Once and for all - Input leg, how bad is it ?!

ead

Limp Gawd
I always hear people say that this X has 30 MS leg, and this one has 50 and so on
So
What does it all mean on the real life experience? and how does it effect the use of the screen ?
And, is it really that noticeable when playing games or watching videos and so on?

I know it's not the definitive answer that you were looking for but my understanding is that input lag is somewhat subjective. Each person is different in what he/she might be able to perceive and/or be bothered by.

See here for more information regarding input lag in general.

Also see the section labeled "Input Lag" in this review of the Dell 2408WFP.

ead, it's 'Input lag' not 'Input leg'! :D

And the way it affects you in real life is the mouse just feeling generally unresponsive, and sluggish. My 2405fpw has this affect massively, and it's very annoying. Atm I'm using a monitor with around 2 frames of lag (33ms) and it feels absolutely fine, so I have a threshold of around 40-50ms or so.

Games are most affected, but I find the desktop actually the most annoying place to have lag, as clicking things is just not as easy as it should be. Videos aren't affected really unless you can notice the sound coming 50ms before the video (nigh on impossible).

And that Xbit labs site talks a load of rubbish about brain impulses and finding it hard to click things on a large monitor. A good wired laser mouse + no input lag makes it very easy to click on anything at a res of 2560x1600 even. He just doesn't want to believe that input lag exists (neither did I).

I really don't find it to be a problem unless there's a screen with less lag, ie. crt, right next to the monitor. However if you game competitively online in FPS' any lag is unacceptable. I've got a 2707 which is has moderate to high lag, 30-45ms, I find it games fine until you start playing against people with CRTs and fast TNs. Even if you are equally skilled or even a bit better it's almost a certainty that you're going to lose. Sure you still win games and play well, but you could be that much better. It depends on what kind of gamer you are, the one that has fun or the one that wants to absolutely have every advantage to win. For desktop applications and other games it's not really an issue.

I find connecting my Wii to any LCD provides a perfect example of how much input lag I can stand. Load up a game like Metroid Prime 3, or, if you REALLY want a test, try Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. If there's any monitor lag, you'll be quick to notice it there, and it'll definitely hurt your performance.

As a moderate gamer, I wont even consider medium-to-high-lag screens; they're just not worth it. Whether I notice it (like with the Wii) or not (such as with the 360 or PS3, or any analog-stick-using setup), it'll be affecting me, and that's just not something that I'm willing to deal with in a product that I'm spending hundreds of dollars on.

That said, outside of gaming or any similarly demanding task, I see no large issue with moderate input lag. Normal internet browsing and such should be just fine.

Well, I had a Samsung 215TW before and I can tell you I most definitely did, even in Windows. To tell you the truth I don't notice it now but I know it's only because I don't have a lag free screen onhand. I used to have the 215TW setup next to a Viewsonic VP930b which was pretty much lag free and the difference was stunning. I remember when I first got this monitor I'd put it somewhere in between the two. Yeah it's there but it's not enough to turn me off the monitor or to make it bothersome.

Back