Opinions Please - Antec Neo 480 or Enermax NoiseTaker 600

idiot999

Weaksauce
All, I've been reading the PSU forums for the last two weeks and would like some assistance in upgrading my computer's PSU.

First let me share my system specs:
  • MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
  • AMD 3200+ 64 Winchester
  • Crucial PC3700 Ballistic 2x512MB
  • BFG 6800 GT OC 256 Meg
  • Maxtor 300 GB 7200 RPM
  • Western Digital 250 GB 7200 RPM
  • Plextor 40x CD-RW
  • Sony 8x Dual Layer
  • USB Mouse
  • USB Keyboard
  • Using Monster Power PC-1000 Power Filter / Surge Protector

Now, I've been having some issues with my existing Antec TruePower 430Watt and have been researching possible fixes for my issues with OC'ing the machine. I've gotten a pretty unanimous response that my PSU is lacking.

After reviewing the threads, I'm leaning toward the Antec NeoPower 480, but have also read that there have been some concerns about using Antec power supplies with the MIS board as the 12v rails are listed at 11.92 volts.

I did look at the PC Power & Cooling, but don't see why I would want to pay more for it when the specs on the Antec NeoPower 480 and the Enermax NoiseTaker 600 both look comparable for the price.

I appreciate any advise and comments in advance.

Cheers,

Idiot999

idiot999 said:
I did look at the PC Power & Cooling, but don't see why I would want to pay more for it when the specs on the Antec NeoPower 480 and the Enermax NoiseTaker 600 both look comparable for the price.

Specs and Actual Performance are 2 different things. People here complain about having lost an Enermax or Antec PSU. Have you ever heard someone whine about losing a PCP&C PSU? Nope, I bet not. They are under-rated. They really perform above and beyond what they are specified to do. High quality components are used in PCP&C PSU's. They will keep your OC's stable when an Enermax cant.

Another option to look into is the Fortron 530w. It is "better" than either or the PSU's u suggested, but at a lower price and is not modular. You can sleeve and modularize it yourself. I have one and I cant wait to actually use it ;)

apHytHiaTe said:
Another option to look into is the Fortron 530w. It is "better" than either or the PSU's u suggested, but at a lower price and is not modular. You can sleeve and modularize it yourself. I have one and I cant wait to actually use it ;)

if only it was atx2.0 :(

idiot999 said:
If it were me, and I was looking to accomplish the same thing, I would be looking at a Zippy/Emacs. For $5 more than the Enermax, and $40 less than a PC&C 510, you can get the Zippy PSM-6600P-SATA. It's way more supply than you need, but there it is. Zippy also has their 400W HG2-6400P-SATA which would be closer to what I would think you need, and it's $90.50 at Newegg. In my experience Zippy offers quality to match the PCP&P supplies without paying a 30%premium to subsidize their retail advertising budget.

Both Enermax and Antec quote specs at lower temps and PCP&C and one or two others quote their specs as measured at 40c at which point the max rated output will be 30-40% lower than a 25c. As long as you understand what that means, then it's of no real consequence. In any case, those are both nice supplies, and I actually own the Enermax 600W, but I'd not recommend either for what you want to accomplish. The Antec isn't much of a supply under it's current-market-fad features, and my EG701 has 4% regulation under load according to my Fluke meter, so while it meets ATX 2.03 spec of 5% and works fine for me, it's not something I'd recommend to someone looking for great clocking results.

oc

Okay, made a decision. It looks like everyone still agrees that PCP&C are still the best. I headed over to the website and saw that they were running 10% off on their 510 Deluxe, dug a little deeper and saw that they had a returned/refurb sales section.

I went ahead and ordered a new one for ~$205 (after shipping).

I want to make sure everyone else knows that they have a "used" 510 for sale (telephone order only). Part# T51X Turbo-Cool 510 ATX
Item ID: 1066 Used
$149.00. Their number is: (800) 722-6555.

Thank you all for your reccomendations and opinions, I appreciate it!

Back