Oh snap, my computer broke!

JFlo

Limp Gawd
dunno where i should post this so i decided to post it here :p

Well, my computer was running fine until one fine after noon while i was playing a game it just randomly shut off, i was thinking nothing of it but it happened again some time later, and then it kept happening more and more often. Now after about a month of it just randomly shutting off while playing games it shut off during the night while just sitting there and the computer wont start up any more .

I replaced the power supply with an older, but still working, one and it still did not start up, maybe because i hooked it up wrong but i doubt it considering i built the computer myself and took several computer classes that taught me how to build them lol.

oh ya, with the power supply that was in there when it broke when i pushed the button the fans would not even spin, then i put in the other one and the fans spun for like a second then shut off, and now they don't spin at all again.

So what could be the problem, it most likely aint the power suppy.

any help appriciated, i know my way around a computer so i should understand what you are saying .

components
cpu amd athlon 3400 socket 939 (yes a 3400 socket 939)
2x1024gb of corsair xms3200 ram, 3.3.3.8 timing
xfx 6600gt 126 mb agp gpu
msi k8t neo 2 motherboard
the psu in it atm is the one that came with the case a 420watt raidmax
the one that was in it when it broke was a ultra xconnect 500watt psu.

as you can see it is a pritty old computer, had it for like 3-4 years, i forget lol.

thanks
justin

you're absolutely sure the backup PSU is good? google for the paperclip trick to jumpstart it just to be sure.

try resetting the bios too using the jumper near the battery to see if you can at least get it to post and maybe get into bios. if you can get there, set your failsafe defaults (which should help rule out voltage issues).

random anecdote: I actually thought a psu was dead once because it wouldn't even spin up, but it turns out the momentary power switch on the case was just borked. Fix? I connected the power to the reset switch and used that from then on :)

you're absolutely sure the backup PSU is good? google for the paperclip trick to jumpstart it just to be sure.

try resetting the bios too using the jumper near the battery to see if you can at least get it to post and maybe get into bios. if you can get there, set your failsafe defaults (which should help rule out voltage issues).

random anecdote: I actually thought a psu was dead once because it wouldn't even spin up, but it turns out the momentary power switch on the case was just borked. Fix? I connected the power to the reset switch and used that from then on :)

it was working when i took it out (the other psu) and when i tried it now it just did the same thing as before, im thinking maybe a short sense it tried to work then maybe got fried and doesnt work again.

try plugging your PSU into a different wall socket? sounds like that outlet could be problematic...

1. Check your motherboard for blown capacitors. There are lots of online resources to help you differentiate between a blown cap and a good one.

2. What kind of temperatures where you reaching on your CPU? The progressive nature of your problems sounds like something was slowly failing over time and the most likely culprits here will be CPU, Motherboard, or PSU. Were you overclocking anything?

Back