opinions on the GeForce 8600GS?

joeylyth

n00b
I'm going to buy a mid range graphics card to upgrade my Dell E520. It's only got stock PSU (305w i think). What are the opinions on the GeForce 8600GS 512, and will the PSU be enough?!!

Thanks!

J

Vista home basic
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
3 GB Ram
Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family

well its a pretty slow card but you also have a pretty slow so cpu. 512mb is useless on a card that slow so if you can find one cheaper with 256mb then do so. speaking of which, how much is this card and where are you buying it from because I have never seen one for sale?

I'm going the ebay way...

I admit i am just trying to go for a cheap quick fix, I cant afford a full new set up so have decided to try and get an ok card and try and get a core 2 duo, poss 6600 and hopefully both for under £100...

I'm going the ebay way...

I admit i am just trying to go for a cheap quick fix, I cant afford a full new set up so have decided to try and get an ok card and try and get a core 2 duo, poss 6600 and hopefully both for under £100...
well the 8600gs is even worse than the 8600gt which has basically been discontinued. I would get something a little better but anything more than a 4650/4670 would start pushing your luck with that psu and fairly power hungry cpu. also I dont think you can upgrade that cpu in the Dell without running into some other issues.

how about a ASUS 512MB RADEON HD 4650?

I'm still wavering as to wether im doing the right thing to be honest, this comps just not really worth it at the end of the day... do you think i'd just be wasting cash that i could be putting towards new build in a few months?!!

Many thanks for the help btw:)

J

how about a ASUS 512MB RADEON HD 4650?

I'm still wavering as to wether im doing the right thing to be honest, this comps just not really worth it at the end of the day... do you think i'd just be wasting cash that i could be putting towards new build in a few months?!!

Many thanks for the help btw:)

J
well if you want to play some games during that time then its not a waste. also you can just sell whatever card you get now when you get a much better system.

better to buy 8800 GT, difference in price is not that big as in performance, but i think you need to upgrade your PSU atleast to 400W to run this card

better to buy 8800 GT, difference in price is not that big as in performance, but i think you need to upgrade your PSU atleast to 400W to run this card
how does that make any sense based on his situation? all he needs a cheap card to hold him over for a few months. he doesnt need to buy a high end card which would force him to get a new psu and not to mention be held back by his cpu.

A 4650/4670 would be a nice, worthwhile upgrade. You should be able to get one for about $50. And it'll work even with your Dell's gimpy power supply.

In my experience, that 305 watt power supply isn't really a gimp. My girlfriend is using that same E520 husk (although hers is an E6400 C2D) along with 2 HDs, 4 GB of RAM, and an 8800GT and it's chugging along just fine.

In my experience, that 305 watt power supply isn't really a gimp. My girlfriend is using that same E520 husk (although hers is an E6400 C2D) along with 2 HDs, 4 GB of RAM, and an 8800GT and it's chugging along just fine.
well his cpu uses about 45 watts more under load than yours. you are already close to borderline for day to day reliability and he would be too close for comfort.

Back