Old Games That are still worth playing!

System Shock 2, the "gold" X wing and Tie Fighter Windows CD versions. I wonder if they still work on XP? Also, does XwingVsTieFighter work online still? Like could a few of us throw up a server and play on it?

Finally, any of the Dark Forces or Jedi Knight series are worth playing.

Older pc games:

Shooters-
Blood
Outlaws
Quake II
Shogo(as mentioned)

RTS-
Battle Realms
Commandos I/II
Lords of the Realm I/II
Myth I/II by bungie
Sacrifice
Stronghold (not that old)

RPG-
Baldur's gate I/II
Betrayel at Krondor
Fallout I/II
Gothic series (2nd one isn't really that old)
Lands of Lore I/II
Plancescape torment
TES series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind)
Ultima series

Adventure/action adventure-
Alone in the dark
Blade Runner
Day of the tentacle
Dark Earth
Die by the sword
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight series
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island series
Redjack: Revenge of the brethen
Rune
Sam and Max
Sanitarium
Severance: blade of darkness (aka just "blade of darkness" in the US)

Misc-
Blackthorn
Carmageddon
Skynet

Binaural said:
Giants : Citizen Kabuto :D

Gotta agree with that one. Giants singleplayer is still one of the funniest games I've ever played.

If you can get a few people to play multiplayer with over a LAN, you MUST do that too. Have a few people team up as Meccs to go against a friend playing Kabuto. You can't beat getting tossed around/stomped/chewed by a 10 story beast! :D

mdk30 said:
Gotta agree with that one. Giants singleplayer is still one of the funniest games I've ever played.

If you can get a few people to play multiplayer with over a LAN, you MUST do that too. Have a few people team up as Meccs to go against a friend playing Kabuto. You can't beat getting tossed around/stomped/chewed by a 10 story beast! :D

Just seeing your name clicked the light on. Why hasn't anyone said MDK yet?

SNES:

Zelda: A Link To The Past
Lost Vikings 2 (early Blizzard title)
Earthworm Jim 1 + 2
Zoop

IcedEmotion said:
I wish I could still play Syndicate. Need to make a DOS box I guess.

DOS Box

as for my favorites,
Star Flight
Star Control 2
X-com 1 & 2
King's Quest series
Kyrandia Series
Wing Commander series

Cretin said:
Master of Magic

old school DOS with VGA graphics.
I've had it on at least 1 system for 10 years
runs great on DOSBox

QFT

For Good Tatical Shooters
Ghost Recon + 2 Expansion Packs (Desert Siege, Thunder Island)
Operation Flashpoint: GOTY
All of the Rainbow 6s that came out before Raven Shield.

Magic Carpet 1 & 2
Full Throttle
Zork :D
Unreal (the original, and throw in the Na'Pali expansion)

There's many, many more. Magic Carpet was one that I really hoped was going to succeed commercially. It had innovative gameplay and graphics, along with some really cool multi-player action.

X_VADER_X said:
Final fantasy VII And VIII... The Best RPG games for PS1 Chronicles was alright...
Also Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, and warped... Pretty much the best platformer for PS1...

Not sure I agree with Final Fantasy VIII but then I didn't play it all the way through so I guess I shouldn't speak. Final Fantasy VII was pretty good. I plan on building a old Windows 98 box to play it again.

Also, Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan I think) and Chrono Trigger for the SNES (also on Playstation 1 or 2 I think?). Super Metroid is a must.

The Elder Scrolls : Daggerfall

That was one of THE best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Wish I still had a copy of it. Hell, I wish they would do a remake of it for that matter. It was simply amazing at its time. (Lol, 1996)

I loved Daggerfall, but was loathe to say it because, to this day, people will jump you for saying you liked it.

Complaints of buggy release and patches abounded, but I found after patching, the game ran just fine. I never understood why so many other people where having problems running it. (probably trying to run it from Win 3.1 or something :) ).

I spent many MANY hours playing that game.

I love you, Stiler, for mentioning Blood and Alone in the Dark...good stuff

I was new games in both of those series so badly

Play every big-name and medium-name SNES RPG you can get your hands on. The Lufia series especially: they're two highly underrated games that got lost in the shuffle of FF6 fan-drones.

RPG:
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate series
Final Fantasy 6

Strategy:
Age of Kings
Total Anihilation
Final Fantasy Tactics

Anything Mario, Mertroid, Zelda, or Mega Man.
There is lots of good stuff out there.

Lets see here. For PC (my only system, now and forever :))

System shock 1+2
All the old Half Life games (Opposing Force, Blue Shift)
Aliens vs Predator :)D)
Fallout
Syndicate Wars
The Elder Scrolls
Thief
Dungeon Keeper
X wing vs Tie Fighter
Grim Fandango
Total Annihilation
the Descent series
Quake 2
Warcraft 1 and 2
Command and Conquer (and Red Alert)
original Unreal Tournaments
Red Faction 1+2
Worms 1 + 2
Battlefield 1942
F-22 Lightning 3 (Combat Flight sim :))
Crimson Skies (not so good, but fun!)

Xaeos said:
System Shock 2, the "gold" X wing and Tie Fighter Windows CD versions. I wonder if they still work on XP?

Oh yeah they do. I've been playing it recently

Also, does XwingVsTieFighter work online still? Like could a few of us throw up a server and play on it?

It uses TCP/IP, so I imagine we could at that. Good thinking.

Anyway, my list:

Red Alert 2 is a must
TIE Fighter
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Mechwarrior 2
Final Fantasy 6

If you like hack N slash/dungeon crawl type RPG's, I would highly recommend Might and Magic VI-VIII. Steer clear of the horror that was IX, no matter how much you might be tempted to check it out. I mean, even if someone just gives it to you for free, DO NOT play it, it will make you sad. :(

But VI-VII = PC rpg greatness. If you only like console RPG's you might not like them, but... what console RPG lets you damage every critter on the map, including all NPC's, with a spell called "Armegeddon?" :D The M&M series is the most highly underrated RPG series imho. It had it all - action, humor, advanced tech (for its time when VI came out, at least), HUGE games (I spent 500+ hours completing all of the side quests, etc. in VI), easter eggs (you can find dungeons containing all of the developers as NPC's - how cool is that!) and a very distinct "flavor" that you just won't find anywhere else. Also, you can choose to play the game as turn-based OR real-time. In tough spots you can switch to turn-based, or if you're level 60 and you just want to slaughter a whole town switch to real-time and hit the Armeggedon shortcut key a few times lol...

First crpg I ever played was Might and Magic 1.
Although I don't think it's still worth playing ! :p

only games not mentioned in here already that i can add:
- deus ex
- x-wing alliance; x-wing vs. tie fighter wasn't as good, imho

American McGee's Alice
Commandos
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Grand Theft Auto
Descent 3
Descent: Freespace (1 & 2)
Myth
Deus Ex
Messiah
Starcraft
Warcraft
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood

WHOOOO. :D

I don't know why people obsess over X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. In my opinion, it was the weakest of the series.

If you want the BEST X-Wing game in the series, pick up X-Wing Alliance.

System Shock 2
SWAT 3
Unreal Tournament (w/ Infiltration mod)
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Deus Ex
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (w/ Urban Ops mission pack)
Ghost Recon (and all of the available mission packs)
Max Payne
Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2
Jagged Alliance 2
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Advanced Tactical Fighters

Blinkme323 said:
I might download Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, and some others. What games do you recommend? Also, I saw that some modders retexture the games to make them look better. There was a screen of OOT that looked comparable to WindWaker. Do you know anything about these.

Even without mods, you can get older games to look much better through emulation mainly through playing them at a higher resolution. Some N64 emulators also have AA and AS options. Genesis and SNES emulators also have special options to smooth games out or make them look better. I haven't been up to date with emulation for a long time but I'm sure they added more to the emulators. You can also play ps1 games through an emulator granted you have the CD.

As for old PC games-
Sacrifice
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Total Annihilation
Wardlords 3
Half Life
Tribes
Tribes 2
Command and Conquer games
Heroes of Might and Magic Series
Freespace 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Stronghold

All of these in my opinion were excellent games. There a lot of older ones I'd recommend too but they may not work on todays newer systems unless you use Dosbox.

My favs,

PC:
Wolfenstein 3D
Half-Life (add-on - Team Fortress 1.5, i still find myself playing some days...damn it is still fun!!!)
Fallout 1/2
Carmageddon (the original was by far the best)
Red Alert
KOTOR
Max Payne

Console:
Zelda (for NES)
Dragon Spirit (NES)
Mario Bros 1,2,3 and the first one for the SNES (can't remember the name...damn it!)
Jurassic Park Interactive (Panasonic 3DO....now thats obscure!!!)
Goldeneye (N64)
Wave Race (N64)
Pilot Wings (N64)
Final Fantasy 7 - (playing it for like the 5th time right now using my xbox....i can't find my PSX controllers ) :D

thats all i can think of off the top of my head....

I just found my old copy of X-Wing Alliance including the original large instruction manual and fold-out reference card. Got the patch from Lucas too!
Going to install on XP in a moment. Hope it plays good.
ps,
Found Rouge Squadron, Phantom Menace, Infernal Machine, X-wing, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and the Collectors Edition version with Flight School, Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, and more :)

My favorite Action/RPG on a console:

Secret of Mana

My favorite Action/RPG on PC:

Deus Ex

Heh, both of these games, in my opinion, have the best/most addicting story lines ever created so far for each respective system.

Now all I have to say is....

I'M STILL WAITING FOR SEQUELS FOR BOTH THESE GAMES! HURRY UP AND MAKE SEQUELS!!! :mad: :p

(and no, Deus Ex: Invisible War doesn't count, it blew)

Back