Old Raptor vs. New Raptor?

Azhreal

Limp Gawd
I got a WD Raptor 10k sata drive the first month they came out which I can't recall how far back it was, but I was wondering if getting another one today would be different then the drive I currently have. I want to set up a Raid-0 and don't want to end up having to scrap this drive and get 2 more or having to return it.

i believe they first came out in june 03 but i wouldn't think that there would be any issues since they are manufactured the same.

There are three main differences from what I can tell:

1. The new drive is 69754 cylinders (35.999gb) and the old is 71730 cylinders (37.019gb)
2. The new drive is much quieter - the seek noise is still like thunder, but there is very little rotational noise (the "whine" is gone)
3. The new drive performs slightly better, I can't recall exactly why.

As far as Raid0, you will have no problems. You will have an array of roughly 71.988gb (2x the smallest size) and performance will be based on the lower of the two drives (the older), which is only slightly slower than the newer one.

Ah thanks for that. I think I will cancel my 74 Raptor and get a 36 gig myself. Had 2x36 Raptors before and they where so loud I switched to one 74 RAPTOR.

I don't notice any noise in my case... probably because of the 4 case fans and the 92mm cpu fan. As for numbers.. I get 8.7ms seek and 50MB/s average read using the latest hdtach. My friend has two 36gb raptors in raid-0 and says he gets around 80MB/s average read and he just bought his recently. What I'm trying to do is increase my write performance because running Fraps to record ingame video of World of Warcraft drops me to 20fps. He has a comparable system and says he can't even notice when he records at all. I hate to blow $117 and have it not give me the performance I'm looking for.. so with that in mind do you think that I will not get the hinderance I currently get? Both systems are athlon 64's, gig of ram, but i have a 6800 and he has a geforce 2... so I should be the one with no lag... it's obviously not video. A 2 minute fraps video is around 3gb, so I would think write performance is a HUGE factor in lag while recording.

Yeah that is for sure. Remember what pisspoor performance I got in UT2004 when I happened to start a recording by misstake. I don´t remember but I think I was on 2x36 Raptors by then but it was at max detail levels at 1600x1200 on my sig. However I got around 40-50 fps when not recording so.

But the thing is with a Geforce 2 he may not run with much aa and aniso and other stuff so his videos may be much smaller in size??? That is a theory anyway.

When recording video I wouldn't think framerate would drop because of video or anything going on. If anything it may use more cpu cycles and TONS of hd writing but I can't see why any other resources would be used.

Well my friend is using dual raptors and our systems are the same... yet he sees no lag at all running fraps. If I drop to 1280 res and lower some settings to match his and I still get some lag, the raid0 will be the only thing different in the systems. I want to order one but you put doubt in me that it will help at all :(

Are you sure he has no fps drop? It sounds impossible really if you record using fraps.

He may have a drop, but he says he can't notice when he's recording or not. Maybe he just always lags? lol.. no really I don't know, he claims he can't tell so that's all I have to go by. I can tell 20fps... if he can't then something is wrong. Still not sure if raid0 will give me the help i need.

Back