Oh no, AVA Direct problem.

KillRoy X

Gawd
I think it will be my luck when ordering custom computers.

I just received my AVA direct computer that uses the Antec 900 case. I have a Corsair 750TX power supply. The way they install it, the fan is pointing downwards flush against the bottom of the case. There is no ventilation hole on the bottom.

I'm pretty sure this is a screw up, but wanted to make sure by coming here. I just missed the hours of CS by phone but sent an email to AVA. Until I know for sure, my new computer will not be turned on.

100_Computer.jpg

And the updated "flipped" version: All is good

100_1822.jpg

I am pretty sure the fan on the Corsair 750TX is an intake fan so it merely will be pulling air from inside the case and exiting outside the case assisting air flow. I could see how some might see this as a potential cooling issue for the power supply but if you think about it, things would be much worse if it was an exhaust fan.

Not only that but if there was a overheating issue with the power supply and the fan was functioning, obviously you would have an air flow issue with the case or your room is a furnace.

I agree and understand it's intake, however there is absolutely no room for any air to even come from inside the case. It is completely flush with the bottom of the case. So the fan will be pulling air from what? Maybe I"m being to anal in this case. I just want to make sure this is not a heating issue.

thanks for the reply

Well I was looking at the back of the Antec 900 and it looks like it has the mounting holes to be able to mount a power supply upside down if you wanted to go that route.

They installed it wrong. I had a friend do this, his PSU got extremely hot.

You will need to fix it yourself or get them to fix it.

It will get hot.
Just unscrew it and flip it around, it looks like you have enough slack to do so..

It does look like I have some room to flip it. The concern I have, and I'll talk with Misha or one of the other guys, is that they did indeed put it through the testing with it in this position. I'm just wondering if anything could have gotten that hot where it might have done some damage. I would think most likely not, but who really knows.

I'm sure I'm being over cautious on this, but my experience lately with builders hasn't been good. I will say this, the packaging, presentation, cable management looks good. Just this one minor thing has me worried.

the wiring actually looks pretty kickass from most antec 900s i've seen. Did you order the $90 wiring or just regular?

I'm sure it will be fine. Corsair makes good PSUs and some hours hot shouldn't do any long term damage.
And that is some kickass wiring in a 900.

Well AVA did come clean and say that this was a technical error. After checking into the situation further, they stated a newer tech worked on it and it was an oversight.

I'm glad that they were honest about this and I think if I flip it now it will be ok. There is a 3 year warranty so hopefully that helps.

Now to flip it without ruining the great wiring job they did. :confused:

To answer Aelfgeft, we did not cut any holes in the motherboard, we just have a great technique with wiring management. :) .

In response to Killroy X: We, at AVADirect, take great pride in our quality service, performance, and support in any way we are summoned to assist. Satisfaction is key in custom PC building, and more importantly, trust and honesty. Without your trust in us, you could not depend on our solutions to solve your problems. Our business is run by PC enthusiasts, such as yourself, pouring their hearts into every system they assemble. That's exactly what lacks in today's PC building market, and that's why AVADirect exists

Joseph Mundy
Sales Associate
800-808-8299 direct

In response to Killroy X: We, at AVADirect, take great pride in our quality service, performance, and support in any way we are summoned to assist. Satisfaction is key in custom PC building, and more importantly, trust and honesty. Without your trust in us, you could not depend on our solutions to solve your problems. Our business is run by PC enthusiasts, such as yourself, pouring their hearts into every system they assemble. That's exactly what lacks in today's PC building market, and that's why AVADirect exists

Joseph Mundy
Sales Associate
800-808-8299 direct

While that's a very nice little speech, it doesn't address why the PSU was installed in this manner. Is this AVA's common method of mounting PSU's in Antec 900's?

While that's a very nice little speech, it doesn't address why the PSU was installed in this manner. Is this AVA's common method of mounting PSU's in Antec 900's?

If you had actually read the entire thread, instead of trying to just dis AVA, you would have seen KillroyX post the following:

Well AVA did come clean and say that this was a technical error. After checking into the situation further, they stated a newer tech worked on it and it was an oversight.

Imagine if this computer was sold to some guy who never opened a computer case in his life.:eek:

Fire.:eek:

The new guy should have just asked somebody. Seems pretty obvious, though. and if you aren't sure, do what I did; go on line to Antec and check it out. Or, I know, look in the manual that comes with the case.:eek:

What's interesting is the first guy built it wrong and then the QA guy also didn't pay attention. Shame on them.

Killroy, didnt you also get a FUBAR'd Cyberpower computer a while back.....man you got no luck.;)

Imagine if this computer was sold to some guy who never opened a computer case in his life.:eek:

The new guy should have just asked somebody. Seems pretty obvious, though. and if you aren't sure, do what I did; go on line to Antec and check it out. Or, I know, look in the manual that comes with the case.:eek:

What's interesting is the first guy built it wrong and then the QA guy also didn't pay attention. Shame on them.

Killroy, didnt you also get a FUBAR'd Cyberpower computer a while back.....man you got no luck.;)

It should NOT have gone in that way AT ALL. Would have taken a good amount of brute forcing to get the screws to line up, its not symmetrical...

It should NOT have gone in that way AT ALL. Would have taken a good amount of brute forcing to get the screws to line up, its not symmetrical...

Yeah, that's me, good ol' Fubar Frenzy mania! Yup, I had a horrible experience with Cyberpower. This is bad, but AVA has such better support. They responded quickly, and after a few emails acknowledged the problem and took responsibility and apologized.

I just flipped it, easy. I will run some things tonight and see if things are running ok. I am confident they will.

And, it did fit quite nicely both ways, Antec900 is set up for it. So not sure if it was that hard to get in the wrong way.

No... It can go either way it has mounting holes to allow either direction.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Personally I probably would not have caught that error and fired up my computer.

You would expect that QA would pay extra attention to the work done by a new technician. However, mistakes do happen and I respect the fact that AVA owned up to their mistake.

It's by the very nature of these system being hand built instead of 'line automated' that you get these kinds of errors once in a while. More than likely since the 900 is a wind tunnel anyway, and there was probably a small fraction of raise from the PSU fan grill there would have been 'some air' under the PSU. If you've built enough PC's like myself then you have made that same error - I know I have about two or three times but I caught it each time before I even turned the PC on for testing and benchmarking much less before it was sent out.

Good comment Zone. I agree, at first I was a little upset, but now, I made the change, the system is running great. The noise level is so much quieter than my previous system. And Crysis is running well.

This runs so much better on this rig than my Cyberpower, and that one had two 8800GT's compared to my AVA that has 1.

I do believe craftsmanship mattes.

I also have to give props for that wiring job in the 900. Very nice job whoever personally did it. :)

wow I can't believe they did that.. You pay all this money for them to build your rig and they do that.
It seems like you have enough knowledge to do your own build...

save some money next time and venture out on your own

wow I can't believe they did that.. You pay all this money for them to build your rig and they do that.

Yeah, it kinda sucked, but I'm over it. About building my own. I actually build my first computer about 8 years ago, and at the time it didn't go too well.

I actually went back and forth on building my own. I have a pretty busy schedule (doesn't everybody) with work and kids...and wife...etc, so it didn't look like I'd have time to build. One day I said, F it, let's just buy one. Then the Cyberpower fiasco. ha! So even though things worked with AVA, my intitial reaction was to puke. Looked like some bad luck, but their quick response helped with the situation. Now just enjoying it when I can!

You probably won't have any significant issues from this point forward enjoy the system :)

Did you buy a 780 or 680 MB??? I cant tell.

Slap another 8800 GT in that deal and SLI man!!!!:D

It really is a clean looking computer, I hope you enjoy it.

There's no "wrong" way to mount it... Antec wouldn't have put 2 hole patterns if there was. The fan facing up might offer better cooling for the PSU, but I really really doubt that anything would have happened if the fan stayed down (I used mine for 6+ months with the fan down... D=?) PSU's don't run ridiculously hot to begin-with, and hot-air still would have exhausted out the back of the PSU.

Did you buy a 780 or 680 MB??? I cant tell.

Slap another 8800 GT in that deal and SLI man!!!!:D

It really is a clean looking computer, I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a 780i motherboard, so yeah, I'm going to put add a second in a couple months. The price has dropped since I ordered my computer for a 8800GT SC, so that's in the plan.

There's no "wrong" way to mount it... Antec wouldn't have put 2 hole patterns if there was. The fan facing up might offer better cooling for the PSU, but I really really doubt that anything would have happened if the fan stayed down (I used mine for 6+ months with the fan down... D=?) PSU's don't run ridiculously hot to begin-with, and hot-air still would have exhausted out the back of the PSU.

That's really not the right way to look at it because to have air exhaust from the back of the PSU you have to have some intake from the PSU itself -- and although you might be getting "some" air from having your fan upside down against the bottom of the case, I can't fathom why in the face of knowing you can get 98% better airflow but just flipping it -- that you wouldn't just go ahead and flip it. In effect as far as airflow goes (screw-mount holes withstanding) there IS a wrong way to mount it. EG just because you have the label facing upwards with that style of case doesn't mean you have it positioned correctly for airflow. You face the power supply where it's positioned best for aiflow, and in this case (and yours) it should be positioned with the large PSU fan upwards to have a chance to intake air properly.

Or if you have an 80mm exhaust PSU you could choose which way to mount it based on what side you want the power cables to come out of...

But yeah, starve a PSU of its cooling and the efficiency curve drops dramatically, and all of a sudden that mega PSU you bought isn't delivering more juice than a 350w PSU.

The good thing about this (aka silver lining), besides the fact that the problem was found and corrected, is that I bet this problem doesn't happen again at AVA :) Two people, the tech and QA person, probably had the riot act read to them, hehe.

Companies make mistakes, it's not about a company being perfect, it's about how a company deals with their mistakes. And I'm sure AVA didn't make a huge amount of money on his build as you imply either, their profit margin on systems is pretty slim. Also, per the forum rules, not everyone here wants to build their own, i think it says something about telling people to always build their own. He didn't build his own and I'm sure he knows he could have so you're wasting your breath.

Back