Old HTPC having hard drive problems

UT-Jackal

Limp Gawd
I upgraded my gaming computer (it was long over due) and so i then had my 4 year old computer left with nothing to do. So i upped it to 2 gigs of ram, and threw vista ultimate on it. Reason i put vista on such a dinosaur is because i wanted the media center, and i already had a copy of vista. My xp was only professional without media center. Either way, getting to my problem.

Bought a 500gb WD green hard drive, and i've yet to be able to see it on the computer whenever it actually does load up. I know it does work because i formatted it on my new computer and it works fine. And half the time when i go to turn it on, it gets me to the log in and then freezes once it starts to load windows. Any clue why this is? This whole box has been giving me trouble ever since i threw vista on it because it doesn't seem the drivers have been updated for vista. My USB's don't work, the sata raid tool doesn't work, etc. But my other sata drive (320gb) worked fine on it in vista.

Bout to throw xp on this thing and use it for who knows what and just get a new rig for my htpc!

Thanks

what are the specs of the htpc having the problems? i assume you loaded all the motherboard drivers, made sure your bios version is ok support wise (the 500gb hd) and make sure the jumpers are set properly on the hd if there are any.

i'd run a chkdsk /r on the drive to be sure its ok. Other than that, I agree with the post before mine.

Back