Online retailers - NYS sales tax

Biggrich76

Limp Gawd
Not exactly a hot deal discussion, I know - but I was attempting to buy something listed in the hot deals forum, so I though I would post it here.

All of the online retailers I frequent are now charging sales tax for shipments to NY. Newegg, Buy, Amazon, etc. I know there was a pending action against the state by one of these retailers but I don't remember which one. I was hoping others would follow suit in a class-action against the state. However, I have not heard any recent news on this and it appears that all the retailers are now bowing down.

Are there any left who are fighting this decision and not charging the sales tax for shipments to NY? Just curious.

It was Amazon, and it's still pending AFAIK.

It's funny- I used to get NewEgg to ship big-ticket stuff to my relatives in NYC to avoid sales tax, now it's the other way around since Jersey tax is lower.

I kind of take it as blessing is disguise now because have a lot more money in my pocket. UPS use to be at my place at least 3 times a week because of Amazon Prime, now I hardly buy anything. Haven't upgraded any parts much less bought a blu ray movie. The tax is just a few more dollars but it sure has a way of making rethink every purchase especially after all these years without tax.

Back