Old Celeron 400s

DamienThorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

As part of my monthly cleaning, I'm going to be getting rid of between 6 and 12 celeron 400 computers. Is it worth using these to fold on? If it is, anyone want some? I don't plan on setting them up in my place, and otherwise they're destined for some large black bin. Thanks for the answers!

Unless you get free power they aren't worth folding on, they just aren't an efficient folding/power ratio. I'm sure tehre are some here that will take the beaters off of your hands for you though.

Pull the RAM and maybe PSU's? I could use them for crapper support.

marty9876 said:

I was gonna say that you and K* will usually take something like this. You're always up for a bit more.

marty9876 said:

I can do both - each PC only has 32MB of SD100, and the PSUs are SFF 250W. If there isn't anyone wanting any of the machines I'll pull the RAM and PSUs if you want, and you pay shipping. Cool?

do you have any pictures of these? they might make a pretty cool carputer or something

DamienThorn said:
This isn't a pic of one of the dell optiplexes in my possession, but this is the same make and model: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~cparsons/dellcomp2.jpg

My high school has a lot of those exact computers. I'm part of a club that basically goes through the school and does just what you're talking about. We gut them, save RAM, hard drives, optical drives, and PSU's and chuck the rest. We're hoping to try and sell some of it, we currently have a back room completely filled with old computer parts.

Electric Boogaloo said:
My high school has a lot of those exact computers. I'm part of a club that basically goes through the school and does just what you're talking about. We gut them, save RAM, hard drives, optical drives, and PSU's and chuck the rest. We're hoping to try and sell some of it, we currently have a back room completely filled with old computer parts.

I wish you the best of luck finding someone desperate enough to purchase components that are as old as what's in those optiplexes, I think that you'll need it.

I wish you the best of luck finding someone desperate enough to purchase components that are as old as what's in those optiplexes, I think that you'll need it.
You'd be surprised what people will use. My work uses Pentium 200 systems with anywhere from 128 - 384mb of ram for the client terminals. They run Windows 2000 pro/Office 2000 decently.
Personally, I'd like to take a hammer to the lot, but why replace them if they do the job......even if only adequately?
Someone might use them.

Monkey34 said:
You'd be surprised what people will use. My work uses Pentium 200 systems with anywhere from 128 - 384mb of ram for the client terminals. They run Windows 2000 pro/Office 2000 decently.
Personally, I'd like to take a hammer to the lot, but why replace them if they do the job......even if only adequately?
Someone might use them.

I guess that I'm just really spoiled. At work we're not using anything slower than a 1.4Ghz pentium, excluding the "swap boxes" that are outfitted with the basic office software for situations where we have to temporarily take a user's computer to do work on it.

Don't do anything special for me on these. Last thing I need is more total crap... :)

I've got a line on two pallets of P3's and higher, will post what happens.

Many charities would be willing to accept them, as well. They're awfully slow for folding, but you might want to consider donating a couple. I fixed up an old celeron box and gave it to a local battered women's shelter. A charity that aims at supporting the mentally disabled would be a good candidate for an older PC that's still got a couple years worth of wordprocessing and web surfing in it. A lot of those charities that support vulnerable persons work with slim budgets and superfluous things (like an ol' crapper to learn basic computing skills) take 2nd fiddle to groceries and Just a thought for you DamienThorn.

At this point I think that I've hit up pretty well every group in the local area that is willing to a) take them and b) come and pick them up. I don't drive, so there's no way that I can deliver them to charities, and, well, let's just say that I'm on a first name basis with most of the groups in the city because of how much gets given away... :p

Back