Old Laptop Screen Project

clickclickw00t

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I have this really raelyl old laptop.
It's a Compaq Contura or some crap like that. I really have no use for it unless someone wants to buy it.

The screen is like almost black and white but has SOME color to it.

I was wondering if there is any way for me to dismantle it, and use the LCD for a mini secondary display for my computer.
P1010148.jpg

P1010146.jpg

P1010145.jpg

Wow. That blows.

Any shorthand way of doiong it without a controller?

Also, do you know how much I could get for this. The battery holds NO charge.

clickclickw00t said:
Wow. That blows.

Not that I know of, and maybe $50?

clickclickw00t said:
Wow. That blows.

Any way you go, you're going to need a controller to drive the lcd, whether you build the controller yourself or buy one. Building one will (obviously) be much more involved than buying one, and will probably cost just as much(if not more) than buying a controller. I know it sucks, but unfortunately that's just how it is.

However, if the computer portion of it still works, and it has network connectivity(most likely through a pcmcia card, since I doubt a computer that old has builtin ethernet), then you might be able to do something semi-useful with it. It wouldn't be the same as having it as a second monitor, but it might be handy.

jpmkm said:
Any way you go, you're going to need a controller to drive the lcd, whether you build the controller yourself or buy one. Building one will (obviously) be much more involved than buying one, and will probably cost just as much(if not more) than buying a controller. I know it sucks, but unfortunately that's just how it is.

However, if the computer portion of it still works, and it has network connectivity(most likely through a pcmcia card, since I doubt a computer that old has builtin ethernet), then you might be able to do something semi-useful with it. It wouldn't be the same as having it as a second monitor, but it might be handy.

How can I put this thing to good use?

4MB of Ram and Windows 3.1 Aint really gonna do that much.

You could fold for the [H]orde...really...really....really slowly. ;)
No, honestly, I'm not sure what I'd put something like that to use for. I've never personally tried to part out a laptop. g'luck

i would install unix on it and play with security, turn it into a router.

I've looked into using old P2-era laptop LCDs as secondary monitors for various projects, and I've found that when you figure in the cost of the controller/converter, vs. the size/capabilities of the LCD.... It's cheaper to buy a new, small LCD at <$150, which is pretty easy to find these days.

Just my .02, hope you find something to do with it.

Personally, I shoot computer components that old. They make better targets than tools, and laptops break up real nice. :D

clickclickw00t said:
Wow. That blows.

laptops like this hold value to people on car message boards like ls1.com ls1tech.com lsall.com and horsepowertalk.com they use them to run a dos program called auto-tap and are always looking for cheap laptops that work but are shall we say a few years out of date.

Back