Opinions / Facts about the VP2030b

phive0

Limp Gawd
Anyone have actual firsthand feedback on a ViewSonic VP2030b?

I noticed that Dell has them for $440. I can get 25% off if I order before the 13th. With free shipping and tax, that would bring my total to $360.

Is this a good deal?

I use my current monitor for gaming, internet and multimedia... roughly equal parts.

I've heard bad things about Dvi-d not working properly on this.

Actually I've been doing a LOT of research into 1600x1200 (hate widescreen) 20" lcd, and I've come up with this <copy and pasted from another forum I've posted in>:

Ah well - I've pretty much given up ont the idea of getting an lcd monitor now.

There's just TOO many faults with the currrent ones:

Samsung 204b, sounds like a great monitor - But after 90+ days many give you a 10-odd pixel
high black line across the screen (that's some thousands of dead pixels!)

Viewsonic 2030b (and maybe 2130b), reads as a GREAT monitor - But you either have to run
in dvi analog mode, OR put up with not seing any display (no bios, no post, possible no
pre-boot defrag screens) to have dvi digital.

Samsung 970p, Reads as great - But there's ONLY software colour/geometry adjustments (come
ON Samsung! WTF were you thinking?).

Phillips 200p7eb, THEY say it's a great monitor - But there's NO reviews anywhere!

Nec (something x2), ok, reads as great - But bloody expensive! I'm not about to drop $1200
on an lcd monitor that may have problems.

I think I'll be sticking with my Adi 19" crt.

Well, I did end up ordering the VP2030B last month. Dell should ship it next week. I'll post my results when (if) it gets here....

Does it usually take Dell a month to fill an order?

I own a VP2030B and have been using it on DVI for almost a year now without any problems. I ordered it from Dell in mid-Dec '05 and it did take over a month to ship (got it at end of Jan '06).

yeah, but is it working on the analog connection in the dvi, or the digital connection.
Dvd-i leads have both, and the problem about 400 others have had is it uses the dvi-a part of the lead as default over the dvi-d part of the lead.

Some people have fixed it by using a dvi-d only lead, but then they only get a display after xp has booted (no post, no bios, etc).

Some people also have fixed it fully by rewriting the monitors edid chip (like a rom flash) to include 640x400@60 mode (bios/dos size it seems) - this has been the most promising fix.

But my point is why should we have to fix the makers stuffups?

I'm using this DVI-D cable. I'm using a PNY Geforce 7800GT that has only DVI ports. I had the cable before I even had the monitor so I've never tried it with any other cable. In fact, I don't recall it even came with any DVI cables. The preboot screens work fine and I can see the startup post and access the bios just fine. Do you have any links for where people are posting about these problems?

I believe so - it's thought that it's because NV cards enforce a strict usage if the edid (as in no edid for a certain res = no display. Ati have a looser edid usage (maybe)).

You'll notice that it's referring to dvi-i cables (which carry both analog and dig signal) being used analog only.
It seems there's two ways to go - eitehr have bootup/bios screens and dvi-analog signal in windows OR have dvi-digital signal in windows but no bootup/bios. Unless the edid hack/flash is used.

Well, the VP2030b will not ship today. Dell now says I should have it by February...

I thought Amazon was slow filling orders.

Is there a shortage of these panels?

Some people have fixed it by using a dvi-d only lead, but then they only get a display after xp has booted (no post, no bios, etc).

Some people also have fixed it fully by rewriting the monitors edid chip (like a rom flash) to include 640x400@60 mode (bios/dos size it seems) - this has been the most promising fix.

I finally received my VP2030b and I am using a DVI-D cable with my X1900XT. I do not have the issues that you described above. I can see my BIOS just fine with DVI-D and the VP2030b.

I see no reason to use/test the DVI-I cable at all.

Another reason I am glad I switched from Nvidia to ATi.

Back