Opinions on system I'm putting together

skritch

2[H]4U
I've done some extensive research, read lots of reviews (and lots of complaints), and here's the system I've arrived at:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
CPU: Athlon FX-53
RAM: OCZ EL Platinum Rev. 2 1GB (2x512) DDR PC3200 (2-2-2-5)
Graphics card: Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe
Waterblock: Dangerden TDX
HDD: Maxtor Ultra 250GB 7200RPM SATA
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10000RPM SATA
DVD: Pioneer DVR-108
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition
Mouse: Logitech MX1000
PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500W Ultra Modular Blue UV (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-108.html?id=Ay5IUZUv )

This is a change from the build I had been planning. Previously, I was planning to go with an Antec True550 PSU, no Raptor, Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro RAM, and a Visiontek X800XT PE graphics card.

There's still a bit over a month until I buy everything, but I'm not planning on going for any NF4 board if it's available, nor am I planning to get an FX-55 instead, unless I can find one for $800 or so.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone using a similar setup willing to provide real-world feedback?

EDIT: I just read an analysis of the TDX silver that shows little performance gain over the copper, and a higher PSI. Since there's almost $70 difference between the silver and the copper, I'll just go with the copper.

EDIT #2: I removed the low-end DVD-ROM I'd had listed, and replaced it with the spiffy Pioneer DVR-108 I just read about.

Everything sounds good but 2 things I noticed.. But of course this is all just opinion..:p
The Maxtor Ultra HDD I wouldnt go with.. I would stick with the same 2 Drives of Western Digital..
Also.. the previous setup you talked about... the Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro RAM is exactly what I have.. It has been good to me..I would stay with that brand of memory etc..:)

Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe <-- that video card sucks ass!

just read about it in Pc Gamer, and its not worth the cost at all!

its a 12 pipe card (less performance) that the company overclocks to mislead you! you'd be better off looking into a different card!

IceWeasel said:
Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe <-- that video card sucks ass!

just read about it in Pc Gamer, and its not worth the cost at all!

its a 12 pipe card (less performance) that the company overclocks to mislead you! you'd be better off looking into a different card!

Not according to [H]'s own GeForce 6800/Ultra roundup on the front page. In fact, it comes out on top. And the Ultra Deluxe DOES have 16 pipes. You must be thinking of the Asus V9999 Gamer Edition, which only has 12 pipes, and performs significantly worse.

Most of the 6800 Ultras on the market are overclocked, by the way. It's not done to deceive or mislead.

Scottsman said:
Everything sounds good but 2 things I noticed.. But of course this is all just opinion..:p
The Maxtor Ultra HDD I wouldnt go with.. I would stick with the same 2 Drives of Western Digital..
Also.. the previous setup you talked about... the Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro RAM is exactly what I have.. It has been good to me..I would stay with that brand of memory etc..:)

For the drives, I don't intend to have them in a RAID configuration; I wanted one very fast drive for games, and a slower, much larger drive for general storage and such. If there was a Raptor that was relatively affordable in the 200GB-300GB range, I'd consider it.

As to the Corsair RAM, I looked at several comparisons that included it and the OCZ, and the OCZ always came out on top in terms of bandwidth and overall performance.

you are right, i just realized i was mistaken! i didn't check the names on the cards before i opened my mouth about it, my apologies! just trying to help :D

and yes, the gamer edition is the crappy one

IceWeasel said:
you are right, i just realized i was mistaken! i didn't check the names on the cards before i opened my mouth about it, my apologies! just trying to help :D

and yes, the gamer edition is the crappy one

No problem. Thanks for the effort!

Everything looks good, I also recommend a DangerDen 6800 Water Block if you're going Water Cooling on the CPU, might as well go on the GPU too. :)

Back