onboard audio nForce 3 250 neo plat problem.

Cr@zZy

Limp Gawd
Here's the problem I'm having. Everything works great but the onboard sound.

I can't hear any windows sounds. I can play WMA's and mp3's in windows media player only, no other media player will play them. Winamp 5 comes in as static no matter what I play. I can hear the farcry introduction sounds, but no actual sounds when I am in-game play.

Moreover, I am using the logitech z-640 5.1 speakers, and only the rear two speakers and the subwoofer will make noise, even though I have all settings set to 5.1 channel in my sounds properties settings. If I plug in the front into the rear sockets, they will make sound acting as the rear speakers. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked all cables going to the right area on the back of my motherboard. onboard audio is enabled in my BIOS.

I have installed every(updated) driver for the motherboard, and the updated sound driver for the onboard audio.

I am using the Realtek AC97 audio drivers

I have checked every single tab, and option in sounds and divices, nothing is on mute, and all file extentions in winamp are checked to work properly.

I have built 4 systems before, so I am not new to getting drivers/devices working.
Is there something wrong with this boards built in audio??

my new system:

AMD athalon 64 3400+
MSI K8N neo plat nForce 3 250GB
Sapphire ATI Radion x800 pro 256kb graphics
western digital 80GB 7200rpm SCSI HD (8mb buffer)
1 gig of crosair DDR 400 (2x512)
samsung 710n 17' flat panel

Huh, sounds a bit like something got screwed up during install.

You might want to consider uninstalling every audio related driver (in Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager, as I'm sure you knew), then reinstalling the newest Realtek driver. I'd tell you to triple check your speaker connections since the onboard CODEC is the 7.1 model, but I guess you've got that covered.

Athlon is spelled with only a single "a" by the way ;)
Oh, and Western Digital doesn't make SCSI drives, and you have understated the amount of RAM on your video card by a factor of either 1000 or 8000, depending on whether that's supposed to be kilobits or kilobytes :)

leukotriene said:
Huh, sounds a bit like something got screwed up during install.

You might want to consider uninstalling every audio related driver (in Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager, as I'm sure you knew), then reinstalling the newest Realtek driver. I'd tell you to triple check your speaker connections since the onboard CODEC is the 7.1 model, but I guess you've got that covered.

Athlon is spelled with only a single "a" by the way ;)
Oh, and Western Digital doesn't make SCSI drives, and you have understated the amount of RAM on your video card by a factor of either 1000 or 8000, depending on whether that's supposed to be kilobits or kilobytes :)

This was written in a hurry sorry, it's an SATA hard drive. and I have uninstalled, and reinstalled everything twice.

That's unfortunate. Have you tried flashing to the newest BIOS for the board?

You might also want to e-mail MSI tech support and check out the PCPerspective MSI forum.

have you tried the nvidia mixer and nvidia sound driver?
I got to work:

- first un-installed the realteck drivers, rebooted
- I went to my Nvidia folder, I am using 5.03 package, found the folder AudioUtl and run setup
- then I went to add new hardware wizard from control panel (classic view)
- select that you have already connected the device
- choose a new hardware device
- install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advance)
- choose, video and game controllers
- choose "Have Disk"
- browse to the folder AudioDrv select nvmcp
- will give you warnings ok them
- run vnmixer there it's !
- after reboot you will the nvmixer icon on your system tray!

It works much better than the realteck sound manager

Back