OLED News?

zaiLex

n00b
Any news on OLED, when will OLED computer displays come to the market?

Haha, that looked like Old news when I first saw it, then i though you were making some witty joke... but then i got inside and it was just serious,... ;) I haven't seen anything new about OLED, but i am definately interested.

Looks like SED will be the next new display technology to make it to the market. Toshiba's bringing pilot production online this month and hopefully out in volume early next year. But it doesn't sound like the tech will make it's way to computer displays any time soon.

I wouldn't expect computer/TV OLED displays to enter massproduction until somewhere around 2008.

Like The_Incubator said, we'll probably see SED displays appear in volume before OLED.

The_Incubator said:
Looks like SED will be the next new display technology to make it to the market. Toshiba's bringing pilot production online this month and hopefully out in volume early next year. But it doesn't sound like the tech will make it's way to computer displays any time soon.

Nick

god sed would be sex on computer monitors

If SED takes off..LCDs are DEAD for computer displays. SED easily outpeforms LCD but the bigger thing is that it shows that production costs will be much less within a few years. That is why phone makers are excited about it...cheaper LCD but with the brightness and response of OLED.

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
If SED takes off..LCDs are DEAD for computer displays. SED easily outpeforms LCD but the bigger thing is that it shows that production costs will be much less within a few years. That is why phone makers are excited about it...cheaper LCD but with the brightness and response of OLED.

-tReP

It's better than LCD in more terms than just brightness and response. It has none of the drawbacks of plasma or LCD and all of the pluses.

An SED is basically just a CRT in a smaller package. It also doesn't scan like a CRT.

It's better than LCD in more terms than just brightness and response. It has none of the drawbacks of plasma or LCD and all of the pluses.

An SED is basically just a CRT in a smaller package. It also doesn't scan like a CRT.

Great. Wonderfull. Looks like the perfect screen.

So where, and when can we buy one?

I've been following this for years, all I can say is until someone markets a working full size screen I won't believe it's anything more than a way to part investors from their money.

Advil said:
Great. Wonderfull. Looks like the perfect screen.

So where, and when can we buy one?

I've been following this for years, all I can say is until someone markets a working full size screen I won't believe it's anything more than a way to part investors from their money.
http://thetechsage.com/techsage/archive/2005/01/11/278.aspx
[..]Canon and Toshiba's joint venture, SED Inc. of Japan - formed in the late 1990s, will be producing SED televisions in August of this year.
SED displays should become available for sale end 2005, early 2006.

Earthworm48 said:
Are there going to be decent priced monitors soon then? Or is it just large screen TVs for ages.

At these resolutions, it's kinda pointless to have small displays unless you are sitting right on top of them.

Earthworm48 said:
Are there going to be decent priced monitors soon then? Or is it just large screen TVs for ages.
The displays being produced this year and at least most of next year will be 50+" TVs. Smaller displays aren't that profitable right now, so until they manage to get out most of their investments in this new technology, we can only wait.

SEDs are not much more of a threat to LCDs than plasmas are. OLEDs are a different matter, but they have been 'just around the corner' for some while now. Meanwhile LCDs will continue to improve and drop in price...

cccc said:
SEDs are not much more of a threat to LCDs than plasmas are. OLEDs are a different matter, but they have been 'just around the corner' for some while now. Meanwhile LCDs will continue to improve and drop in price...

SEDs are going to kick the crap out of LCDs. Plasma is already there for the larger displays in every area but absolute resolution.

cccc said:

OLED is a dead technology for moitors and tvs. It will stick around in small screens, phones, pdas and such. but i doubt you will ever be able to buy a oled computer monitor. SED has lcd, and for that matter oled beat in every way except price at this point, and thats onyl a matter of time. It has better color reproduction, better contrast, brightness, speed. It's the ultimate joining of CRT and lcd tech.

jkr266 said:
OLED is a dead technology for moitors and tvs. It will stick around in small screens, phones, pdas and such. but i doubt you will ever be able to buy a oled computer monitor. SED has lcd, and for that matter oled beat in every way except price at this point, and thats onyl a matter of time. It has better color reproduction, better contrast, brightness, speed. It's the ultimate joining of CRT and lcd tech.
While I wouldn't call OLED a 'dead technology' yet, I further do agree with this post.

I guess that SED will not be as capable at showing different resolutions as CRT is. But hopefully we will get better interpolation software in the future anyway or that everything will be HD so we won't need interpolation. :)

woel said:
I guess that SED will not be as capable at showing different resolutions as CRT is. But hopefully we will get better interpolation software in the future anyway or that everything will be HD so we won't need interpolation. :)
I don't see why SED would be any less capable than CRT? It seems to me that all SED is is lots of small fancy CRT's put together. Seems like a simple solution to me, and since it's roots are firmly planted in CRT's, I wouldn't think it would take very long for prices of SED's to become reasonable.

TehQuick said:
Personally, I dont like the idea of million tiny guns shooting electrons at me :D
You would prefer one big one? :p

I want to see the difference between O-LED and SED (visual quality wise)

jebo_4jc said:
I don't see why SED would be any less capable than CRT? It seems to me that all SED is is lots of small fancy CRT's put together.
The point is that in a CRT the three electron emitters scan the entire front of the display many times a second, whereas in an SED display these emitters appear to be fixed, always aimed at a single part of the front. CRTs are capable of such a wide range of resolutions due to this scanning principle, with only the dot-pitch (of the phosphor layer) standing in the way of reaching ridiculous resolutions :)

Then again, the same phosphor layer does offer its own form of 'anti-aliasing', so in the worst case it shouldn't look as eye-bleeding bad as with cheaper TFTs.
Seems like a simple solution to me, and since it's roots are firmly planted in CRT's, I wouldn't think it would take very long for prices of SED's to become reasonable.
It'll all come down to whether enough displays are produced, whether they're marketed in a proper manner, and enough demand is generated.

Fortunately, SED Inc.'s first target appears to be the 50+" Home Theater display market, which is where the most people knowledgeable about (display) technologies reside, so if the price and marketing are done right, SED should take this market by storm, which would result in increased production capacity, which will spill over to lower profit markets.

Back