Oiling a laptop fan

Taikero

Limp Gawd
Recently, one of the fans in my laptop has been much louder than usual, sounding something like a phone's vibrator. I planned to oil both fans in the laptop while it was open.

I oiled the first fan, no problem. Most fans I've oiled in the past either have a sticker covering the bearing, or a sticker and a small plastic cap. This one just had the sticker.

4439585805_efaeb234bf_o.jpg

Upon removing the sticker from the problematic fan, however, I encountered something I haven't before. This fan has a metal cap over the bearing.

4440362658_5ebdd4fbac_o.jpg

4440362674_a704a7d061_o.jpg

4439585833_cd9c1bceb2_o.jpg

The smallest units on the ruler are .5 mm. The cap is about 5.5 mm in diameter. As you can see from the scratches and the chewed up edge, I haven't been able to pry it off with an exacto knife.

Has anyone else lubricated a fan like this before? I'm wondering if I might have clearance to drill a 1 mm hole in the cap with a drill press without hitting the shaft, then simply cover it with tape.

The fan is a Toshiba MCF-J02AM05.
DC 5V
0.12A
3.0 CFM

I've found it available used at http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-29484-4460/Cooling_Fan__Dell_Inspiron_9200.html for ~$18 shipped, haven't found anywhere cheaper. That seems a little steep to me, so I may just buy one from eBay. If anyone else knows where I might source this fan, let me know. I've never purchased obscure parts like this.

I'll probably buy a replacement fan before drilling into it (if that's the only way I might salvage it) just so I'm not out of a computer.

I'm using 3-in-one multi-purpose oil as I didn't have any sewing machine oil on hand.

Last edited:
Back