Opening the flood gates

Hey guys!

I have finally decided that I am ready to go water. I have no plans to leave Core2 anytime soon and I'd like to get the most out of my existing hardware.

Current rig on air:

Lapped Q6600 /w S1283 HSF /w bolt through kit @ 3.4ghz
Gigabyte GAP45-UD3P
8GB ddr2 800 mhz g.Skill 5-5-5-18 /w Corsair Dominator fan
Corsair 550w PSU
Saphire 4850x2 2GB
x2 WD640AAKS Hard Drives in Raid 0
Coolermaster HAF 932 /w x8 Ultra Kaze Fans 4 intake on side panel, 2 exhaust on top, 2 on HSF in Push\Pull configuration.
6 knob fan controller with Y connectors.

My plan is to have everything mounted internally if possible. However, I would not be opposed to having my radiator on stand-offs above the case if it allows better cooling. I'd like to re-use my Ultra Kaze fans, however I fear they will be too thick for the radiator.

I would like to cool my CPU and Video card at this time, possibly the NB if it means for better overclocking.

This will be my very first watercooled build, and I am a little lost as to where to start. I would prefer to stay away from "All-in-one" Liquid Cooling Kits, as I believe individual parts will be of higher quality.

My max budget for all of this will be about 300-400 dollars if possible!

Edit: I've also been tinkering with the idea of getting a Lian-Li case due to them looking a bit more professional, so if we can work a sexy Lian-Li in budget, that'd be great!

You can probably stay with the HAF932 since it pretty much ready to accept a dual or triple 120mm rad on the top of the case with out any additional modification needed to be done on the case itself. Not unless you are set on gettng a lian li....

I dont there is going much of a performance difference if you mount the rad internally or external on standoffs.. personally i prefer to mount the radiators internally.

I would just do alot of research on parts for your setup since this is the best way to learn and you can probably piece together a pretty good system and not go the "kit" route.

Probably no need to watercool your NB/SB since not sure if that will help with the overclocking with that specific board.

Also just on a note....might be harder to find a Full cover GPU block for your 4850x2 and you might have to go individual GPU blocks for each one for that card and ram sinks...

Thanks for the tips.

Should I have the top mounted radiator fans on intake or out take? I was thinking 4...2 on each side, so push/pull?

You should definitely keep your HAF, as mentioned you won't require any modding to mount the radiators. I usually recommend keeping things simple in the beginning so if you can avoid modding and making the project more complicated.

If anything, the money would be best served going towards your loop so you won't have to upgrade it anytime soon.

The only radiator that I know for sure that can be mounted without modification on the HAF is the MCR series radiator. You should go with at least a 320, if possible add either another 120 or 220 in series with it.

Go with a D-Tek FuZion V2 or a Swiftech GTZ, they are good performers and currently have 1366 brackets so you know they can last you awhile.

As mentioned earlier there isn't any many options for FC waterblocks on the 4850x2. You might want to google your options, i'm sure there are people who are watercooling it. you can borrow a couple of their ideas.

As far as fans go, I'd suggest going with Yate Loons, as they seem to be the standard for radiator fans. If you can find them, the Zalman ZM-F3's are better radiator fans according to a test ran at XS.

As far as pumps go, MCP355 with some form of top (petra's... etc.) will do, they are great performers and have an extremely small footprint. You'll be surprised how little real estate you have to work with when you watercool so if you can save some room it wouldn't hurt.

Petra's Tech Shop is good place to go if you have questions regarding your order, customer support there is top notch. They are quick to respond and offer truthful suggestions, even if it means spending on a cheaper item

Jab-Tech is also a great place to go since they usually have lower prices compared to the competition.

Sidewinder computers has a larger selection of products than the two mentioned above, but not always at the most competitive prices. I usually go here when I can't find the products I need from PT or JT

Stick with your HAF.

AFAIK there are no 4850x2 specific full block covers. The best you could probably do is 2x MCW60s with VRM sinks.

iceredwing's advice is spot on.

I'd recommend

Swiftech GTZ /w 1366 adapter
MCR320QP-STACKABLE (cheap, stackable with another 320 if you ever need that much rad and don''t have the real estate to put 2x 320's in series)
MCP355+XSPC res top (great pump, great top, acts as a res and improves flow head)
1/2 id x 3/4 od duralene tubing (made by the same company that does tygon tubing but much cheaper)
some pure silver as a biocide (check out Petra's tech shop for iandH's silver killcoils if their in stock)
distilled water
Worm clamps or compression fittings since you want it to look "professional" ;) You'd need 2x for the rad, 2x for your res (though for the XSPC res top I'd recommend 45 or 90 degree fittings to reduce tubing kinks)

I'll post more info as soon as I'm done with finals. All nighter FTL.

the HAF is a great WCing case. not the best quality, but can easily mount a 3x120 radiator on the top.

look at my signature, i have all that mounted internally of the HAF932.

Back