One computer, two rooms, what to do?

CoRPS

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, as the topic states. I'm about to spend quite a bit of money on a new PC. However, I want to be able to use this computer in 2 seperate rooms. I am able to drill holes in walls, so if it needs to be done, I can do it.

I was thinking just going with Bluetooth devices (mouse and keybaord) and drilling a hole in the wall and run either S-Video (probably best, smallest) or VGA through the wall. What do you guys think?

Note: Not really sure if this would be the correct subforum.

laptop

I guess if it were me...
I'd split the video out (DVI prefered since it's better for high rez, but SVGA would work too), put a monitor in each room, use a keyboard mouse setup in one room and try a wireless set in the other. More than likely, you'll probably need to run a USB cable with the monitor cable though. Hell I would for sure, just so you could hook up items as needed

You should build the first ever custom turntable integrated into your wall so you can just swivel the computer around to the room you are in........

What are you going to do about the monitor situation?

Well, I plan on having the computer in the room with a 17" LCD. The second room will be my living room with the computer connected to my projector.

Well, I plan on having the computer in the room with a 17" LCD. The second room will be my living room with the computer connected to my projector.
to save from having too many problems

I would split the video and run a resolution compatible for both output screens.
If you have to switch shit around, you'll just get annoyed and/or forget to do something to switch it back when in the opposite room.

to save from having too many problems

I would split the video and run a resolution compatible for both output screens.
If you have to switch shit around, you'll just get annoyed and/or forget to do something to switch it back when in the opposite room.

Actually, the resolution on the projector is pretty bad. It's only 480p and will only be used to play games. Not to surf around on the internet or anything.

I don't want to physically have to move anything when I'm switching rooms, except maybe mouse and keyboard.

Have the computer next to the wall, have USB keyboards and mice and dual monitor support for the computer. I think this is something you want, but I'm so confused as to why you want to do this :confused:

I want to play WoW on my projector, basically. It's in my living room, and for the most part I want to use my PC on a desk like normal people, but.. When I play WoW I want it to be on my Projector. 100" viewable!

You should build the first ever custom turntable integrated into your wall so you can just swivel the computer around to the room you are in........
You know, this is the exact thing I first thought of when I read the Thread title.;)

I want to play WoW on my projector, basically. It's in my living room, and for the most part I want to use my PC on a desk like normal people, but.. When I play WoW I want it to be on my Projector. 100" viewable!

With how much time the average person spends playing wow...you'll be changing bulbs every 3 weeks. It would be cheaper to buy the 37" Westy LCD and sit 10 inches away from it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was no going to post this, but I keep looking and not finding it. There used to be something like this for windows. it would support 2 diffrent sets of keyboards and monitors, but would be 2 totaly diffrent sessions. I cant find the software/hardware anymore.

Other than that I would get a wallplate that you can have USB and a VGA port and pipe it through the wall.. a little USB hub would preovent you from having to run more than 1 USB.

Well, as the topic states. I'm about to spend quite a bit of money on a new PC. However, I want to be able to use this computer in 2 separate rooms. I am able to drill holes in walls, so if it needs to be done, I can do it.

I was thinking just going with Bluetooth devices (mouse and keyboard) and drilling a hole in the wall and run either S-Video (probably best, smallest) or VGA through the wall. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you already got it figured out to me ;) Bluetooth keyboard is an excellent idea. Whether or not to get 2 sets is up to you but one set would be fine also, you'd just need to move it every time you go to the other room.
I don't think you need to do much else if the computer is staying stationary and you've got two displays. Just gotta figure out a way to run the video wire to the projector. I would stick to its VGA connection if it has one. Resolution may be a problem, but you can always use some of the software that comes with video card drivers to switch resolutions on the fly.

Actually now that i think about it, what about sound?

Sounds like you already got it figured out to me ;) Bluetooth keyboard is an excellent idea. Whether or not to get 2 sets is up to you but one set would be fine also, you'd just need to move it every time you go to the other room.
I don't think you need to do much else if the computer is staying stationary and you've got two displays. Just gotta figure out a way to run the video wire to the projector. I would stick to its VGA connection if it has one. Resolution may be a problem, but you can always use some of the software that comes with video card drivers to switch resolutions on the fly.

Actually now that i think about it, what about sound?

For sound I'm going to have to wire some Y adapters or something. right now in the living room I have some logitech 5.1 speakers. I plan on keeping those in there unless I get something nicer. But you bring up a good point. I don't want to drill too many holes, but I guess when I move I can always just add some putty and paint.

The video will probably end up staying at S-Video or Composite. It has a M1DA-DVI (or whatever the fuck) but.. the whole in the wall will have to be pretty big to fit a DVI head through it :O Then again, i guess I could just cut and then splice once through the wall, although if the innards aren't color coded I don't know what I would do.

Actually, the resolution on the projector is pretty bad. It's only 480p and will only be used to play games. Not to surf around on the internet or anything.

480p..i believe the lowest resolution you can use in WoW is 800x600.. that poses a problem doesnt it? even if your projector is able to accept the resolution and downscales it to 480p the game probably wont look that great.. sure 50" is big.. but imagine how much physical space your chat window will take up :eek:

if you do go through with doing this.. use vga, itll look better..

This isnt too hard assuming your projector isnt gimp for res, because yes, WoW wont look good on it. Easiest is just to run the second output (this being the projector) as a mirror of the primary screen, and just turn off the monitor in room A. Projector on in room B, but.. this would require the same res (I think). Keyboard and mouse can be easy as wireless, or if you have two sets of usb/regular mice/keyboards, plug them all in, and just use whatever your sitting at.

480p..i believe the lowest resolution you can use in WoW is 800x600.. that poses a problem doesnt it? even if your projector is able to accept the resolution and downscales it to 480p the game probably wont look that great.. sure 50" is big.. but imagine how much physical space your chat window will take up :eek:

if you do go through with doing this.. use vga, itll look better..

I'll just go windowed mode and size it on my projector. I haven't seen WoW on it yet, but I know Xbox 360 and it's games look fantastic, as does DVD movies and basically everything else I've used on it thus far.

Edit: And it's actually 100 inches :eek:

I'll just go windowed mode and size it on my projector. I haven't seen WoW on it yet, but I know Xbox 360 and it's games look fantastic, as does DVD movies and basically everything else I've used on it thus far.

Edit: And it's actually 100 inches :eek:

100" - Excuse me :eek:

Perhaps you should bring a PC/Laptop into the room just to test out WoW on the projector. That way if you don't like it you won't have unnecessary holes in the wall.

If you do go through with this, best of luck and be sure to post lots of pictures of the final project! :cool:

Back