One large or two small PSUs

sgrinavi

Fully [H]
For a 8 gpu build is it better to go with a single, large, PSU and fiddle with the cables or would you go with a 450/500 for the board/drives and 750-1000 for the GPU's

If you go with the (2) PSUs are the power breakout board compatible with the 24 pin ATX or is there another adapter involved? I keep seeing "HP power supply compatible" Or do I just get a HP PSU?

thanks

This depends on a few things:

- Do you mind just jumpering the green wire to ground on the motherboard connector of one of your PSU's? Or do you want the convenience of everything turning on at once with the breakout board.
- Are the high wattage PSU's even available at decent prices? Or do you need to get two smaller ones anyway?
- Are you packing everything in a small space? Or are a couple of PSU's not a space concern?

This depends on a few things:

- Do you mind just jumpering the green wire to ground on the motherboard connector of one of your PSU's? Or do you want the convenience of everything turning on at once with the breakout board.
- Are the high wattage PSU's even available at decent prices? Or do you need to get two smaller ones anyway?
- Are you packing everything in a small space? Or are a couple of PSU's not a space concern?

I don't need everything to turn on at once, although it would be nice
You can find 1200 watt PSUs in the $210-220 range, is that reasonable?
Rack system, so plenty of room

EDIT

does this work? https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Exw...16042642&sr=1-2&keywords=multiple+psu+adapter

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
make sure you go gold PSU's if you choose a single PSU. well go gold anyway.

I commonly go weaker for the risers + MoBO and stronger for PSU's

Reactions: yowen
like this
Keep in mind that right around the 750-850W range is where you start to get 6+ 6+2-pin PCI-E cables.

And if you're at all patient, you can find a good quality gold (or better) 850W for $100 or less. 1700W for under $200 is pretty solid.

Last edited:
make sure you go gold PSU's if you choose a single PSU. well go gold anyway.

I commonly go weaker for the risers + MoBO and stronger for PSU's

Keep in mind that right around the 750-850W range is where you start to get 6+ 6+2-pin PCI-E cables.

And if you're at all patient, you can find a good quality gold (or better) 850W for $100 or less. 1700W for under $200 is pretty solid.

I was thinking two of these PSUs using this adapter I have this board and an odd array of (6) 1060's & 1070's cards until I can get another (5) 1060's. I'll probably build my own rack

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went for this to join up the two PSUs, but the splitter cable should work fine too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182779599239

If you're eventually looking to fully populate that board, I'd probably look at going higher power with one of the PSUs. Those power supplies have 2x double 6+2-pin cables, so personally I'd look for something with at least 6 total 6+2 connectors and at least 850W. That way, it should be good to power the motherboard, drive, and a good stack of cards.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back