*Official* Norco data storage products thread

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
Thread for the discussion of Norco data storage products, including RPC-4020/4220/4224 server cases, 5-in-3 drive backplanes, aftermarket fan brackets, modding, troubleshooting.

If you have a new product idea or request, post it here, and a Norco rep has committed to reviewing this thread from time to time.

Last edited:
Here's a first look at an engineering sample of the upcoming RPC-4224 24-bay chassis. Not revolutionary by any stretch since they essentially took the empty space above the drive bays of the 20-bay RPC-4220 case and used it for a sixth row of drives, similar to how Supermicro has been doing their 24-bay case for years, but nevertheless this 24-bay design is what many of us have been waiting since the pricepoint will be a fraction of similar Supermicro and Chenbro offerings.

UPDATE: Despite the photo of the backplane Norco confirmed the final backplane will use SFF-8087 connectors just like in the RPC-4220. Phew. I also asked about plans for a SKU with an integrated SAS expander chip on the backplane, and they are in the process of building one and sourcing a chip for it but it will come later. Lastly I let them know I wuold've preferred to see a fan bracket utilizing 3 x 120mm fans rather than 4 or 5 80mm's as they seem to have opted for again. I'm urging them to change this before the design is set in stone, otherwise cavediver is going to be busy again selling aftermarket 120mm fan brackets like he's done with the 4220 :)

4224_1.jpg

4224_2.jpg

4224_3.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the title and knew immediately it was odditory :)

Best Rackmount Case Value ever :D

Pretty much everything odditory said would make me happy enough with the Norco to choose it over the 24 bay supermicro. cant wait!

Too bad I already have two 4020s. Hard to justify spending another $350 on a third case just for a few extra drives.

I own a 4020 and have been using half the top 2.5 rows for drives in use, and the bottom half to store my on-site backups (it's nice to be able to just plug-in the backup drives when needed by having them already in trays). However.. I'm getting to the point I need to use the bottom 2.5 rows for drives in use. I see on norco's online store they are selling the trays for $15 each. If I were to buy 20x trays, that would be $300.. I can pickup a second case for $320 on newegg.. but that seems like a waste of case if it's not in use. Anyone know where to get these trays cheaper? Or should I just spend the $320 just for trays?

Too bad I already have two 4020s. Hard to justify spending another $350 on a third case just for a few extra drives.
Think of everyone who'll be selling their 4220's to us when they upgrade. And we can pass our 4020's on to the "next generation".

It's the circle of life man.

I would purchase a 4020 over a 4220, just because of the cooling required.

I like my 4220. It's nice. Just watch out as the 8087SFF to SATA cables must be reverse cables.

The Norco cables work perfectly.

I replaced the 4 80 mm noise makers with 3 120s after boring out the metal bracket. Much quieter and sufficiently cooling with 12 drives the case.

This thread may be relevant to my concerns even though I just started a new thread at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035407909.

I have a rpc4020 that has the two internal cages for 3.5" hard drives and one slim optical slot.

What slim optical drive will install in the case since my sony crx880a does not seem to want to fit?

Which exact adapter is required since slim sata will need its own unique power and data connection while slim ide seems to have more than one type of connection to convert into standard ide?

Here's a first look at an engineering sample of the upcoming RPC-4224 24-bay chassis. Not revolutionary by any stretch since they essentially took the empty space above the drive bays of the 20-bay RPC-4220 case and used it for a sixth row of drives, similar to how Supermicro has been doing their 24-bay case for years, but nevertheless this 24-bay design is what many of us have been waiting since the pricepoint will be a fraction of similar Supermicro and Chenbro offerings.

Wow, very nice! Do you know if Norco has any plans for a 32-bay (or 36) configuration in the future? That would be REALLY nice for HP SAS setups, to max out the cards for each unit with easily-accessible hot-swap bays on the cheap :cool:

They don't have any plans for 32 or 36 bay configs that I'm aware of, but I did confirm the following in a recent conversation:

- Planning a preassembled SAS/JBOD chassis "just add drives". Think Norco 16 or 24 bay case + PSU + Norco branded SAS expander (PCI slot expansion card with MOLEX power input, similar to Chenbro). Doesn't seem like they'll be integrating SAS expander chip into backplane just yet; appears they're more interested in selling low-cost Norco branded SAS expander card which no doubt has bigger sales potential.

- Finally moving to 120mm fan brackets going forward (popular demand). Unclear whether aftermarket bracket will be offered for existing owners or if they'll simply appear in newer server cases.

I'm not sure the handful of us that have mickey moused our own configurations together with untested bleeding edge components - and got lucky that it worked - account for most people looking for an easier solution, not by a longshot :)

Do you know what SAS Expander Chip they are going to use? EDIT: Also are they going to make a 48 drive Sun Thumper type case?

They were talking about using LSI SASX28 IC, but I pointed them at the PM8005 since its a SAS2 chip (same one as on the HP SAS Expander) so they're both being considered. They're also looking for a board design partner since their own engineers have been having some difficulty.

Wow finally at 24-drive case...looking good. Now i am thinking of getting the half one and just connect a SFF8088 to it instead... and just leave it on one of my drawers...lol

Did you get a sense of how long it will be before any of these new products are released?

Do it Blue Fox...would be good exp...im tryign to apply to cpe master programs but not looking good as my gre scores and gpa isn't that great...

Not that they would do it, but I wish the back had 2x92mm or 1x120mm fans. 80mm fans need to go away.

i believe odditory said they are opting for the 120mm fanboards...my guess similar to how cavediver did his

This thread may be relevant to my concerns even though I just started a new thread at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035407909.

I have a rpc4020 that has the two internal cages for 3.5" hard drives and one slim optical slot.

What slim optical drive will install in the case since my sony crx880a does not seem to want to fit?

Which exact adapter is required since slim sata will need its own unique power and data connection while slim ide seems to have more than one type of connection to convert into standard ide?

bump.

what slim optical drives has anyone gotten to fit into the norco rpc-4020?

EDIT: i did not realize that the reason my sony slim cd/dvd wouldn't fit was b/c it had a caddy screwed on.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any updated estimates for when the improved 4220 (i.e. with larger fans) and/or the 24-bay model might be shipping? I'm holding my build until I can get either of these cases... Thanks!

FWIW, I put an old fan controller in the 4220 this weekend (probably will buy another today) and those mid-case delta blowers are MUCH quieter running at 70%. Seems like airflow isn't that bad espeically since after that partition there's only 33w worth of power consumption.

I will say, Norco should buy Cavediver's fan design and offer it as at least a cheap option post-purchase.

Could somebody with an RPC450 measure the area where the drive cages are? I'm interested to see if I can fit a Thermochill PA120.3 in there. Thanks!

How about MEB size motherboards (13.5" x 16.5") support for the new Norco 4224 (or variant)?

I have been looking around for a 24-bay server rackmount chassis that can support SSI MEB motherboard (Supermicro, Tyan) to take advantage of 4-way motherboards - especially with the new AMD 6100 series (8-12 core).
At this point in time, there are only a few models available (Supermicro, Chenbro, AIC) that all cost close to $2000/ea and do not even come with SAS expander or SATA/SAS 6Gb support.

I have a firm conviction - and many others can confirm as well - that Norco server array chassis will be even more popular and successful if its models can support SSI MEB size motherboards too.
Please vote for MEB motherboards support if you also share the idea. Wild...

Does anybody have any updated estimates for when the improved 4220 (i.e. with larger fans) and/or the 24-bay model might be shipping? I'm holding my build until I can get either of these cases... Thanks!

should have some news on this next tuesday, maybe even with pics.

Oh man, those expanders look so awesome. Grab an HP expander card and a bunch of cables and go to town on it. Especially if they end up switching to 120mm fans.

I ended up cheating and zip tying 3 120s together then anchoring them to the case in my 4220 using the holes the regular fan bracket bolts to. It's ghetto as hell, but it works surprisingly nicely.

Back