Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

No seriously, I played this morning for about 30mins, it was SO fun.

My new favorite FPS. I couldn't believe it.

I miss the grenades, but, as it was said, I can do without them.
Capture-Point maps are more balenced now for sure. They don't cap the point as soon as they touch it anymore.

I played Dustbowl and Dustbowl, one of my old favorites. They were very faithful in recreating the map and I felt they did it justice.

Heavyweapons and Soldier are definitly fun. The soldier is a massive powerhouse in TF2. He just seems stronger all aound and a direct hit from his rocket is pretty much GG to anything other then HW/Soldier. HW's have the ability to "spin-up" their gun and it makes them so pwnage. There is no more delay in firing if you "spin-up" the gun. You run as fast as the soldier, (I think) until you decide to fire or "spin-up" your chaingun. No longer are you the last on the scene. It is a VERY nice change.

The Sniper seems unchanged. His full auto weapon is some sort of pistol now, (G18?) but other then that, he is same ole', same ole'. The scope is much nicer now though, and the laser is a blueish instead of RED. Good if you are a sniper, not so good if you are hiding from one. Doesn't take as long to get 100% power either. It charges up much faster and is MUCH easier to determine when you are at full power.

Pyros are a ton of fun to play. The fire from their gun is so damn nicely rendered. They are a little stronger then in TF I think.

I tried to play an Engi, but I couldn't figure out how to build any of his damn anything. The menus were confusing. Also, the Engi is sorely lacking w/o his EMP grenades. Period.

I can't wait to get out of work. I'm gonna blast home and play till the wee hours of the night... Then do my homework :(

So...I heard valve was still working on some bugs with the hldsupdate tool and dedicated servers, is any of that ready to be released yet?

Just got off work.... on my way home now to play TF2 for the rest of the day. Can't wait to try it out!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm. I can preorder this game from FYE w/ a $10 off $35 coupon plus I got a giftcard. Should I just get it there for $40? Can I still play the beta if I send valve my receipt? Or do they only let ppl play the beta if they preorder directly from them. How is this game anyways? I didn't like Team Fortress, I was always a Counter strike kinda guy. but the visuals in this game are so awesome. What to do what do? :confused:

So...I heard valve was still working on some bugs with the hldsupdate tool and dedicated servers, is any of that ready to be released yet?

They released the Win32 source however they have not released the linux one as of yet. That is where the problems are.

hmm. I can preorder this game from FYE w/ a $10 off $35 coupon plus I got a giftcard. Should I just get it there for $40? Can I still play the beta if I send valve my receipt? Or do they only let ppl play the beta if they preorder directly from them. How is this game anyways? I didn't like Team Fortress, I was always a Counter strike kinda guy. but the visuals in this game are so awesome. What to do what do? :confused:

the beta can only be play with the online purchase thru steam

Made forget about that other beta out right now crysis or something? I can see this game eating up alot of my winter.

played it for a bit just now, amazing game. I was a die hard TFC player and yeah, no grenades stink, but I can live with it and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

my first thought when I played this was "ETQW is pretty fucking screwed"

If I just buy TF2 can I still play the beta?

Not right now, no. At some point? Maybe.

BETA now is for PRE-ORDER Orange Box Orders Only.

Game is pretty fun, played for ~30mins or so this morning before I had to get to work.

Yeah an [H] group on the Steamcommunity would be good, shacknews, etc. has their group.

Anyway, any ideas what the achievement thing does yet? Does it unlock anything? It says I am at 12% / 100% achievement?

Finally, the spy is ridiculously overpowered! Without grenades lying around for him to walk into and with the spy being able to CLOAK, he just stabs you out of invisible air!

Finally, the spy is ridiculously overpowered! Without grenades lying around for him to walk into and with the spy being able to CLOAK, he just stabs you out of invisible air!

as opposed to... visible air?

:p

Sorry if this has been asked already.....I can not get this "orange box" till friday...will it still be available? Is there a time limit to DL it?

Can someone confirm you can bunnyhop in TF2?
If you knew how to bhop in TFC and CSS, please post.
(True bunnyhopping allows you to bhop at about 175% normal running speed)

is anyone else having problems with the game hanging, locking up and random bsod's? am i the only one? :( guess i will delete all local content and reinstall... already updated all my drivers.

Can someone confirm you can bunnyhop in TF2?
If you knew how to bhop in TFC and CSS, please post.
(True bunnyhopping allows you to bhop at about 175% normal running speed)

The jump button is almost completly useless, they is no bunnyhop.

Just got through with about 6 straight hours of TF2 after getting back from work, it's a really good game.

On my system it looks and runs fantastic, more or less 100fps average on a 24 player server, maybe 50-60 when it gets really hectic.

Here's a summary of what I think, pro's and cons.

+ Visuals + Art style
+ Performance
+ Love the animations, especially turrets building
+ Pyro can actually kill now
+ Spy is more tactical now
+ Love the scout double jump
+ Sniper is well balanced
+ Voice acting sounds great
+ Intro videos to maps helps newbs
+ Interface for picking team/spec and class are all really nice

- Biggest negative, the spawn timer, this is WAY too long for such a frantic game, this should definately be reduced to at least 1/4 of what it currently is, the wait should only be 5 seconds on average.
- Medic can't infect enemies, I miss this interesting game dynamic
- Some of the grenades could have stayed, the scouts caltrops, the spys halucegen, I'm not bothered about the HE grenades, that was a bit too spammy in TFC
- I think they should sacrafice the scouts power and make him faster, the baseball bat is ok but the shotgun type thing he has is actually really powerful, they seem to have measured the scout in terms of combat ability and upped the power a little, but forgot he's a flag runner and I think he could be a hair faster (not much)
- I think the demomans primary nades when you get a direct hit are too powerful, heavy weapons players stand little to no chance against demo men due to their ability to fire around corners and also strafe out of cover, fire and go back in, being a target as big as they are and as slow as they are, hitting them with nades is a piece of piss and its about 2 nades to kill a HWG
- Turrets push people too much, the fully upgraded turrets are fine in almost every respect, but when you take a temporarily invincible heavy agaist them, the push from the gunfire is way too much, you can't get close. It also effects ability to sprint from cover to a doorway since it just keeps pushing you
- Some of the maps you start a bit too far away from the action (when you're defending) if you add on top of this what feels like a slower movement speed and much slower respawn time, defending feels a lot worse than attack, it's far more boring IMO
- I'd like to see more CTF and less holding the points, CTF in my opinion is the stronger more fun game mode.

All in all I think it's lived up to the hype, I think a lot of die hard TFC will be upset with what they've done, especially with grenades, but I feel it's a good move, I don't consider

Yeah I agree that the spawn time is WAY to long, and maps can end way to quickly.

I remember playing on a map this morning, I was a medic and most of my team was overrun and the enemy ran right past me, so I came up from behind and got 3 kills with the knife/saw or whatever that weapon is.

I was finally killed by some demo guys nade spammage and the round ended before I spawned again... I was blown away. I think I got some of the only kills for my team as the round was over in like 2 minutes.

Can you please elaborate?

Basically jump doesn't do much unless you are a scout and can double-jump. Regular jump = HL2 sized or lower, basically can hop up on barrels / boxes / whatever but not bounce all over the place.

I just laid waste to an entire team as a Heavy backed up by two Medics. Bwahahaha!

I love this game! :D

So there is no way to get this Beta going without buying the Orange Pack. LAME. I already own within Steam HL1/ HL2 Ep1 and 2. Do they give me some sort of break because I'm double buying this stuff?

- Biggest negative, the spawn timer, this is WAY too long for such a frantic game, this should definately be reduced to at least 1/4 of what it currently is, the wait should only be 5 seconds on average.

Nope. It makes the game less spammy, and actually penalizes death.

Except maps can end in the 20 seconds or whatever you are dead for, and considering its easy to die from rockets / nades staying alive is hard, esp if you are the medic and not the guy being healed by the medic :p

I agree.

Playing Fortress Forever was a never ending barrage of spam. It wasn't fun, there was no skill, it was just a bunch of people holding fire and jumping around like monkeys on a meth binge.

TF2 is much more skill based, and you actually get a penalty for dying. If there was no penalty, as a Scout I could run around willy nilly and be back to the battle within 5 seconds when I died from being careless.

As it stands I actually have to play the class as intended, as a hit and run character. I get in, get off a couple shots and take a few licks in the process, then I run back to find a medic or health pack. If there was no spawn delay I wouldn't even bother because I coudl be back to the front line so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Back