Old dell PC as media server?

Pringals

Gawd
Work just updated all their computers and I can get a hold of one of the old ones for $20, an old Dell Optiplex GX240 (full tower version).

Pentium 4 1.8-ghz
Intel's 845 chip set
1gig PC133 SDRAM
Windows XP Professional
(Hard drive removed)

Initially, I thought I'd pop in one of my old hard drives and put in on craigslist for $50. Now I'm wondering if it would be suitable as a media server of sorts. I've yet to build my HTPC (budgeting for this fall), so for now, I'd only be loading it up with my DVD's and music.

What would you do with this?

Yeah, that'll be just fine for a server. You could even put Windows Home Server on it.

hell that will work fine, i was just a year ago, using a 933 P3 w/ 256 MBs of ram as my server. it was only a file server but that is plenty good enough to hold files. I used mine and like 3 hard drives to make a software raid with windows into one big drive, well was big, only like 750gb, but it served my purposes for about 2 years.

I am partial to Ubuntu Server... or whatever flavor or *nix you may be comfortable with.

But that would be more than enough horsepower for serving files to an HTPC. ;)
However, being a Dell... it may be difficult to get several HDDs inside of it.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it, but it looks like i have some options when i get time.

Back