?? on types of DDR3

rage4order

Gawd
Ok, I've got a few questions here. First off, what's the difference between these types of DDR3 1333- PC3 10600, PC3 10660, and PC3 10666? Second, I'm looking at this memory for a new build- G.Skill DDR3 and if you look at the first review, under "other thoughts" it says this- "Remember, if you're using a 32-bit OS, you won't get to us all four gigs of this RAM. You'll need to step up to 64-bit for that." Is that true? Finally, the motherboard I'm buying says it supports DDR3 1666(OC)/1333/1066, yet I don't see any 1666 anywhere, and is that G.Skill I linked above compatible with this board?
BTW, I'm looking to put this into a Gigabyte MA770T- UD3P mobo w/a Phenom II X2 550.

That G.Skill memory looks fine. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the PC3-xxxxx specs, but I'm sure somebody else does.

A 32-bit OS is limited to 2^32 bits of address space, or about 4 GB. In practice the maximum amount of RAM you can "see" in a 32-bit OS is around 3-3.5 GB, depending on how much address space your other devices like video cards end up using. A 64-bit OS can theoretically address up to 2^64 bits, eliminating the issue.

Basically, yes, you'll want to use 64-bit Vista or 7 so you can utilize all your RAM.

That G.Skill memory looks fine. I honestly don't know what the difference is between the PC3-xxxxx specs, but I'm sure somebody else does.

A 32-bit OS is limited to 2^32 bits of address space, or about 4 GB. In practice the maximum amount of RAM you can "see" in a 32-bit OS is around 3-3.5 GB, depending on how much address space your other devices like video cards end up using. A 64-bit OS can theoretically address up to 2^64 bits, eliminating the issue.

Basically, yes, you'll want to use 64-bit Vista or 7 so you can utilize all your RAM.
So then a 32 bit OS works in multiples of ??? I ask, because if I want to get more RAM, what would be the best amount/size?

Last edited:
So then a 32 bit OS works in multiples of ??? I ask, because if I want to get more RAM, what would be the best amount/size?

If you're getting a new computer, there's not really a point in doing 32bit, especially if you plan on actually using all that RAM.

Generally you don't want to mix and match RAM either. It will probably work, but it's not worth the hassle or potential problems. If you want more RAM, just get the same kind. If your board supports 1666 (never heard of that?), just get 2x2gb of 1600mhz. The kit you listed is fine as well, I don't think the price is much different for the faster stuff though. You'll be hard pressed to find a noticeable difference between 1333 and 1600mhz.

Back