Online backup services

I just signed up for Mozy because I can't get my usb drive or my dvd burner to work. I needed to backup files so I decided to try Mozy out. I am still in my upload backup stage and it takes forever. Does anyone here have experience with Mozy or another service?

i work for the company that owns Mozy. ;)

Mozy is a bit different than your typical backup software....

i'd definitely suggest taking a look at the various options and, also, setting a backup schedule that most closely fits your "computing lifestyle."

for what it's worth, i keep Mozy throttled down so yes, backups are slower but i do get continuity of data.

cheers,

dave

I got the same question, and eerily enough, the site that got my attention was also Mozy. Mozy Home has 2 gigs free, but I'm more interested in the unlimited ~$5 a month plan. They had a lot of press coverage....

So, anyone out here have experience with Mozy, or any other remote online backup services?

I'll be backing up personal media, video, pictures, audio (some uncompressed too), and some doc and a few important finance files.. So I easily have at least 15 gigs right now to backup (and more laying around here on tape and disc's and memcards, so at least double or triple that too) of literally irreplaceable personal media. I like the idea of a remote backup site..

I don't know the transfer rates Mozy can provide, but i figure my upstream is about 60 kbytes/second.. so say roughly a gig would take 5 hours to upload, so I'm figuring after the initial upload, it shouldn't be too too bad.. There may be times afterwards when I'll have to leave my computer uploading for a day when a bunch of new media gets dumped.. can the OP or anyone give me some insight of the transfer rates you are getting?

UPDATE: This blog post about Mozy sounds pretty bad... http://wonko.com/post/496

I signed up for mozy a while back, and while the initial backup took almost 2 days (15GB) I've been very pleased with the spead of the backups since. I guess its more of how much you backup and the amount of the backup sets. I typically only change documents and work type files so not much changes on a day to day basis. Are you trying to backup entire music / movie collections?

Side note - looks like mozy offers a free 2GB starter account, might be something to checkout before purchasing. https://mozy.com/registration/free

I use the free Mozy for backing up just the most crucial documents that I need (term papers, etc.) I plan on grabbing a Time Capsule for most of my backing up in the future though. Right now I don't really back up...

My first backup took about a week, I had 28 gigs or so. But I am very pleased with it, easily worth 5 bucks a month. Now it monitors what folders I choose and uploads any new files or files that have been changed.

Back