official MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI thread

Captin Insano said:
The main reason for this problem is not the Mobo being the cause. Its either your cpu topping out or its at the max it can handle with the cooling it has at the moment and thats why it does this. I have the DFI and Let me tell you voltage options are way more superior then the MSI and day of the week. Its kinda a pain in the ass to use the jumpers to get the settings of Vcore and Vdimm that you want and I think it should all be done in the bios but they do have more then the MSI does at this time. The MSI is unfortunatly regulated and cant even be volt modded to bypass the problem. The DFI can reach Vcore of 2.17 and Vdimm of 3.9. Much more then any board out there unmoded will do. Now I will say I like thoes functions on my DFI board but man its but ugly. The DFI was made with the extreme to mid Overclocker in mind as well as the blind.

Cpt I

My reason for thinking it is the motherboard is that the chip DOES take the voltages, it just doesn't take it when posting. I cannot get my motherboard to post if I set the voltage to anything over 1.425V (total, including any +3, 5, 8.3% increases) or somewhere in that general area. Cooling does not seem to be an issue because my chip stays at 38C under load with 1.55V @2.4Ghz, but I can't tell my BIOS to run that fast because the board won't post when I do. I can only set those specs in Windows. So I'm not saying that the DFI doesn't supply more voltage. I fully understand that it does. All I am saying is that someone else had the same issue with posting at voltages over stock VID voltage with their DFI.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something (and if I am feel free to help me out because you have helped me a lot), but I don't know why it would be the CPU/Cooling when the CPU/Cooling is adequate in Windows. You previously suggested that since the computer is starting up, that's when the most power is needed (which is very logical) and for some reason all the components needed to post aren't getting enough power until I poweroff/poweron several times. So somewhere along the line, there is a power issue. I've been thinking lately that it might have to do with the fact that I run 6600GT's which do not require external power. Maybe in trying to start them up, there is a problem with getting enough power for the CPU/memory/video through the motherboard. But that is just speculation on my part.

aliens50 said:
Alright - I have had this board for almost a week now. Of course I didn't get the d-bracket with it, but I plan on calling MSI about that to see if they'll ship one out to me since I expected it ( I didn't really, but it mentions it on the box so hey, why not).

The CoreCenter is only OK. I cannot choose the "auto" option since it is no where to be found. I still can't figure that one out.

I cannot get my memory to clock over 215 stable. I've lowered the multiplier and HT. I've tried increasing the voltage to 2.75.

Make sure your memory is set to whatever "normal" is under both the high performance and agressive timings settings in Bios under the Cell Menu. If that is already done, give the memory 2.85V with the same timings. If that doesn't work, send the memory back :( .

kirbyrj said:
SNIP
I've been thinking lately that it might have to do with the fact that I run 6600GT's which do not require external power. Maybe in trying to start them up, there is a problem with getting enough power for the CPU/memory/video through the motherboard. But that is just speculation on my part.

I was thinking the same thing. Now I only have 1 6600gt and no other pcie cards to tests with. I guess i could pop out the card and try posting lots of times in a row. if I get beeps then im goot to go. Maybe I have a old PCI card around here. OF course even if thats the case. There isnt much I can do as I can't afford a 6800 and don't want to return the one i got to the egg.

Lowbatt said:
I was thinking the same thing. Now I only have 1 6600gt and no other pcie cards to tests with. I guess i could pop out the card and try posting lots of times in a row. if I get beeps then im goot to go. Maybe I have a old PCI card around here. OF course even if thats the case. There isnt much I can do as I can't afford a 6800 and don't want to return the one i got to the egg.

If that's the case and your PSU is the culprit, then I'd just hold onto the other 6600gt and get a better PSU when you can. a Single 6600gt should be fine until you can get a new psu (if that's the problem)...and then just think...when you get the other 6600gt, then you get to love your upgrade all over again :p

kirbyrj said:
My reason for thinking it is the motherboard is that the chip DOES take the voltages, it just doesn't take it when posting. I cannot get my motherboard to post if I set the voltage to anything over 1.425V (total, including any +3, 5, 8.3% increases) or somewhere in that general area. Cooling does not seem to be an issue because my chip stays at 38C under load with 1.55V @2.4Ghz, but I can't tell my BIOS to run that fast because the board won't post when I do. I can only set those specs in Windows. So I'm not saying that the DFI doesn't supply more voltage. I fully understand that it does. All I am saying is that someone else had the same issue with posting at voltages over stock VID voltage with their DFI.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something (and if I am feel free to help me out because you have helped me a lot), but I don't know why it would be the CPU/Cooling when the CPU/Cooling is adequate in Windows. You previously suggested that since the computer is starting up, that's when the most power is needed (which is very logical) and for some reason all the components needed to post aren't getting enough power until I poweroff/poweron several times. So somewhere along the line, there is a power issue. I've been thinking lately that it might have to do with the fact that I run 6600GT's which do not require external power. Maybe in trying to start them up, there is a problem with getting enough power for the CPU/memory/video through the motherboard. But that is just speculation on my part.

Ok a few things to remember here. One we dont know what the CPU stepping and production date is yet. We could be very well at the CPU's max for this particular chip. This is a not know yet
Next is the fact that the Mobo's we are using are very new or young as we would call it in the Bios area as well as hardware area. I can tell you from experince that the last round of MSI Nforce boards the Neo2 went through 4 or 5 Bios revisions and even a hardware revision till they were able to get good Oc's( a good bios to help for stable OC and it made it even better when ones came out that were mod versions and beta versions. Unlocked a ton of ocing tools and options as well as stabillity and compatabillity issues.) Next is I think that whatever you are measuring temps is way off. I dont think that under load that a Oced chip will run under 40 degrees. Unless Cooled will xtreme measures. Possible temps could be higher then they are. once again could be bios issue. thus if the temps are High they have a safe mode and will shut down or reboot. Now if you are having troubles with it Posting especially when you set even higher Vcore. SO lets say we are at 1.4v and we up to 1.45v and even 1.5v or 1.525v and it fails to post At a known postable speed. All we did was raise Vcore. Then we very well could have an issue with the mobo not giving proper Vcore and it crashes out or has voltage droop and causes a hang or no post. So possibillity of mobo problem. Or it could be more then the chip can handle. I have seen with newer production CPU's that some of the have a voltage protection or what I think is over vid protection. Lots of people including newer production FX chips have the same issue. More volatge and they hang or crash out. There are a bunch of possibillitys. Its elimination that leads us to where we need to go and be. One thing to rember. I to often have this problem. Greed sometimes we get greedy and always want a larger OC and sometimes it just aint gonna happen. Be it whatever causes it. So we have to see what our accomplishment is and try to be happy with it. Now im not saying quit or dont push harder Im just saying be realistic. With that in mind here are some ideas to keep things in line. ANYTIME you can get 10% more out of your CPU is great. 15% is awesome and 20% or more is Increadable and will not happen to great many people.

So your CPU started off at 2.0Ghz and now you are up to 2.4Ghz. Thats a gain of of 20 %.(10 % of 2000mhz is only 200 ) Good OC dood!!!!

If ya have any questions or need something feel fre to PM me

The Cpt.

There is nothing wrong with the overclocking ability of the SLI Platinum. I have mine at 280 HTT with CPU volts at 1.50,memory at 2.75 and all other volts at default. I will OC more i just havn't tried anything over 290 HTT yet. This is with 2 6600 GT cards and 2 raptors in raid 0,a pci sound card, a DVD writer and a DVD reader. I believe your issues are with the PS or possibly the memory.

CMAN said:
I believe your issues are with the PS or possibly the memory.

I'm starting to think that its a problem with a particular batch of these boards. I have read some posts where the user had a beefy 24pin power supply and still had problems with posting but could overclock. I can overclock and run primestable for days but I can't get this thing to post each and everytime. If the computer has been off for a few hours and I turn it on, more often than not the computer will not boot until I turn it off and back on again. It's sort of minor but I would like it to boot each time.

tesfaye said:
I'm starting to think that its a problem with a particular batch of these boards. I have read some posts where the user had a beefy 24pin power supply and still had problems with posting but could overclock. I can overclock and run primestable for days but I can't get this thing to post each and everytime. If the computer has been off for a few hours and I turn it on, more often than not the computer will not boot until I turn it off and back on again. It's sort of minor but I would like it to boot each time.

Well then his problem could be the CPU,memory,or just a bad bios setting. I thought i had a good 500wtt power supply untill i bought this OCZ 520 powerstream. I would say 90% of the problems with this board are the user,choice of perips,set up.

I'm experiencing the same problem as you guys. It can overclock just fine and be prime stable and memtest stable for hours... but it will only post like 1 out of 4 boots. Is there a PCI lock? Because when I use clockgen to increase HTT the pci goes up as well, I didn't see a lock in bios :confused:

CMAN said:
Well then his problem could be the CPU,memory,or just a bad bios setting. I thought i had a good 500wtt power supply untill i bought this OCZ 520 powerstream. I would say 90% of the problems with this board are the user,choice of perips,set up.

I would agree with you if only I was having the problem, but at least 2 others are, so that's why I'm wondering if it is a board issue or maybe a batch of boards. And Capt. Insano is right. It is still a new board and with Bios/Hardware revisions it will probably end up being great like the Neo2. I'm not even really complaining. It's a great board now :).

BaNaNaS said:
I'm experiencing the same problem as you guys. It can overclock just fine and be prime stable and memtest stable for hours... but it will only post like 1 out of 4 boots. Is there a PCI lock? Because when I use clockgen to increase HTT the pci goes up as well, I didn't see a lock in bios :confused:

Did you get the NForce4 version of ClockGen? I don't have a problem with my PCI-E bus going up when I use ClockGen.

kirbyrj said:
Did you get the NForce4 version of ClockGen? I don't have a problem with my PCI-E bus going up when I use ClockGen.

Yes, I believe so NVNF4 ... :confused:

EDIT: after reboot, it seems to have set a lock. It doesnt move anymore.

nst6563 said:
If that's the case and your PSU is the culprit, then I'd just hold onto the other 6600gt and get a better PSU when you can. a Single 6600gt should be fine until you can get a new psu (if that's the problem)...and then just think...when you get the other 6600gt, then you get to love your upgrade all over again :p

Well I have a fortron Source Blue Storm 500W PS. It seems to be putting out good voltages and such. I'm not thinking it is the problem. As with everyone else it's stable with prime and all my daily use. Just posting and then not everytime.

***ATTENTION MAXTOR SATA hard drive owners!***

If you try to fire the board up with a 300 GB Maxtor drive, the thing probably ain't gonna boot. I encountered this with my Maxline III. For those with a 300 GB Maxtor, unplug the drive, and set the BIOS to halt on no errors as a temporary fix (I dunno if this could damage your system or not, so do at your own risk. I did that for a few days... you will have to redo it every time you do a cold boot though...)

I'm also going to try to update the firmware for my HD through Maxtor. Maxtor said some of their drives don't play well with the Silicon Image SATA controller, so that's another avenue for users with POST failures to explore.
I'm now running a beta BIOS version with a fix for it, but God knows how long it will be before the official release comes out (I'm actually running the Neo 4 "Diamond" SLI BIOS beta for my Platinum... )
After I did the BIOS update, I could boot with my SATA drive attached with halt on all errors turned on.

Now a question:
Can I run my 2x512 MB Crucial Ballistix DDR400 RAM at 1T timings SAFELY on this board? what are the ideal times to run my RAM at (without them vaporizing?) 2-2-2-10 (I heard that AMD64s run better at 10 over 5... that true?)

Does the board have PCI-lock? PCI-e locks but I can't get my system to boot with over 225MHz FSB. With clockgen I can go all the way to 300MHz stable.

I'm using PATA drive and PCI soundcard.

The Internal said:
***ATTENTION MAXTOR SATA hard drive owners!***

If you try to fire the board up with a 300 GB Maxtor drive, the thing probably ain't gonna boot. I encountered this with my Maxline III. For those with a 300 GB Maxtor, unplug the drive, and set the BIOS to halt on no errors as a temporary fix (I dunno if this could damage your system or not, so do at your own risk. I did that for a few days... you will have to redo it every time you do a cold boot though...)

I'm also going to try to update the firmware for my HD through Maxtor. Maxtor said some of their drives don't play well with the Silicon Image SATA controller, so that's another avenue for users with POST failures to explore.
I'm now running a beta BIOS version with a fix for it, but God knows how long it will be before the official release comes out (I'm actually running the Neo 4 "Diamond" SLI BIOS beta for my Platinum... )
After I did the BIOS update, I could boot with my SATA drive attached with halt on all errors turned on.

Now a question:
Can I run my 2x512 MB Crucial Ballistix DDR400 RAM at 1T timings SAFELY on this board? what are the ideal times to run my RAM at (without them vaporizing?) 2-2-2-10 (I heard that AMD64s run better at 10 over 5... that true?)

Hmm...I have a 300GB Maxtor SATA. I don't boot off it. Is there still the problem if you don't boot off the Maxtor?

I think the new Nforce4's run better at 7 vs. 10. At least that's what I've been hearing.

Why can't this lousy mb boot with high FSB? I can go just 8x220MHz anything higher (for FSB) won't boot. With clockgen in windows I can go all the way to 8x300MHz with no problemo :mad:

I'm using 3xHTT

Yeah Teukka76 I hear you. I just set mine to boot at 220 because thats the highest it will boot at constantly. Then I just use clockgen once I get into windows :(

Darn, so what is the problem here? Voltage or FSB? I think its a flakey bios issue. I can set the voltage to defualt and leave the % over at the lowest setting and I still get the random post failure.

I am going to purchase this board, but have a few questions. I have an antec true power 430 and crucial xms ddr400 memory. Can I use teither of these from my old system. In addition if I cant use this power supply which one would you reccommend. Lastly which heat sink would you reccommend? The Thermaltake Big typhoon caught my eye, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help....

hey everyone just got some pics of my system with THE motherboard here :p

cins1.jpg

cins2.jpg

tesfaye said:
Darn, so what is the problem here? Voltage or FSB? I think its a flakey bios issue. I can set the voltage to defualt and leave the % over at the lowest setting and I still get the random post failure.

My guess is voltage, since the chips run fine once they are in Windows at whatever FSB you want to run.

Comp looks nice by the way :)...the ol' Lian-Li PC-60/65 I believe.

tesfaye...does your board say N1995 or N1996? It looks like 1995 from the one pic, but I can't tell. My board and AMD_Gamer's both say N1996.

nst6563 said:
For all that is holy! Please do something with those cables! :p

I know, I know. I just don't have the time to worry about it. The Cooler Master Wave Master does not have much room especially after fitting four harddrives, two DVD drives and a floppy in there. :(

kirbyrj said:
tesfaye...does your board say N1995 or N1996? It looks like 1995 from the one pic, but I can't tell. My board and AMD_Gamer's both say N1996.

Mine says 1996 as well.

did anyone elese really like the poster of the motherboard it came with? i think its pretty cool and i got it hanging up!

Aight here is my pics. I tried to keep it clean. Soon to be replacing one of the PATA drive with a SATA drive.

pc1.jpg

pc3.jpg

edit: typo and thanks for the compliment on the pics.

Lowbatt said:
Aight here is my pics. I tried to keep it clean. Soon to be replacing once of the PATA drive with a SATA drive.

pc1.jpg

pc3.jpg

those are some good pics of the board

This is really odd. I just got what I thought was my K8N NEO4/SLI delivered on Friday, but in looking over the board there seems to be something odd about it. In the pictures above where the motherboard name is silkscreened onto the PCB itself mine says K8N Diamond with a N1996 above it. Everything on the packaging says K8N NEO4/SLI as does the manual and everything.

What gives?

Ravenrex said:
This is really odd. I just got what I thought was my K8N NEO4/SLI delivered on Friday, but in looking over the board there seems to be something odd about it. In the pictures above where the motherboard name is silkscreened onto the PCB itself mine says K8N Diamond with a N1996 above it. Everything on the packaging says K8N NEO4/SLI as does the manual and everything.

What gives?

Are you in the U.S.? I thought the Diamond was a Europe/Asia version of the same board. Platinum was the U.S. version.

Thanks Tesfaye. I figured it was probably 1996, but I couldn't tell from the pic.

Lowbatt - is that a XP-90 or XP-120? I was thinking of getting one, and now that I see it fits pretty well, I might go get it :).

kirbyrj said:
Are you in the U.S.? I thought the Diamond was a Europe/Asia version of the same board. Platinum was the U.S. version.

Thanks Tesfaye. I figured it was probably 1996, but I couldn't tell from the pic.

Lowbatt - is that a XP-90 or XP-120? I was thinking of getting one, and now that I see it fits pretty well, I might go get it :).

It's a XP-90 and it has no problems fitting at all. It works great. I have a vantec Stealth on there and my max temp under load is 40C and thats when my room is hot. im clocked at 235 FSB and 1.50 Core. I had it at 1.55 and 245 FSB but I got tired of the post issues and I havent messed with clockgen much yet. But needless to say the temps never changed much when I had it that high. Still never got over 40.

The diamond is the Europe/Asia version.

In Europe you can get both diamond and platinium, diamond is more expensive and equipped with more accessories.

I'm in the US, I got the board through my distributer at work which is TechData.
I did not get the wireless card in the box with it, and all the documentation said Platinum, not Diamond. The board did not have the additional fan on the mofset's that I have seen on some pictures of the Diamond board online, although they may have been pre-production samples sent to hardware review sites.

Oh yeah, BTW the XP120 DOES NOT FIT this board. I had to sell that mistake to a friend of mine and order the Zalman 7700 for this board. The XP90 fits fine from what I hear.

Lowbatt said:
It's a XP-90 and it has no problems fitting at all. It works great. I have a vantec Stealth on there and my max temp under load is 40C and thats when my room is hot. im clocked at 235 FSB and 1.50 Core. I had it at 1.55 and 245 FSB but I got tired of the post issues and I havent messed with clockgen much yet. But needless to say the temps never changed much when I had it that high. Still never got over 40.

The diamond is the Europe/Asia version.

How accurate are the temps with this board? I run with the stock cooler at 2.4ghz (9x267) with 1.5V and the temps with Prime95 get to 40C. My system temp is around 31C. Is the board running hotter than this or is this temp accurate?

Viper999 said:
I am going to purchase this board, but have a few questions. I have an antec true power 430 and crucial xms ddr400 memory. Can I use teither of these from my old system. In addition if I cant use this power supply which one would you reccommend. Lastly which heat sink would you reccommend? The Thermaltake Big typhoon caught my eye, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help....

I'm not sure that PSU will run the board with SLI or not. I got an OCZ Powerstream 520 and it works well. Do you mean Corsair XMS DDR400? I think that would work fine with the board (at least I haven't heard of it causing any problems). Right now I run the stock heatsink, but if I were going to upgrade, I'd go with the XP-90 myself. Might have to use a hairdryer to remove the backplate though. You'd have to ask someone who's put it on their board (and by the pics there are a few of them).

Back