Onkyo TX-SR805 silver $677 shipped

Amazing price, awesome find man. I JUST paid ~716 or so from Amazon for an SR805 black a few days back (damn you black equipment rack, silver would look funky) :D

Damn to expensive guys, Don;t you think ? I bought my Sony Reciever with my Bose 15 series Home Theater for $500 back in 2002.

dont argue wioth the audophile group on ridiculous prices. they'll.. hurt you. :eek:
but meh, the inputs on the back of that thing put my xr57 to shame

dont argue wioth the audophile group on ridiculous prices. they'll.. hurt you.

Onkyo is INCREDIBLY far away from being "audiophile" level gear, price wise. Like, a million miles away.

i didn't say it was audiophile gear. I said audiophile people. read.

Damn too expensive guys, Don't you think? I bought my Sony Reciever with my Bose 15 series Home Theater for $500 back in 2002.

technology tends to progress over a 5-year period. does your sony receiver have all the features of this onkyo? your comparison is pretty invalid.

i didn't say it was audiophile gear. I said audiophile people. read.

I did read it. You were referring to audiophiles, and in the context of the post you basically connected the price of this Onkyo with the price of the products audiophiles purchase; ie, audiophile gear.

Unless you were just randomly commenting on the fact that audiophiles tend to purchase expensive items, and arguing with them is a bad idea.

And if so, in that case:

Jewish people don't eat ham. That's a good statement too, and about as related as Onkyo is to audiophiles, or audiophile gear, either one ;)

That's a good price for that receiver. Just be sure to check the specs to make sure it will fit in and that your can handle the weight before you buy. It's a BEAST!

Product Dimensions: 18.1 x 17.1 x 7.6 inches
Shipping Weight: 61 pounds

Damn to expensive guys, Don;t you think ? I bought my Sony Reciever with my Bose 15 series Home Theater for $500 back in 2002.

Yeah, but, see, most people don't want their music to suck.

Sony receivers are generally the bottom of the barrel in their price class.... and those crappy Bose cubes with their paper cones and the "bass module" they want you to think is a subwoofer (but isn't) that has 3 5.25" paper cones inside a bandpass enclosure sound like crap.

You could have done better for $500.

Anyway, that's an awesome price on this receiver.

Audiophiles are emo, discuss -

This statement does not mean that all Audiophiles are emo,and also that not all emo's are audiophiles but it does mean that at least two audiophiles are emo and at least two emo's are audiophiles. Since I do know two audiophiles that are in fact emo, then this is a true statement. Thanks.

-discussion over.

Back on topic, does anyone know if you can change the display colors on this unit?

no color changing display on this unit

but regardless, this unit is fully packed at its price... it sounds better than average and covers most bases... so its an awesome buy, especially at that price point

I will stick with my SONY ES product for now. Then again, getting 60% off retail for Sony ES equipment is the best bang for the buck.

End of story!

Good price considering the insane amount of features it has...but I'm an unredeemable Denon & Pioneer owner. ;)

I will stick with my SONY ES product for now. Then again, getting 60% off retail for Sony ES equipment is the best bang for the buck.

End of story!

CoolZoolander.jpg

lol nice one to above poster :D

I have the same receiver but in black. It's a heck of a receiver for the price. Of course, you are not going to get near the audiophile range like the separates pre/pro etc such as integras and marantz. But let me tell, you it sounds pretty darn close and for the price, it can't be beat. Look up the reviews for this beast and the power supply is a monster. This is evident by how heavy it is. It is also THX ultra certified if that means anything to you.

I listened to blu-ray and hd-dvd on my ascend acoustics 340's with this receiver and I'm in audio heaven.

If you are in need of an HDMI receiver to complement your blu-ray or hd-dvd, there's no other place to look.

Please don't purchase Sony and Bose again when you upgrade.

I read that and thought the same thing. :p

I also agree w/ that comment. Onkyo, while it may not be audiophool worthy, is much better than Sony and Bose (in general).

I have the '805's little brother - '605 - and it's been working great. Amazon was selling that for $370'ish the other day (I paid $400 for it in the summer). It's a good alternative if one doesn't need so many inputs, wants to save a few bucks, and get something that's half the weight of the '805.

I own an old Onkyo receiver and also highly recommend them to anyone looking for a receiver. The price you pay is based on the features you want the unit to have -- as explained above, Onkyo is not considered audiophile gear, so you're not paying some astronomical price just to have the name, you're getting features you paid for which are useful (such as the certifications mentioned above for decoding specific signals, etc).

I agree that audiophiles are laughable in most regards (paying thousands for speaker cable and whatnot), but this definately isn't one of those conversations! :)

I used to be all over avsforums and it's crazy what they pay for stuff. I made two expensive purchases, H/K 525 receiver and a 500W 10" Rocket sub. Now I look back and it's total overkill for me. Some people go the opposite way and buy a 50W sub thinking that's enough. I'll go with either Denon or Onkyo for my next receiver since I get them at employee discount prices. And will probably go with Polk speakers. I was going to get some exotic speakers, but that will probably turn out to be another overkill. While Onkyo is not in the same league as Denon and H/K it's a very nice product, way better then Sony. It's good enough for the average person.

bose... exactly

this reciever is far from "expensive" when it comes to decent audio.

I just bought one of these a 2 weeks ago. You will not be disappointed. If you are looking for something slightly above midrange this is your best bet. We all dont have 10,000 dollars to spend on a nice HT system. If i had the money I would have gotten the 900. I got this with the Polk Audio RTI series and it sounds awesome. I dont even have half the system hooked up yet and its already amazing. Once its calibrated it will be even better.

Back