One Day Only (24 Mar 09) -- Dell Mini 9 - $199

How easy is it to throw XP/Win7 on these? Driver support native in either OS? If easy Windows install, good replacement for my original EEEpc

not a bad deal, you can get it with 1GB of ram, 16GB HD and XP home for 399

Hasn't this "one" day deal happened a couple times before, wondering what the chances of it coming back again. That 8gb ssd sounds nice though since most i looked at in this ranger were 4gbssd.

Hasn't this "one" day deal happened a couple times before, wondering what the chances of it coming back again. That 8gb ssd sounds nice though since most i looked at in this ranger were 4gbssd.

Yeah, they've done it at least once before that I am aware of. It will probably return eventually.

I bought one of these the beginning of the month when they were on sale for $199 and just receieved it a few days ago. I didn't order any upgrades through Dell because they were to expensive. I purchased a 32GB SSD , model # CT923475 from Crucial for $80 and a 2GB memory stick for $20. The same upgrades through Dell would have been $175. Doing it that way I still have the original 4GB SSD and 512MB memory module.

Dell supplied two DVDs with the Mini 9. One is the Ubuntu restore DVD with their tweaked version of Ubuntu 8.04. The other DVD has the Dell diagnostic programs on it. I was able to use the restore DVD to install Ubuntu on the new 32GB SSD. The diagnostics can be run directly from the DVD without installing them to the new SSD.

I tried installing Win 7 on the Dell Mini but it ran like crap, so I went back to Ubuntu. I built a small computer based on an Intell Atom 330 dual core CPU and Win 7 runs fine on that. I don't think you can run a regular version of Windows on these single core Atom 270 CPUs. I think only stripped versions will work well. YMMV

Windows 7 runs fine on my 1000HE... which has a Atom280 from what I remember...

Dell Mini 9 + OSX is pure bliss

How easy is it to load OSX on this netbook? I would get it if it's easy...

Do all of the drivers work? Wireless, sound, etc...?

Do you guys think this is a good deal? For about $250 you can get an Asus 901 with 6hr battery life.

How easy is it to load OSX on this netbook? I would get it if it's easy...

Do all of the drivers work? Wireless, sound, etc...?

Do you guys think this is a good deal? For about $250 you can get an Asus 901 with 6hr battery life.

Pretty easy if you can follow instructions, it's well-documented at least. OSX is one of the main draws of the laptop - and yeah, everything works (video, LAN, 802.11, webcam, bluetooth, etc).

8gb can be installed, but it wants more space to do the updates.

Thanks.

I just cant get over the deal with the Asus 901 which can be had for $250 with a 20Gig SSD, bluetooth, camera, etc...

Anyone know if it's easy to get osx on 1000he?

I tried installing Win 7 on the Dell Mini but it ran like crap, so I went back to Ubuntu. I built a small computer based on an Intell Atom 330 dual core CPU and Win 7 runs fine on that. I don't think you can run a regular version of Windows on these single core Atom 270 CPUs. I think only stripped versions will work well. YMMV
A buddy installed Win7 on his Acer netbook with an Atom 270 and he said it ran great. Personally I'd prefer the Ubuntu installation, but then again I run Ubuntu on most of my machines including my Sony VAIO laptop.

The SSD in the system is plenty fast. No complaints here.

Yeah - it's fast enough for regular use. It's pretty slow on writes, but in practice you only really notice it when installing something, which isn't that often if you've got only 8GB. :D

I bought one of these last time at the $199, and upgraded to the 32gb and ordered 2gb ram, got it all for $360 shipped from dell.

I installed OSX on this thing, and it runs awesome.. it's no mac pro, but it is plenty fast for what you would use a mini computer for. I couldnt be happier

Mine is in, nice little unit! Just ordered 2 gig of brand name ram from the egg for $18.99 shipped!

Last edited:
Augh. I'm fighting myself in whether I want one or not.

The best SSD from them is 16GB. Is it easy to get 32 or 64GB?

Back