Official StarCraft 2 Discussion Thread

"Vibrant new 3D-graphics engine with support for dazzling visual effects and massive unit and army sizes"

If what they say is true, there is indeed a new engine. I would never believe Blizz would re-use an old engine for a monumental game of this magnitude.

Wholly crepe.
https://us.blizzard.com/sc2collectible/starcraft2/menu.html

:eek:
Will StarCraft II take advantage of DirectX 10? What other graphical goodies are included?

The game will be compatible with DirectX 10, and we're still considering whether there will be exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects, but the graphics engine will also be very scalable to ensure that a wide range of different systems will be capable of running StarCraft II. The new engine is also capable of rendering very large units, as well as large numbers of units on screen together. Havok physics have been integrated into the engine for added realism as well.

Reading around the website, looks like the toss is gonna be the shit. Although it looks like thats the only units/buildings they've really advertised so far. I'm guessing they'll have a whole Zerg and Terran push here soon.

Looks great thus far. :) I wouldn't be terribly worried about balance (even though it seems the 'toss have gotten a few 'buffs'), bliz has had some experience in this field. ;)

Donno about toss being the shit.. remember now.. if you get to control Duran for zerg.. then theres going to be protoss-zerg hybrids. As for terran... i donno... super science vessel?

i'm wondering if that limited edition statue is worth some money later on.
$250.

hmm....if they release a more gory one with zerg or something i might pick it up.

The full res screenshots are on the official web site. This game looks pretty damn good even with no AA so far.

World of Starcraft is more than likely guaranteed in 2 to 3 years. I am happy beyond belief.

I didn't play the original Starcraft much. I was a major WC3 player, was top ranked for a breif period of time. I've been looking for a genuine replacement since then, so it looks like this game will be it.

Okay okay okay...

Anyone else slightly disappointed with the concept? I mean, a new Starcraft.. thats GREAT!

But this game seems to be like Starcraft v1.2, not a new and exciting game of Starcraft. Its just like... remastered. >_<

It's starcraft in 3D.

With some new units.

That's pretty damn woot-tastic. Only took 'em ten years.

Okay okay okay...

Anyone else slightly disappointed with the concept? I mean, a new Starcraft.. thats GREAT!

But this game seems to be like Starcraft v1.2, not a new and exciting game of Starcraft. Its just like... remastered. >_<
yea, exactly my thoughts, but its only JUST been announced. i'll give it some time, and hopefully there will actully be something new there except for the gfx.

Hell yeah, It's about time !! mwuah ha ha ha ha .... :D

I am so looking forward to this, Starcraft is still one of the best games EVER !

This might be enough to draw me back to Windows gaming finally.

I'll keep hoping it runs just as well as all the other Blizzard titles under 'nix though. :)

Oh yeah, no widescreen support in this game would really, really suck. We stuck with SC1 @ 640x480, SC2 @ 1920x1200 glory!

I wonder if they will do SupCom style dual-mon support or whatnot. SupCom is definitely a RTS of its own caliber though, very very strategic. SC and C&C look like pre-school in comparison in terms of tactics.

Okay okay okay...

i posted almost the same comment on my forum as well. from the look of it, it feels like it's nothing more then an ex-pack for original SC. some extra units/buildings... and updated graphics (i'm not disliking them... the graphics look amazing!)

i was really hopping for a new race. i'll still buy it... and so will everyone else who has ever played the original SC and then some. just that... i was expecting more from this title. that's all. i hope Blizz can prove me wrong.

Okay okay okay...

Thats what I thought as well.
Yea the graphics look nice - not as nice as C&C 3 I would say, but that's of much concern to me. It's an early build, there's lot of polish left to add, so I'm confident those will not be the final look, nor the final user interface.

That said, the units, the buildings, even the environment looks exactly like starcarft. I really hope the game plays like a sequel and not another expansion pack, but the first impression is they kept this very much like the original, even more so than C&C 3 was a rehash of the orginal I think.
I'm sure that will be popular for people who still play starcarft on a regular basis, I'm just not sure that's what I want out of a sequel ten plus years coming.

HAHAHA Blizzard's home page has the greatest tag line for the game, ever.

"Hell, Its about time."

These are the issues Blizzard is gonna have to deal with in terms of how far they're willing to go. If they make it too different, the old-school fanatics will yell "You ruined the balance!" or "Its not the same!" (which is what many people do still want, believe it or not). But if they do too little, people will yell "Its just Starcraft 1.5!"

To be honest, I like the way its going so far. Making something completely different in terms of gameplay isnt an absolute necessity, as long as it still kicks ass.

Hell, I remember the days where I played Mega Man X, X2 and X3. The graphics and gameplay were very similar to each other, but they were all different enough to be considered different games. I'm more of the person that likes to have certain key elements preserved rather than having everything revamped alltogehter.

This is outstanding. Starcraft is one of the greatest games ever created. Good to see this done. Glad to see this will be released on the Mac platform too at the same time. <3 Now its time for a new powerbook as soon as they release them

I agree that I wanted to see Diablo 3. However, we all know that will come eventually.

Edit: This game will not do well if there is no widescreen support. Since any new computer you get now has a widescreen.

Now, Off topic... Square Enix needs to re release FF7 now with updated graphics.

Now, Off topic... Square Enix needs to re release FF7 now with updated graphics.

Seconded :D. Now THATs a game where I would like to see some incredible gameplay changes. I've grown a slight hatred toward turn-based RPGs, as I've played through so many in the past.

These are the issues Blizzard is gonna have to deal with in terms of how far they're willing to go. If they make it too different, the old-school fanatics will yell "You ruined the balance!" or "Its not the same!" (which is what many people do still want, believe it or not). But if they do too little, people will yell "Its just Starcraft 1.5!"

To be honest, I like the way its going so far. Making something completely different in terms of gameplay isnt an absolute necessity, as long as it still kicks ass.

Hell, I remember the days where I played Mega Man X, X2 and X3. The graphics and gameplay were very similar to each other, but they were all different enough to be considered different games. I'm more of the person that likes to have certain key elements preserved rather than having everything revamped alltogehter.

Well, I wasnt expecting something completely different. :p Who know though, maybe there will be heroes? I just expect more from Blizzard games than remakes. But as others have stated, it is probably too early to know for sure what its going to be like.

I mean, a new race would of done wonders. The storyline led right into a new race (unless they are saving that for a SC2 expansion pack).

But they could probably take the game to great lengths different by the new units and how they implement them and possibly other concepts, like maybe some new tech upgrading (who knows really at this point).

If nothing else, its going to be tricky for Blizzard to pull this off right. I have never doubted Blizzard's competence at making games, but this is the first time that I have to slightly wonder if their initial concept is going to be worth it or not.

Well, I wasnt expecting something completely different. :p Who know though, maybe there will be heroes? I just expect more from Blizzard games than remakes. But as others have stated, it is probably too early to know for sure what its going to be like.

I mean, a new race would of done wonders. The storyline led right into a new race (unless they are saving that for a SC2 expansion pack).

But they could probably take the game to great lengths different by the new units and how they implement them and possibly other concepts, like maybe some new tech upgrading (who knows really at this point).

If nothing else, its going to be tricky for Blizzard to pull this off right. I have never doubted Blizzard's competence at making games, but this is the first time that I have to slightly wonder if their initial concept is going to be worth it or not.

I am willing to put money on a new race for the expansion. Deffinatly.

I know how you feel. By hey, here's a good way to see what's new :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzHprN9Oos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvxg490ueM

Right now, there are different videos from different uploaders out there so im having trouble finding a part 3. Looks like its gonna be a lot more than a simple remake to me :eek:

...This game will not do well if there is no widescreen support. Since any new computer you get now has a widescreen....

It's fully suppoted in WoW, I don't see them skipping it in SC2 :).

Very good article on Gamespot about SC2. http://www.gamespot.com/news/617117...clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;1

I'll just point out some key stuff:

"Starcraft II's development history, which Pardo expained "started shortly after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" back in 2003. According to Pardo, the game is "very far along," and that the game is already playable in multiplayer will all three factions."

"We don't really have a budget; we'll spend as much time and resources as we need to make this game great."

I swear...if this game gets release within the next year...I'll die a happy man.

That seems far too soon, considering Blizzard's tendency to spend as much time as possible developing their games. I would be surprised though.

Okay okay okay...

I agree. I know it's too early but if the game is 4 years into development like Blizz says, and with the info they are releasing, it looks like an expansion set on steriods (but won't require the original game).

I hope they reveal some info on the game that really makes it stand apart from the original.

Either way, if it retains the same game play style and balance, I wouldn't mind having Starcraft HD just for the higher resolution alone.

I hope there won't be heroes... I hated hero units in WarCraft 3. Super-units, perhaps, but god, not heroes! I really want it to be similar to StarCraft 1, personally... perhaps a small number of changes, but nothing major. It is a tricky spot for them though, as some want nothing more than to see a completely different game :(. A new race would really hurt the balance of the game if you ask me... I don't see how they could implement it properly, though yeah, the story lead right into it.

(goes off to read more)

EDIT: Best screenshot by far: http://us.media.blizzard.com/starcraft2/images/screenshots/ss2-hires.jpg

Taken from SC Legacy. This is from the concept art video.

statisbig.jpg

glad they kept it nice and rounded not looking like ass like dawn of war and such. CnC looks good but I dunno why people are comparing they are very different games. CnC never changes much and has taken bits and pieces from SC where as SC has always been pretty pure and always about game play not just being pretty. I think a lot of the new RTS's suck. Gigantic maps slow game play and flashy units. I dont think thats anything special. I still think the first is the best and even when sc2 is out I still will but I think this game looks pretty damn good and they didn't just make it a mod of wc3.

Well, one thing I just noticed from one of the screenshots I posted on the first page is that Colossus can be attacked by air only units/structures. It shows the Terran missile turrets shooting at the top part of the Colossus.

Back