Old overclock needs new trick advice

Tanis143

Gawd
Ok, I started overclocking back when it was simple, crank up the FSB and multiplier and maybe tweak the vcore. Had a Barton 2500+ stable at 2.2 ghz for 3 years. But, newer games finally pushed a full system overhaul. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD64 X2 4000 @ 2.4 (230 x 10.5)
RAM: G.Skill DDR2 800 2 gig (1gig x 2)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3
VID: XFX 8600GT
PSU: Corsair VX550

Ok, now here is my questions. If I adjust the FSB does it affect the FSB for the ram as well? Meaning, right now I have it at 230 (mild overclock, but testing the waters right now) does it push the memory FSB up as well or does the CPU keep the memory at 400? I didn't see a FSB lock for the memory like there was in my previous mobo, but not sure how that affects the ram since AMD puts the memory controller on chip now. I hoping to get a good 266 FSB on this without having to mess with the vcore, but dont want to push the memory.

Yes, the FSB ( or HT in AMD speak ) does affect the memory speed since the memory controller is on the CPU and defaults to 1 : 1 with the processor.
With your system, I would recommend setting the memory back to 667Mhz, that way it would reach default speed at about 250Mhz HTT which would only give you about a 16Mhz OC at a 266 HTT.

Hrm, I didn't see a section in my BIOS to adjust the memory, in fact now I notice I have no where to even adjust my memory timings. So, that will limit how much I can do a FSB overclock......

Egads, wish I had noticed this before I bought this mobo. Until now I've been really pleased with it..... oh well.

While you're in the bios, try hitting "Alt/F1" and see if it brings up another page ! Without the quotes of coarse ! :)

Back