One more shot at my 146... (Worst Opteron Ever?)

matt fury

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, I sat down again and tried to get some more juice out of my Opteron..but I'm basically at the same brick wall I was at before..

System
----
Opteron 146 CABYE
XP-90
Jetway GT4-SLI-G
4x512mb Kingston Hyper-X
SATAII HD
2x CD drives
GF 6600GT
Antec 400w Smartpower 2 (+12v@29a)

BIOS is set to 3x HTT link, RAM is at 133mhz. Board can do 300+ fsb. [email protected] is Prime-stable for an hour. [email protected] didn't instant-crash Prime, but I don't know how long it was stable for. Trying [email protected] now to see if it's more stable. 2750 resulted in instant-reset last time I tried it. 2650mhz? Did I get the worst fucking Opteron ever, or what? I have 3000+s that do 2600mhz! I don't think it's the board either, because I've gotten similar results with others.

Anyone have any suggestions on things I can try? This is really frustrating!

what week? there's bound to be a few duds. my 144 CABNE 0530 should have been good, but topped out at 2.8ghz with a bunch of voltage, you're not too far behind.

Shit, I keep forgetting to check the week before I put on the heatsink. It's one of those early eWiz chips, so I'm thinking 0530 right? What's "a bunch of voltage" 1.65, 1.7?

OK, more testing... Even at 1.65v, 275fsb = instant reboot. Same thing it did at 1.55v & 1.6v. Does that mean that it could be something else that is holding me back here? If so, what?

can you tell me two things?

1. a64tweaker shot
2. idle, load, ambient temps, and the settings used to get them

Dillusion said:
my 3000 venice does 2700, neener neener.

But the extra cache of the Opteron is probably worth the extra 50mhz you have on him ;) .

(cf)Eclipse said:
can you tell me two things?

1. a64tweaker shot
2. idle, load, ambient temps, and the settings used to get them

Will install a64tweaker and get a shot ASAP. I don't get accurate readings though due to the Jetway bios that doesn't read the temp sensors correctly, and as silly as it is, I don't have a floppy drive to update the BIOS with.

Right now I'm going pretty stable at [email protected]. Gonna try dropping the voltage some more and see if it's still stable.

even if they're "wrong", can you tell me anyway? ;)

i've had my fair share of misreporting temps, i might be able to figure out some useful things from it

(cf)Eclipse said:
even if they're "wrong", can you tell me anyway? ;)

i've had my fair share of misreporting temps, i might be able to figure out some useful things from it
The infamous temp bug, what was it? 48c on the Clawhammers?

Im a bit dissapointed with my chip as well to tell the truth. Its completely stable at 2.9 at 1.47v... which is awesome... but with 1.57v (max voltage even after vmodd on my asrock board) i still cant do 3.0..... not really a good complaint but still :rolleyes:

Its wierd i can do 8x300 but cant get 9 or 10 x 300 no matter what i try. It should be able to do 9 x 300 easily since it will do 10x290... I dont get it. I can even get into windows at 8x320 but 10x300 no go! I would be happy to just get a 10x300 screenshot!

PCBliss said:
Im a bit dissapointed with my chip as well to tell the truth. Its completely stable at 2.9 at 1.47v... which is awesome... but with 1.57v (max voltage even after vmodd on my asrock board) i still cant do 3.0..... not really a good complaint but still :rolleyes:

Its wierd i can do 8x300 but cant get 9 or 10 x 300 no matter what i try. It should be able to do 9 x 300 easily since it will do 10x290... I dont get it. I can even get into windows at 8x320 but 10x300 no go! I would be happy to just get a 10x300 screenshot!

That is strange. What's your memory running at? In some of the dual core threads, some of them swear by the 9/10 divider getting them insane OC's at stock voltage even when higher, normally attainable 1:1 OC's fail with higher voltage.

Borgschulze said:
The infamous temp bug, what was it? 48c on the Clawhammers?
close, 38c. i saw a lot of chips and mobo's that did that too :(

dill, i <3 you anyway :cool:

ah, well if it's any consolation, i've had a 3200+ that couldn't break 2.3ghz stable, unless i put it on water and gave the thing like 1.7v

(cf)Eclipse said:
ah, well if it's any consolation, i've had a 3200+ that couldn't break 2.3ghz stable, unless i put it on water and gave the thing like 1.7v

Wow thats horrible haha, which one was it?

My 3400+ 939 is worse, I can't even do 2400MHz without crashing. I have an XP-90. My idle temps rise really fast when I add more MHz, even with 1.450->1.475vCore...

To the OP, has it ever occured to you that your mobo and PSU are limiting things. It could be that you are not getting clean voltage, or that you can't increase the voltage on your northbridge. Just some things to consider b4 throwing out that opteron.

(cf)Eclipse said:

Oh yeah, well I had a 3400+ that barely held 2.4GHz stable, and not a MHz more. :( Bust.

Full Folding Ahead!

kirbyrj said:
That is strange. What's your memory running at? In some of the dual core threads, some of them swear by the 9/10 divider getting them insane OC's at stock voltage even when higher, normally attainable 1:1 OC's fail with higher voltage.

Running memory at 3:2 FSB:mem so its at 200mhz

Well I had a Pentium 2.4C "Northwood" that wouldn't go past 2.6GHz even at 1.7v. :eek:

Beat that!

My Athlon 64 3800+ wasn't that great either, but I suspect that was more my A8N-SLi Deluxe than anything.

Eh, just go and drop the divider to 5:6 and overclock your ram so that the chip will run at 2.6ghz. I dont recall the HTT to run at but you can do that calculation. Perhaps at 2.6ghz you wont get your best oc but hopefully overclocked ram would help a bit. You know to help with the OC performance.

I hit my max of 2.75ghz on my Opt 146 cabye 0540 (the letters after that are very rare and I only found those on CAB2Es so I dont know my theoretical limit) and im happy because I know if I had a DFI or some OC'er board I could get a bit higher. Asrock boards aren't the best OCers out there. I am running HTT at 275 and 2:3 divider, I might go and go up to 5:6 and see if I can torment my ram some but OCs arent a guaranteed sucess... thats why I dont get those video cards that have unlockables... I dont expect to get the extra 4 pipelines.

If you are displeased with that, go visit the CABGE support group thread :p

awdark said:
Eh, just go and drop the divider to 5:6 and overclock your ram so that the chip will run at 2.6ghz. I dont recall the HTT to run at but you can do that calculation. Perhaps at 2.6ghz you wont get your best oc but hopefully overclocked ram would help a bit. You know to help with the OC performance.

I hit my max of 2.75ghz on my Opt 146 cabye 0540 (the letters after that are very rare and I only found those on CAB2Es so I dont know my theoretical limit) and im happy because I know if I had a DFI or some OC'er board I could get a bit higher. Asrock boards aren't the best OCers out there. I am running HTT at 275 and 2:3 divider, I might go and go up to 5:6 and see if I can torment my ram some but OCs arent a guaranteed sucess... thats why I dont get those video cards that have unlockables... I dont expect to get the extra 4 pipelines.

If you are displeased with that, go visit the CABGE support group thread :p

That's a nice OC on the ASRock board with its limited voltages (unless you voltmodded it :) ).

awdark said:
thats why I dont get those video cards that have unlockables... I dont expect to get the extra 4 pipelines.
Hehe, I bought an x800GTO^2 for the purpose of getting an x850XT PE for $300 CAD

kirbyrj said:
That's a nice OC on the ASRock board with its limited voltages (unless you voltmodded it :) ).

^_^ that makes me proud ahha. Im using stock voltages because board mods = smoke for me. I just never seem to have the same version as everyone else. Like I look points and compare the ones on my screen and say yep...thats it. Solder them and power up to smoke lol.

But see? Like the guy above he only gets 2.4ghz your 2.6ghz is cool considering that you had no control over the batch you got right?

i ran 290x10 with no vmodds on my asrock board :) Sadly after the vmod it still only does 290x10

(cf)Eclipse said:
*lol* my 1st A64, a Clawhammer 3200+, didn't like to do 2150Mhz....... on any chipset I tried it on, including my NF3 that took my Newcastle 2800+ to 2.6 stock voltage.....

700mhz! Lucky!

The best I can do with my 3.0C is 300mhz before it completely turns instable.

I still cant justify myself going for an opteron. My 3200+ venice does 2.8ghz which is an 800mhz overclock.

My next upgrade will most likely be a dual core.

Aaron_ATX said:
my cabbage 146 only does 2.4ish ghz.

Heh, awesome.

Yannow, it sounds silly, but I kinda want a cabbage just for collections sake and hoping someone sells it for cheap since they dont overclock for shat ahaha.

Back