Opera 10 Final is out!

I'm really digging it so far. It's super quick.

Although, is there no form auto completion? It would be nice if it remembered some of the stuff I have entered in before (wand isn't what I'm after)

Also, for some reason everything I print is super small. Can't find a setting to change.

Opera still has issues copy/pasting links from WoW forums so I will continue to not use it.

Pretty much the only reason I switched FROM opera was because I kept hitting sites that it wasn't compatible with. Is this still the case? Is it more widely "accepted" on the net than it used to be?

I'm really digging it so far. It's super quick.

Although, is there no form auto completion? It would be nice if it remembered some of the stuff I have entered in before (wand isn't what I'm after)

You have 3 things you can do.

1. Use the wand for remembering info for compatible login forms.

2. Goto tools -> preferences -> forms. You have standard info that you can fill out and 3 'other' fields that you can make use of for whatever you want. These will then show up for auto-complete in form fields that apply.

3. Save things to the notes panel. Then, you can press the down arrow in a field or right-click on the field and insert a specific note.

For most Opera users, that is sufficient and most don't miss full auto-complete like other browsers have. However, there are still many that want full auto-complete. Opera just doesn't have it yet.

Also, for some reason everything I print is super small. Can't find a setting to change.

The printing defaults are not optimal for all situations. Goto file -> print options and change the scale from 80% to 100%. And, uncheck "fit to paper width" *if* you need to.

Note that if you're printing a selection, Opera will only print raw text. All formatting will be ignored. If you want pictures and formatting, you'll have to print the full page or use a different browser to print.

Opera still has issues copy/pasting links from WoW forums so I will continue to not use it.

Copy in Opera only copies plain text from a selection on a page. It doesn't copy the selection in rich text format.

I always try the new version of Opera when it comes out and generally after a day or so I switch back to Firefox...I really like the Opera interface and the speed dial.

I have only been using it for about half a day now and while I have yet to find and site that is not compatible with Opera I have noticed some issues with sentence scrunching into multiple lines...I am still pulling for it though.

Is there anyone out there that actually uses Opera as their default browser?

Pretty much the only reason I switched FROM opera was because I kept hitting sites that it wasn't compatible with. Is this still the case? Is it more widely "accepted" on the net than it used to be?

It's definitely more widely accepted. There are still sites that either don't support Opera or block Opera.

All Yahoo sites don't support Opera and most of them block Opera.

Microsoft sites don't support Opera and mail.live.com often blocks Opera.

Google doesn't support Opera, but usually allows Opera to use their sites by using a parameter in the URI to disable browser checking. When Google comes out with a new feature, they develop it *only* for Firefox and IE and use vendor=-specific javascript/DOM extensions. Then, months later, they eventually hack in some fixes for their code to use standard JS/DOM. The Gmail team does give Opera a little love though, sometimes.

Some banks and airlines and insurances (like promedica) still actively block Opera. (Some of them still block Firefox too.)

With that said, a lot of the same sites are still discriminating against Opera, but Opera uses browser.js to workaround those dirty sites where possible.

Just look at browser.js in you profile directory for 2000+ lines of workarounds to see the offending sites. (Some of those fixes work around Opera bugs that are not fixed yet, but most of it is fixing bugs and discrimination in sites)

In short though, things are *way* better than they used to be. You'll most likely only have problems if you're a hotmail or yahoo junky, or sometimes an ebay junky. Stay away from them and you should be great. But, browser.js is updated often, so don't take my word for it, try the site first.

I have noticed some issues with sentence scrunching into multiple lines

Depending on the site, this might not be a bug in Opera. Opera follows the Unicode spec rules for wrapping, while other browsers do not. You could be running into this, or it could indeed be a css/font bug in Opera.

First thing to do (besides comparing to other browsers) is view source and replace (or add if it's not there) the doctype with <!DOCTYPE html> and make sure it's on the first line. Then, apply changes and see if the problem on the page goes away. If so, then that's just a case of Opera's quirks mode being different than other browsers in this case, which is usually O.K. as vendors don't concentrate *as much* on making quirks mode the same. If that is the case, then the site could fix their pages to use standards mode, but it would also be good to file a bug https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/

Yep, same here. Been Opera strong for many years now. Its still the cats ass for speed IMO, and its UI is just too familiar to me now not to use it.

Its #1 to go on a new system after updates for me.

The printing defaults are not optimal for all situations. Goto file -> print options and change the scale from 80% to 100%. And, uncheck "fit to paper width" *if* you need to.

Note that if you're printing a selection, Opera will only print raw text. All formatting will be ignored. If you want pictures and formatting, you'll have to print the full page or use a different browser to print.

Thank you! Figured it out now.

Opera 10 has problem with online flash game Evony. It freezes on regular occasion.

Opera 10 has problem with online flash game Evony. It freezes on regular occasion.

When this happens, if you right-click on the taskbar button, does Opera become responsive again? If not, are you using the newest version of flash?

When this happens, if you right-click on the taskbar button, does Opera become responsive again? If not, are you using the newest version of flash?

Yes it does. The work around I use is minimized and maximized opera.

Have you tried right clicking on the link and using "Copy Link Address"? I've always found using that option is a lot quicker and easier than trying to highlight the text for a link and then do the copy/paste process.

Just updated to 10.0 and while I probably won't be doing an extensive test using it, my initial impression is that it seems to work just fine. I haven't used Opera as my main browser since Firefox 0.7 due to several reasons but I do keep it around to use every once in a while.

Yes it does. The work around I use is minimized and maximized opera.

This has to do with high flash fps screwing with the user interface events. In general, the faster your computer and the less you right-click in Opera when flash is being cpu-intensive, the less you'll see the problem. And, right-clicking the systray icon usually fixes it even better than right-clicking the taskbar button. Opera 10 has made improvements in this area and should get better with each version. But, always make sure you have the newest flash.

Back