Ok buying a lappy for college.

I am heading to Devry University in miramar, florida for CIS(Computer Information Systems)..

The reason why I am buying a lappy is because it's required for my coursework.
I will be taking a crapload of notes as I have a 4 year college tuition crunched into 2 1/2 years. So basically I get my bachelor's in 2 1/2 years.

Here's what my desktop is right now:

Motherboard - ASUS a7n8x-x
RAM- Pc3200 2x512 latency of 2-2-2(i think)
LCD Monitor of 17 inch. Samsung 730B with 8ms response
Geforce6600 GT OC by BFG Tech
2x40 GIG 7200RPM hard-drives(they are starting to get full of the games I play)
CD ROM...no RW.

Thats my desktop. It's currently not the best in the market. It's got only a agp slot with a agp card in it. I am looking to use it for LANs in my apartment(which will be imensely popular in my apartment). Along with a dedicated DSL line of 1.5mb a sec.

I have been looking at the DELL i9300 with the 6800go. The reason I am looking at this laptop is because I want a large screen to have all my text in one spot. I hate scrolling, I like to have everything in front of me (that's why I love huge resolutions).

The lappy has 512 ddr2 ram with a fairly quick cpu clocked at 1.8 ghz and it's mobile. So I have integrated wireless right there. Now the reason why I am looking at this computer is because if I buy a cheapy laptop, it would cost just as much to upgrade my computer to pci-express (because bf2 runs ok..but not the best i'd like it to be..)

It's configured to be 1800$ but theres a 750$ rebate bringing it to low 1200$ with tax. If I bought a lappy to be around 700-800 dollars , it would cost just as much to upgrade my current desktop to pci-express. So why not just buy a laptop and have portability, great screen and incredible graphics performance. The laptop I have configured is clocked to run bf2 demo at around 60-80 fps. Which is stellar IMO.

Remember , there are alot of school sponsored LAN parties and I will be in school for 2 years. My last year, I get a free lappy from the school, so I figure "Ok I will have the lappy for 2 years before it really ages". So I really want to not lug around my desktop and LCD monitor (uh oh) and rather just use my laptop case and still bust out the laptop if I really wanna play some games.

Any thoughts? Should I jump on this offer of saving 750$? Versus paying a couple extra hundred more to upgrade a desktop and have a kind of crappy computer.

Also please note, the school has DC outlets in the classrooms, so I will bring a stripcord into the class so battery life is not really a huge deal to me. That's why I looked at the 9300.

Please post some thoughts if you guys can :)

well, you'd do very well to intentionally gimp the gpu, like say, put an x300 in the 9300.

timtheenchantor said:
Also please note, the school has DC outlets in the classrooms, so I will bring a stripcord into the class so battery life is not really a huge deal to me. That's why I looked at the 9300.
DC outlets? You better make sure they have the right voltage available for whatever laptop you choose. Don't think that taking notes on your laptop is going to be anywhere near as good as taking them by hand, in fact laptops in the classroom IMO is a distraction and degrades education.

Ok here's a new development:
The reason I am looking at this computer is because my current desktop is 'ok' at graphics and i want to go to LANS and not lug around a tower..

the specs are of this laptop are:
GEFORCEGO6800 256mb video, 512 ram DDR2 533mhz, 1.6 ghz mobile
the benchmarks are around 50+ fps in all games tested currently..

Now. My desktop, is at this currently:
6600GT OC 128 mb video, 1 gb ram(up to 3 gb ), athlon xp 3000+ 2.2 ghz, agp motherboard (a7n8x-x)

now, this laptop is pci-express..my current motherboard is agp 8x and i am wondering, should i spend a little money and get a niceeee lappy or go for a cheaper lappy and upgrade my desktop video card

The difference in price between a decent lappy(a 1220 inspiron) and the one i have configured(the 9300 inspiron) ... is 400$.

A price for the top of the line graphics card right now for agp.. is 499$ (the x850PE)
Well question is will this laptop outperform my desktop if i upgraded my desktop's video card?

Thanks again guys. I know 400$ is a huge difference in college.

so apparently your desktop has no processor in it? what a dud, good thing you're getting laptop then!

Back