Online Storage / Backup. What are you using?

lodingi

2[H]4U
I'm going to subscribe to an online service and I am looking for your opinions. Thanks.

Let me know what you are looking for, we deal with these types of services and may be able to help you.

What capacity are you looking for? Price? Type (FTP, etc)?

I'm thinking more for backup with slightly less emphasis on storage. Backup data & store family photos.

I'm thinking more for backup with slightly less emphasis on storage. Backup data & store family photos.

Basically, what you are looking for is a website with ftp access... dump your pics on there and you should be set.

I'm considering setting up Amanda with Amazon S3 as the backup target. About the cheapest I've seen storage, and it sounds fairly reliable from what I've read. That might be an option, but Amanda isn't real friendly last I looked. It should work on Windows, too, if that's a concern.

I am using MozyPro for a couple businesses. Between the two, about 400gb of data. Mozy home service is supposed to be unlimited free space.

Mozy is owned by EMC, so it's a safe company to work with. Their current redundant storage solutions are pretty good, but EMC is putting money into it to make it even better.

Never use a web host for backup / storage. I just got burned by this. Here is an article that explains why:
http://www.labnol.org/software/orga...rver-to-backup-data-from-the-hard-drive/3386/

That article makes no sense.. if they were really backups, you'd have the originals somewhere and wouldn't need to "recover" it. You'd just back up again.

On topic I use a Moxy free account for small things I don't want to lose and an off site backup (server in my office) for other stuff.

I've been checking out Mozy the last few days. HP Upline also seems like a good choice.

That article makes no sense.

I think you are nitpicking the article. It is actually a good article and it points out that almost all web hosts today will terminate your account if they detect that you are using the hosting account as a backup solution.

The web hosts count on the fact that most people won't read the TOS legalese. Then you pay for two years in advance to get the low monthly rate. Then the web host detects (using a combination of file types, transfers, etc.) that you are using the account for backup or storage. And boom, they terminate you and keep your money.

This just happened to me. I didn't lose data, but I did lose money. I felt screwed by Siteground.com. It wasn't until I read the article that I understood this is a common occurrence. Beware. Do not use a web hosting account for data storage. They will screw you over using the TOS you probably didn't read/understand.

The web hosts count on the fact that most people won't read the TOS legalese.
Why would you sign a contract you haven't read?
This just happened to me. I didn't lose data, but I did lose money. I felt screwed by Siteground.com. It wasn't until I read the article that I understood this is a common occurrence. Beware. Do not use a web hosting account for data storage. They will screw you over using the TOS you probably didn't read/understand.
If you don't read it... well, that's on you. If you don't understand it, call or email their tech support and ask for clarification.

One of the comments on the article that I agree with:
What struck me was that:
1. CTO of such a big internet related media company couldn’t find a better place to store his data.
2. He was more foolish than even an average internet user who knows what those advertized huge storage spaces are really for.
Now you know whether to believe any tech news/review coming out of ZD or not..

I'm just starting to develop with Amazon S3 and im pretty impressed.

HP upline appears to be a pretty good deal. I am most likely going with this solution.

I'm considering setting up Amanda with Amazon S3 as the backup target. About the cheapest I've seen storage, and it sounds fairly reliable from what I've read. That might be an option, but Amanda isn't real friendly last I looked. It should work on Windows, too, if that's a concern.

Bad idea.
No data guarantee there.

if it's mainly just for photos, why not just use photobucket or some other online picture hosting like flicker?

google docs is nice too.

paying doesn't mean you get more "protection" all harddrives fail.

Well I signed up with HP Upline. After all was said & done I wound up getting a refund. It turns out Vista 64 is not supported. I tend to forget we enthusiasts are in the minority. Well I'm off to find another service.

Bad idea.
No data guarantee there.

Its a backup that means its also somewhere else...I mean the chances of your local data failing are not very high to begin with...then the chance of a professionally managed storage system like S3 failing even lower....then the chance of them both failing at the time almost impossible.

You cant ever completely get rid of risk.

1) web hosting sites that care that your using the site as backup..... are you serious.... they wouldn't care about that.. if im the web host and your uploading a tiny bit of data and using little to no bandwidth and within your quota for disk space.. your like the perfect client.. using less bandwidth > anything else for them...

2) is this personal backup ? or company... if its company better get some boss approval because a online storage is about the furthest away from a good idea :p

3) personal. why do you need it remotely stored... fireproof safe and backup media is the best,

if you got spare money to do useless things.. you can donate to the newly single mens club funds :p

My storage would be for personal storage only. I want an online solution because I want to set it & forget it. I don't want to rely on myself to remember to follow a backup schedule.

Never use a web host for backup / storage. I just got burned by this. Here is an article that explains why:
http://www.labnol.org/software/orga...rver-to-backup-data-from-the-hard-drive/3386/

You are discussing two disasters striking at one time in two diffrent locations.

I think you are nitpicking the article. It is actually a good article and it points out that almost all web hosts today will terminate your account if they detect that you are using the hosting account as a backup solution.

I have never had an account terminated for uploading and archiving pictures.

The web hosts count on the fact that most people won't read the TOS legalese. Then you pay for two years in advance to get the low monthly rate. Then the web host detects (using a combination of file types, transfers, etc.) that you are using the account for backup or storage. And boom, they terminate you and keep your money.

Never had this happen, most hosts will send out warnings for abusers, they don't terminate right away.

So you didn't lose data? Isn't that the entire point?

Back