old ibook g4 problems

Honzo

n00b
my friend came to me with his g4 ibook and his problem is it works fine, but anytime you nudge it a little bit, it freezes. He told me this happened after his mom dropped it, so i'm guessing the hard drive needs to be replaced. If this is not the case, please tell me. If it IS the case, any ideas how I would go about replacing the hard drive? any tutorials for disassembling it?

IDK what could be wrong...but I'm gonna throw out the possibility that the shock sensor is fubared and is thinking that nudge is a drop, and parking the HDD head and cutting power to it, in order to save it...thus causing the lockup.

nice theory, 1 problem. This lap top is before the days of the shock sensor.

Honzo said:
nice theory, 1 problem. This lap top is before the days of the shock sensor.
hmph..that makes it seem very weird then....maybe you were right? bad HDD...

I just don't want him to buy a new hd and for me to slap it into his computer and have it be no different.

I really doubt it's the hard drive. Probably something on the logic board getting shorted.

Thats not the HD. sounds like a soldier joint was snapped when she dropped it and when it is nudged, that soldier joint disconnects and the machine locks up. I'm going to guess that when its resting still it barely sits where it should and allows the machine to boot and run.

do you mean solder points? As it where the wires are connected to the board with melted tin? If so, thats quite a possibility, and I could check that out too... Thanks!

Honzo said:
do you mean solder points? As it where the wires are connected to the board with melted tin? If so, thats quite a possibility, and I could check that out too... Thanks!
Kinda... but Im not not talking about wires, Im talking about the places were the little IC's are solidered to the mainboard, youlre gonna need some very good surface solidering skills to get the part back on if that is the problem.

Back