One of my FX60 cores is dead/dying!

Smoove910 said:
Who the hell cares. Let's say he RMA's it to AMD there is 1 of 2 things that will happen.

1.) They replace it
2.) They send it back

I don't see why all you lamers are getting your panties in a bind, it's the OP's choice to attempt the RMA. Besides, I bet most of you have overclocked your CPU as well, hence the reason for coming to this forum in the first place.

Don't come at me saying it raises the cost of the CPU's and other garbage like that because that is totally untrue. Do you actually think the prices would go down if there weren't any RMA's of CPU's? NO! So quit your bitching and let the OP try this out. If it works, shame on AMD, if it doesn't, shame on the OP for buying off of the bay.
By far the most logical post in this thread.

I think it's hilarious to watch everyone pull out their morals all of a sudden.

Ok, hadn't quite expected to be faced with such a wall of morality! But feel I should clarfiy some stuff about the CPU:

I know my initial post suggests i started at 2.9ghz & worked my way down but I didn't; I initially primed at 2600@236x11 because i have DDR500. After leaving it overnight I returned to find one instance had failed. I re-ran both and again had a failure after 4-6 hours. So with speed of troubleshooting in mind i ran at 250x11, and i got a failure on core 1 after 2 hours and then 1, and then just for the sake of it I ran at 2.9 and prime wouldn't run on core 1. So in my mind the failure was there before I got carried away
:rolleyes:.

As for the seller being a lunatic overclocker, he says he never did push it, and turns out he's a regular on Planetamd64 so I'm open to believing him as I'm really naive ;) Also, he's gonna track down his reciept for me :D

And, my newly appointed RMA nemesis VanFanel89: why do AMD sell a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and then tell people not to try using it? It's like me lending a sportscar to a mate on an empty road and saying don't drive fast :p

I do accept the whole secondhand warranty void stuff, but at the end of the day it failed at stock first. I'll try the rma in the new year and will post back on how it goes.

Antho_ie said:
Ok, hadn't quite expected to be faced with such a wall of morality! But feel I should clarfiy some stuff about the CPU:

I know my initial post suggests i started at 2.9ghz & worked my way down but I didn't; I initially primed at 2600@236x11 because i have DDR500. After leaving it overnight I returned to find one instance had failed. I re-ran both and again had a failure after 4-6 hours. So with speed of troubleshooting in mind i ran at 250x11, and i got a failure on core 1 after 2 hours and then 1, and then just for the sake of it I ran at 2.9 and prime wouldn't run on core 1. So in my mind the failure was there before I got carried away

As for the seller being a lunatic overclocker, he says he never did push it, and turns out he's a regular on Planetamd64 so I'm open to believing him as I'm really naive ;) Also, he's gonna track down his reciept for me :D

And, my newly appointed RMA nemesis VanFanel89: why do AMD sell a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and then tell people not to try using it? It's like me lending a sportscar to a mate on an empty road and saying don't drive fast :p

I do accept the whole secondhand warranty void stuff, but at the end of the day it failed at stock first. I'll try the rma in the new year and will post back on how it goes.

I am not a marketing person and thus I can't answer why the processor is sold with unlocked multiplier. Furthermore, the fact that you are using DDR500 can also contribute to having your processor exhibit failure. DDR500 is not designed not recommended to run with Athlon processors. Sure - it may run, and in some instances it may run without a problem and forever and ever - but when it has problems, that's the first thing to look at. Now in your case - I doubt the RAM has anything to do with the processor - it may as well be a dead core; but if the previous owner was at fault to overclock the hell out of it and now passing you the buck - it's his fault. Your processor's warranty is void - thats the bottom line.

what if you bought a new one, from newegg, once it came replaced the processors and Rma'd ur old one to new egg??? get a refund? pay 15% restocking? that possible?

then in a sense you bought one :-D.

2wiced said:
what if you bought a new one, from newegg, once it came replaced the processors and Rma'd ur old one to new egg??? get a refund? pay 15% restocking? that possible?

and newegg wold not, of course, notice the serial numbers on the box and on the processors are mismatching... of course they would not

2wiced said:

Uh fraud?

Someone get the banstick..

Hey, it sucks you got a bum processor but it's not AMD's fault. It's the risk you take when you buy off of ebay. You knew you had no idea what condition the CPU would be in when you bought it, but you took the risk anyway. Now the CPU doesn't work. Tough luck but that's how the dice roll.

I'm sure you also knew that the warranty was non-transferrable. It also sounds like you knew the previous owner did overclock even though he didn't push it "far." If this is so, then surely you must've realized that the previous owner had already broken the terms of the warranty. It's no secret around here that overclocking voids the warranty.

And believe me, if there's anyone here that hates large corporations, it's me. But I'd rather punish companies for real crimes and not just try to steal from them. Hell, I wish Lay and Skilling had received the chair, but this is just stealing.

I'm really disgusted at people who recommend you buy a machine at Best Buy and return the bum chip in the machine. I guess people want to screw NewEgg as well. Please, take some personal responsibility. The reason I hate large corporations is because I believe many of the execs have no conscience or moral direction, but I do not want to be like them. In this case, not liking corporations is not an excuse to commit fraud.

Ummm I think everyone is going overboard on all of this. If he attempts to get this RMA'd and AMD gives him a replacement processor, then more power to him. Since AMD obviously decided to give it to him instead of inspecting everything, then he clearly deserves the processor they give him. Now if they said no, we won't give you one, then he's still in the same boat with that processor.

Personally, I've done similar things. My Canon Pixma IP5000 had a severe issue after moving, it was nicely packed away and no damage to it's box from the move. But when it was opened and hooked up, it wouldn't work. After some research on the net, I found that it's a fairly common issue with these machines. My Canon had just crossed it's 1 year warranty. I called them up and told them I didn't know my purchase date, and they sent me a replacement. Not to mention they never required me to ship the old one back.

As well as with my Linksys Wireless G router, I had a model that had the common AC adapter problem. So I went to best buy, bought a newer version of the same model, and swapped the routers out and then returned the messed up one to best buy. The best buy customer service person could have checked the serials on the box and on the router to see if they lined up but they didn't. So everything worked out.

Now these incidents were mildly dishonest, but both had faulty parts inside and the manufacturer knows it. Best Buy will send back to Linksys for a credit, and Canon never sent a return box.

Look at the Dell Optiplex GX270, those motherboards that are in there have bad capacitors ... Dell finally extended their warranty on the motherboards in those systems for another 2 years because they received so many complaints and technical support calls on them. Had people not made so many RMAs, that extension would not be available. And the problem would be out there but not being fixed. So the companies can benefit somewhat from RMAs because it shows the customer they are willing to take care of the problem even though it may be out of their agreed warranty time period.

I find it funny that AMD replaces the chips because they dont want to lose customers and it makes more business sense... While AMD smiles and nods the forum goers attack the people.

Now for morals. They can write whatever they wont on their warranty sheet but if they sell me a piece of crap I want a new one or im not buying anything from them again. Saying the overclocking is killed it is BS. How many chips have died from overclocking that weren't already weak and going to die on their own? None that I know of or have ever heard of.
And no I'm not including negligence such as using high vcores or other things that can directly cause damage.
HONESTLY, if you bought a brand new X2, gave it 1.5vcore and it immediately died, do you think it was a non defective chip?

Jakalwarrior said:
I find it funny that AMD replaces the chips because they dont want to lose customers and it makes more business sense... While AMD smiles and nods the forum goers attack the people.

Now for morals. They can write whatever they wont on their warranty sheet but if they sell me a piece of crap I want a new one or im not buying anything from them again. Saying the overclocking is killed it is BS. How many chips have died from overclocking that weren't already weak and going to die on their own? None that I know of or have ever heard of.
And no I'm not including negligence such as using high vcores or other things that can directly cause damage.
HONESTLY, if you bought a brand new X2, gave it 1.5vcore and it immediately died, do you think it was a non defective chip?

Still disgruntled about the whole rant against yours in http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1110928 ??

Not really. I can take abuse from soap box internet moralists who would rather be out 400 bucks based on fine print.
I didn't RMA it btw. Didn't turn out to be the chip, was one of my memory sticks.

Antho_ie said:

So let me get this straight. It wasn't stable at stock speeds with stock voltage, so you decided to increase the clock speed to see if you could get it stable? Am I the only one who thinks he shouldn't get a new processor just for this? Sheesh.

Did you ever try it at stock clocks and stock FSB speeds? Did you ever think that maybe Prime failed because your memory wasnt up to the task of actually running at DDR500?

As to why AMD sells the CPU with unlocked multipliers: Because some people are willing to pay more for it, and they understand the risks that are associated with doing so. If I go buy a sports car from Company X and it comes with a warranty, and I also buy Company X's turbocharger and install it on the engine, that would void most sports car warranties. But you know what, some people will pay for this because they posses the technical knowledge to minimize their risks when using/modifying equipment that goes above and beyond the original spec. Customers are happy; Company is happy.

Did you even read the thread? The guy bought it used. AMD did not sell him a defective chip; some fucker on ebay did; you're missing the entire point. He's trying to get a chip that he did not buy from AMD or any real reseller replaced under RMA. The chip wasn't brand new and it didn't 'just die'. Since you obviously understand (you wrote it) that high voltage can fry chips, and you now know another person owned it and overclocked it, perhaps you'll reconsider. If the person posting was the original buyer - this thread wouldn't exist.

metallicafan said:
So let me get this straight. It wasn't stable at stock speeds with stock voltage, so you decided to increase the clock speed to see if you could get it stable? Am I the only one who thinks he shouldn't get a new processor just for this? Sheesh.

No, i ran it faster to reproduce the error quicker :D

Did you ever try it at stock clocks and stock FSB speeds? Did you ever think that maybe Prime failed because your memory wasnt up to the task of actually running at DDR500?

I did think about that but my ram is actually PC4000, and has been running @ DDR 500 for about 9 months

As to why AMD sells the CPU with unlocked multipliers: Because some people are willing to pay more for it, and they understand the risks that are associated with doing so.

Thats why I bought it. But I never got so far as to take the risk...

Tylerdurdened said:
It costs like 15 dollars to make a chip for them, but they sell it for like 400 dollars if I'm not mistaken, that's dishonesty.

couple things. you are smoking crack if you think it costs them only $15 to make a fx-60. if it did thier stock would be through the roof.

overvolting/clocking the chip and trying to RMA when it still runs at the stock guaranteed speed is dishonesty. but I won't jump on OP's case for that.

I just commmented because of your lame $15 statement. the raw materials may cost 'em $15, but how much do you think it costs to make the fab and pay the overhead? or perhaps the R&D? That is all part of the cost of building the chip.

Do you think it only costs chevy $500 to build a corvette? The raw materials for a vette would cost less than $500.

headless said:
Did you even read the thread? The guy bought it used. AMD did not sell him a defective chip; some fucker on ebay did; you're missing the entire point. He's trying to get a chip that he did not buy from AMD or any real reseller replaced under RMA. The chip wasn't brand new and it didn't 'just die'. Since you obviously understand (you wrote it) that high voltage can fry chips, and you now know another person owned it and overclocked it, perhaps you'll reconsider. If the person posting was the original buyer - this thread wouldn't exist.

I know, I was responding to the flamers who attacked a specific part of my statement and made broad statements about RMAing in general, not the OP. I stated in my first post that he shouldn't RMA it since he bought it used and god knows what the last owner did to it. Its something to take up with the last owner.

Back