Opinions on new system I'm putting together

skritch

2[H]4U
After buying a house, and several other expenses that made me put off my system upgrade for over a year, I've convinced my wife to let me build a new system as my Christmas/Chanukah gift.

My current system is an Intel 2.8GHz, 533MHz FSB with 1GB of PC1066 RDRAM and a Radeon 9700 Pro.

What I'm about to list is put forth with the understanding that the FX55 and an nForce4 motherboard or two will be available in the next month. If they are, I may decide to get them instead, and a PCI-e version of whatever graphics card I decide on. But, worst-case scenario, here's what I've decided on for now:

* MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
* Athlon 64 FX-53 (939-pin)
* Either a BFG 6800GTUltra or a Visiontek X800XT-PE
(An Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 if I go for the 6800)
* A DangerDen Silver TDX waterblock (3/8" fittings)
(my current system is watercooled; I'll be reusing the case and watercooling for the new one)
* Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 1GB (512MBx2)
(TWINX1024-3200XLPRO)
* Maxtor Ultra 250GB 7200RPM SATA L01M250
* AOpen 16x Chameleon DVD-ROM DVD-1648
* Logitech MX1000
* Antec 550W True550

I'll either use the onboard sound from the motherboard, or my Hercules Game Theater XP, which has always been great (I've got the Logitech Z680 speakers).

I'll also be connecting it to my current Dell 2001FP display.

Thoughts? I haven't used AMD for a desktop since my 1800+ fried.

Wow, dude, that is a freakin expensive computer!! It all looks good, but some people don't like the Neo2 Plat., don't know why, though it does seem good. The only thing I would change it maybe get a 74GB Raptor and a 200GB storage drive. Put XP and your games on the raptor, and your music/movies/etc. on the storage. Otherwise, everything looks good, but, if i were you, i would wait for the FX-55, as I'm sure its gonna be top-notch.

Alex41290 said:
Wow, dude, that is a freakin expensive computer!! It all looks good, but some people don't like the Neo2 Plat., don't know why, though it does seem good. The only thing I would change it maybe get a 74GB Raptor and a 200GB storage drive. Put XP and your games on the raptor, and your music/movies/etc. on the storage. Otherwise, everything looks good, but, if i were you, i would wait for the FX-55, as I'm sure its gonna be top-notch.

Actually, the cost is only about $2400 today, and I expect the cost to drop by $100-300 by the time I actually buy (early December).

As for the Raptor, I don't see that much benefit going from a 7200rpm drive to a 10krpm drive, though I'll take it under consideration. I honestly hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks.

To the problems people have with the Neo2 Platinum, it mainly has to do with the RAM, and how well it works with that board. Honestly, I'm hoping MSI's nForce4 board is available by the time I'm ready to buy everything.

Get two raptors in a raid and a maxtor 7200 250gig for storage.

Also don't get the TDX block, get the RBX if you can. RBX has less head loss. ^_^
Though the RBX is 1/2" OD.

Rad777

Rad777 said:
Get two raptors in a raid and a maxtor 7200 250gig for storage.

Also don't get the TDX block, get the RBX if you can. RBX has less head loss. ^_^
Though the RBX is 1/2" OD.

Rad777

I looked at some reviews of the TDX copper and silver that compared with the RDX and a few others. The TDX silver performs almost as well as the RDX, has 3/8" fittings available, and has only two connectors rather than three, and better chip coverage.

Thanks for the suggestions. As for RAID, I'm really not interested; at least, not with RAID0. It increases the points of failure for the data, and the interleave would be difficult to optimize given the different types of data and read-write patterns. And I don't want to buy 4 drives to do RAID 0+1.

No need for raid, but having a Raptor for your boot drive does help alot with booting/app loading/especially game loading (even individual levels).

I'd get a 74 gig raptor and a 200 regular drive for storage.

Back