinking about switching to VZW (no LTE here, although Sprint WIMAX is), I had my phone do some 3G roaming onto Verizon to test the 3G waters- if you can believe it, the speed was WORSE than Sprint where I was, so clearly it's not universal that Verizon is better- read how to do a PRL swap and roam over to VZW and see what the 3G speeds are like for yourself. As for general Sprint network upgrades, they're happening now (one tower nearby me was recently upgraded and I pulled a bit over a Mb/sec out of it at 5PM.. pretty good!).

https://network.sprint.com/

The 'vision' upgrades have already been implemented in several cities already. Ultimately though, you need to buy the product that you feel gives you the best value for your cash, and if that's at VZW, TMo, Sprint, or even AT&T... then by all means switch.

Still debating on switching to Verizon for the Nexus, compared to my Galaxy SII;

I think my question is more of a Sprint vs Verizon, I know the Galaxy-Nexus is more of a side grade compared to the Galaxy SII, both phones have their advantages over each other.

I am just unhappy with Sprint's 3G speeds and 4G being so crappy. Plus Sprint has poor coverage in the outer burbs of Chicago, like my Parents and Sister's house Sprint has like almost no connection in their area. Pricing wise they are good, but surprisingly the Verizon family plan would be just about the same price, actually a hair cheaper on Verizon, BUT...Verizon does not offer free any mobile to any mobile phone calls like Sprint and ATT offer.

But I keep reading about Sprint's network plan for 2012/2013, and sounds like MAJOR improvements coming, but that is all maybe and possibly. And when will that actually happen in the real world ? Like improved 3G speeds they need to fix A.S.A.P. Sprint's 3G is by far the worst on all U.S. carriers, I am shocked at how bad it is. The past 18 months I get at best 150k/sec downloads that is on EVO 4G...Nexus-S 4G and now my E4GT, where T-Mobile, ATT, Verizon all get like 1mb/sec, almost ten times faster. And LTE is no comparison to WiMax.

Hmm...
All I'm going to say now is CES is right around the corner. And MWC is less than 2 months away. Sprint will have LTE in mid-2012 and every new network vision tower is supposed to be LTE capable which means Sprint LTE will cover almost everywhere with Sprint coverage. Sprint also wants to have LTE-A available in 2013, to become the first true 4G company. So if you are on contract, I suggest you to stay with me for a bit. I don't work for Sprint, but I just feel like spreading the Sprint love.

Verizon and AT&T are both anti-competitive, anti-net-neutrality, and anti-consumer. Support them if you want corporations to tell you what rights you got.

Verizon and AT&T are both anti-competitive, anti-net-neutrality, and anti-consumer. Support them if you want corporations to tell you what rights you got.

while i agree with the premise of your thought process this phone paired with verizon 4g.... 26mb/s down and 15mb/s up... i quickly let it go. :)

With the issues this phone appears to be having I dont regret going ahead with the Bionic a couple months ago and not holding out for this dud.

With the issues this phone appears to be having I dont regret going ahead with the Bionic a couple months ago and not holding out for this dud.

I have NO issues at all with the phone. What are you talking about exactly.

I have NO issues at all with the phone. What are you talking about exactly.

He is yet another person who hasn't used it who knows that it is clearly a flop. I have zero issues with mine. It is everything I wanted and then some, and I am extremely happy I waited for it. It gets better almost daily too if you are into the "scene".

He is yet another person who hasn't used it who knows that it is clearly a flop. I have zero issues with mine. It is everything I wanted and then some, and I am extremely happy I waited for it. It gets better almost daily too if you are into the "scene".

The only issue I have had comes from the sub par battery life but I think I might have figured out why. Some people were saying they have issues with the phone connecting to 4g/3g and loosing connection. I never had those issues (though the store demo did have those problems) but trying to track down why battery drains so quickly I have been running with data off and turn it on when I use it. I have better battery life as a result (I still haven't drained it all the way so I don't know if this was causing such a big drain), maybe my phone is using more juice to stay connected because of the data connection problem? I don't really know and this is all speculation.

Umm, I have modded my phone, like it was meant to be, it is is fucking amazing. Smooth, fast, and completely customizable. Fuck every other phone. This is the best phone I've ever had. My only issue is I'm constantly hanging out at Rootzwiki looking for new ROM, Mods, and other cool shit. It's addicting.

The only issue I have had comes from the sub par battery life but I think I might have figured out why. Some people were saying they have issues with the phone connecting to 4g/3g and loosing connection. I never had those issues (though the store demo did have those problems) but trying to track down why battery drains so quickly I have been running with data off and turn it on when I use it. I have better battery life as a result (I still haven't drained it all the way so I don't know if this was causing such a big drain), maybe my phone is using more juice to stay connected because of the data connection problem? I don't really know and this is all speculation.

After setting up with a solid ROM (Gummy) and tweaking voltage and setting speed at screen off etc. I have great battery life. Its easily will last all day.

After setting up with a solid ROM (Gummy) and tweaking voltage and setting speed at screen off etc. I have great battery life. Its easily will last all day.

Same here. I get the best battery life I've ever had on a phone. When I had the stock ROM, it sucked. But every rom I've tried has been far superior, each getting better.

My battery generally is dead after 6 hours of moderate use which for me is everyday. I've got a charger at work, the car, and two at home. If I can bump that up to say about 10 hours that would be exactly where I feel the sweet spot would be.

My battery has been all over the place. If you really use the phone and browse the web for a while (especially on 4G) the battery will be dead before you know it. I know 4G is a battery killer but the same is also true for my phone being on 3G too.

Today seemed to be different though. Phone was off the charger for like 2 hours and was down to 87% but all I did was text some and that was about it.

Wow. My phone GSM lasts the entire day on about an hour charge. Texting, emailing, calling, light web use. I have about 40 percent left at the end of the night.

Wow. My phone GSM lasts the entire day on about an hour charge. Texting, emailing, calling, light web use. I have about 40 percent left at the end of the night.

Im of the state of mind that I will take my lesser battery performance, in exchange for insane LTE.

Screenshot_2012-01-03-22-55-21.png

I don't get anywhere near that in my area - Tampa, FL. I get on average between 5-7mbps.

Its consistently that fast for me. That 7 on the bottom was done in the automatic car wash, not very good signal. With full signal it gets a bit faster, usually consistent 30-35.

Im throwing around dropping my 80/month 20mbps internet to go with 30/month tethering from this thing. Ive been using the wireless tether app on it, and it blows my home internet out of the water.

Its consistently that fast for me. That 7 on the bottom was done in the automatic car wash, not very good signal. With full signal it gets a bit faster, usually consistent 30-35.

Im throwing around dropping my 80/month 20mbps internet to go with 30/month tethering from this thing. Ive been using the wireless tether app on it, and it blows my home internet out of the water.

Damn, $80/month for 20 Mb/sec connection? Insight where I'm at is $40/month for 20/1.5.

Back