Online capacity expansion takes 3 days?

asmielia

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I've had a 3x400gb RAID 5 in my system for about a year and a half. Finally pulled the trigger on 3x1TB Seagate drives, and proceeded to expand my RAID array. I'm using a Highpoint 2300 card.

First step was to replace each drive one by one and rebuild the array each time. This went smoothly and took about 2 1/2 hours per disk.

Then I went ahead and did an online capacity expansion from 800gb->2TB. I've left the computer on for 13 hours now and it's at 18.5%! Is it supposed to take this long? Seems pretty crazy.

Adrian

Huh, you are expanding a R5 array with 400gb disks on a 1tb drive set?

You should have rather created a seperate raid 5 array with your 1tb's and transfered over from that 400gb disk set.

Huh, you are expanding a R5 array with 400gb disks on a 1tb drive set?

You should have rather created a seperate raid 5 array with your 1tb's and transfered over from that 400gb disk set.

That would have required another raid card. My way doesn't.

Yeah, it will take a super long time, but oh well. As long as it completes ok, I think everything will be fine. The old RAID array is still online during this expansion process, so I can still access my data and even if a drive were to fail, the data would still be intact.

I've gotta say, I've been pretty happy with Highpoint. Their drivers and tools have been out for Vista since the beginning, and everything has gone really smoothly. Their software has been easy to use and it seems like the RAID card has no issues dealing with a failed drive/mixing drives, etc. I guess I haven't done anything too strange, but nice to know everything works as advertised.

Perhaps there is a way to change the modification priority???

Hmm, I didn't see such an option, but I'm not using the web GUI. Anyway, that might have been the issue as for some reason last night it started progressing much faster and finished. I rebooted the system and expanded the partition to 1.81TB. Pretty sweet! Lets see how fast I can fill it :)

Back