Oops I did it again....LOL. On to a 980ti

Jayham

Gawd
So after going from my 970 to MSI 980 I just couldn't stop there! I'm a sucker for a good deal. I saw an ad posted for a 980ti, so I made an offer and now a happy owner of a EVGA GTX 980ti SC ACX 2.0+ w/backplate. :D

980ti%20BP.jpg
[/URL]

Nice, I've fallen into that trap more than once. I remember a few years ago I bought a single 680 and was like hmm how about SLI. So then I got a third 680 right when Titan came out. At that point 3 680s had more performance than a single Titan but not by much. So I bought a single Titan and thought I was happy and the next thing I know I bought another for SLI. :D

Did the same with the Titan X SLI setup, I originally went with 980 SLI and a few weeks later Titan X was released so I bought just one promising myself not to go SLI again. Wasn't happy w/the performance and got that SLI itch and well here I am again lol. However, next time I'm gonna skip the Titan series and stick w/the flagship GeForce, these Titans are rough on the wallet. :)

lol i dont get that either....nice looking build! what size case is that btw? or what case is it?

lol i dont get that either....nice looking build! what size case is that btw? or what case is it?

Same thoughts and questions. Maybe he had a bad time with the ACX?

I also sympathize with 5150 Joker. :)

That first pic is cringeworthy...

Why is that?

Same thoughts and questions. Maybe he had a bad time with the ACX?

I also sympathize with 5150 Joker. :)

The outside of an anti-static bag...google it.

(Hint: It's one of the WORST places to put anything electronic...)

Maybe I'm lucky or do a good job of pre-discharging or something because I've done that a thousand times and no problems. :confused:

Nice lookin' card though! :)

Your PC build looks very nice, all black looks really cool... very clean cabling as well.

I also think that these current gen EVGA cards look pretty good, cosmetically speaking, especially when backplated...

Same here. People go batshit sometimes with all the precautions they take.

When you have handled thousands of GPU's,CPU's, Mobo's etc. you learn to respect certain things.
Static discharge is one of them.
I wouldn't have you handling any hardware of mine.

The outside of an ESD bag is no more dangerous than your own body if you didn't discharge yourself before removing the component from the bag. Just don't power the device when it is sitting on the bag since the outside of some bags are also slightly conductive.

Nice card, I am envious.

Nice, I've fallen into that trap more than once. I remember a few years ago I bought a single 680 and was like hmm how about SLI. So then I got a third 680 right when Titan came out. At that point 3 680s had more performance than a single Titan but not by much. So I bought a single Titan and thought I was happy and the next thing I know I bought another for SLI. :D

Did the same with the Titan X SLI setup, I originally went with 980 SLI and a few weeks later Titan X was released so I bought just one promising myself not to go SLI again. Wasn't happy w/the performance and got that SLI itch and well here I am again lol. However, next time I'm gonna skip the Titan series and stick w/the flagship GeForce, these Titans are rough on the wallet. :)
The upgrade bug can get ridiculously expensive, but so fun and exciting every time you get a new toy.

Thanks, Corsair 250D I love it, fits perfectly on my desk with such a small footprint.

Your PC build looks very nice, all black looks really cool... very clean cabling as well.
Thank you! Cable management is not bad considering the size of the case. It was a bit tougher with the EVGA P2 1000w PSU vs the the Corsair CXM 500w I had in there before. Didn't want to really use the EVGA P2 1000 but the only other power supply I had laying around.

As for placing graphics card on anti-static bag I've done it maybe a couple of times and never really had an issue but didn't really know it was that bad for electronic devices but now I know and thank you for that info. Thankfully the card works wonderfully so far so good.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

watercooed and all....you got me thinking next build i need to go Mini ITX:).....any regrets at all? those small boards oc and work real stable?

In all my time building PCs (12+ years) I've only built one other semi SFF PC was more of an HTPC in the Silverstone Grandia GD09B case was a beautiful case/PC. I've always used full and mid tower cases otherwise. I came from a full tower case with x99 setup to the current mITX system I have now and to be a honest I'm not sure I'll ever go full or mid tower build again for myself.

As for stability/overclocking goes it's as solid as they come. I've had my CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz rock solid stable since I put it together a few months ago. mITX boards are almost as fully capable as any other board, biggest limitation obviously would be the ability to run a single GPU only but it works out well for myself.

Current mITX cases can accommodate the best of hardware, look as good as any other build and do so in a tiny package in comparison. Some folks get super creative with them.

Zero regrets!

Last edited:
The 970 is already sold and I have a potential buyer for the 980 this evening. I'll have to wait to see if he actually comes through, if not it's still listed.

Thanks!

Why would he need luck selling those cards? An hour on the board and they sell themselves. The 980ti rocks man. I just upgraded from 970SLI and although the performance isn't that different, the hassles with all these games lately not supporting SLI are gone and smoothness is up some as well. Seems lately that nvidia has basically washed their hands of SLI and 3D and many new games aren't supporting these features.

I have the FTW version arriving today. :) I love me some AMD cards but, I cannot fit the Fury or Fury X in my case and I do not want the Nano at the price they are asking for it. The next best option up from a 290x was the 980Ti and this one was the best to fit in my case. (Define r3.)

When you have handled thousands of GPU's,CPU's, Mobo's etc. you learn to respect certain things.
Static discharge is one of them.
I wouldn't have you handling any hardware of mine.

I don't think you have to worry about that happening. Although when I delidded my CPU I made sure to wear my full intel approved protective suit.

Same here. People go batshit sometimes with all the precautions they take.

Haha, for real. I can't imagine what ridiculous precautions some people take when building their computers.

I've had a gtx 260 sitting in a plastic bin of junk/old pc parts/shirts/etc. I would rummage through it, toss the card aside, set it on the carpet. A few years later I took it out to use in an emergency and it worked flawlessly.

The outside of an ESD bag is no more dangerous than your own body if you didn't discharge yourself before removing the component from the bag. Just don't power the device when it is sitting on the bag since the outside of some bags are also slightly conductive.

Nice card, I am envious.

I've always put my shit on the ESD bags. If it was that bad I should have at least fried something sometime as I have built well over 100 machines.

Here I was testing some 36GB Cheetahs I got on a Dual Pentium II 450 machine I got from a member here,
36gig_cheetahs.jpg

The drives are powered up in this pic and the drives were still working great a few years later when I retired them.
FYI, these drives need active cooling, almost burnt my fingers when I touched one.

Also, how much did you pay for the 980ti?

I've always put my shit on the ESD bags. If it was that bad I should have at least fried something sometime as I have built well over 100 machines.

Here I was testing some 36GB Cheetahs I got on a Dual Pentium II 450 machine I got from a member here,
36gig_cheetahs.jpg

The drives are powered up in this pic and the drives were still working great a few years later when I retired them.
FYI, these drives need active cooling, almost burnt my fingers when I touched one.

The "electronics" you posted are shielded...sure you want post irrelevant pictures?
I administrative ~5000 servers, would you hug the outside of a farrady cage?

But go ahead...try telling hardware manufactors to drop the anti-static bags, as they are not "needed"..just like anti-static wristband are pure bogus.

You handle hardware "your way" would get you fired on the spot on our company.
Ignorance is bliss eh?

Posting a picture of a toaster on a anti-static bag would have been just as irrelevant FYI

The "electronics" you posted are shielded...sure you want post irrelevant pictures?
I administrative ~5000 servers, would you hug the outside of a farrady cage?

But go ahead...try telling hardware manufactors to drop the anti-static bags, as they are not "needed"..just like anti-static wristband are pure bogus.

You handle hardware "your way" would get you fired on the spot on our company.
Ignorance is bliss eh?

Posting a picture of a toaster on a anti-static bag would have been just as irrelevant FYI

is this better,
old setup,
p4p800se.jpg

new setup
p5q-pro.jpg

installed and no issues,
new-c2d.jpg

That first pic is cringeworthy...

He specifically mentions the card has a backplate, and he has 2 pictures that show it. While it's poor practice to place exposed electronics on the bags, it doesn't matter in this particular scenario.

36gig_cheetahs.jpg

OMG Criiinge, crrrriiiiiinge! I'm cringing!!

Ok, so I'll attempt to help y'all out here since I am an actual electronics technician that not only replaces component level items like caps and resistors but is also a huge computer geek.

ESD precautions are important because of the micro pitting that is caused when you pick up a piece of electronics, without being grounded, and discharge your voltage into the item being picked up - which will more than likely cause a degradation in the overall lifespan of the equipment.

You have voltage? Yeah, you do. Moving around strips those electrons off of floors and then they stick to you. Ever get zapped opening a car or building door? That's you transferring voltage! Also, when you can feel / see that voltage transfer it is on the order of several THOUSAND volts - but much less is needed to micro-pit your sensitive computer electronics.

One (hokey) way to avoid ESD issues without getting an ESD wrist strap and a <10 Ohm ground is to just keep holding on to the *metal* chassis of your PC when swapping out your components. But remember, when you take your hand off of the chassis and even move a little bit you are gaining a voltage differential that will be transferred to electronic components if you don't re-ground yourself.

*****Improper handling *almost* never outright kills something like a video card or a hard drive (because they test that out in the engineering phase first!), but the damage done is still there.*****

If I could only find that old ass video from the 80's that I have to watch every year... It clears things up nicely if, by some chance, you can't follow what I've written.

Be ready to oops again 6 months from now when Pascal comes out. :D

Be ready to oops again 6 months from now when Pascal comes out. :D

I'm thinking of going back to the nVidia camp... been running Crossfire 290's for ages... happy with them in BF4 @ 1440p

But they do throw out a lot of heat, and the drivers are less than optimal for Crossfire. Plus I'm really wanting to get a nice 1440p G-sync monitor as well and have everything playing nice together.

6 months you say?

Back