Opteron 1212 at 3.0Ghz, how fast compared to Core 2 Duo?

general

[H]ard|Gawd
I've seen people raving about these chips. Does anyone know how fast they are compared to Core 2 Duos when overclocked to 3.0?

I would guess that a c2d at 2.2ghz would be about equal to 3.0ghz opteron. that being said, some c2d can go upwards of 3.4ghz....

I would guess that a c2d at 2.2ghz would be about equal to 3.0ghz opteron. that being said, some c2d can go upwards of 3.4ghz....

I was proud of my almost 3.0 ghz opty until this moment, thanks

i would say somewhere b/w 2.2-2.6ghz C2D depending on app.

but on average around 2.4ghz

Don't listen to benchmarks or bullshit like that. Its all about real world performance in apps. I honestly didn't see THAT much of a difference between my E6300 @ 3.2ghz vs my old Opty 165 @ 3ghz for video decoding/encoding.

Although I am using Vista 64bit and we all know how that goes :rolleyes:

Pretty much agree with the c2d @2.2 =3.0 opty. My buddy has an c2d6600 at 2.2 with the same evga 8800gtx as I and my 170 @ 3.0 has the same 3dmark06 score, within 50 points with me being just under.

Pretty much agree with the c2d @2.2 =3.0 opty. My buddy has an c2d6600 at 2.2 with the same evga 8800gtx as I and my 170 @ 3.0 has the same 3dmark06 score, within 50 points with me being just under.

lol why's your friend's 6600 at 2.2?

but whats the big deal between 100 FPS and 130. I mean both are fast. If you want the best Core 2 is by far a great chip. There Quads cores are much like the old Pentium D days. Also AMD's native Quad Core is comming which is gonna be good, IMO. If you have an AM2 already, the Opty's clock really well. But if you are upgrading from 939 or older hardware, and you have the money, the CD 6600 is the WTG atm, best bang for your buck.

This consept is pretty wrong. C2D is only 10% faster overall. Specially in 64-bit Intels instruction set is fake. If you want true 64-bit performance go AMD if you want to stay in the past keep 32-bit crap and see how long that lasts.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Serge84/?action=view&current=ZV4.jpg

Its really sad how much over hype is around about C2D on the net. Sure its faster in 32-bit, but a E6400 is not faster then a FX-62. Hell a E6600 only matches it. A E6700 is still matched by a X2 6000. I'm sorry but you all spread too many lies. But not too many ppl actoully use 64-bit OS'es anyways to see the full potential of their future with C2D.

benchmarks do show the e6600 is more than often faster by a slight bit over the x2 6000+. However, in 64 bit mode, i heard the k8 chips close the gap due to something (i forgot what, perhaps someone can help here) in the c2d only enhances performance in 32bit mode, not in 64bit. FOR SURE it's something, but i forgot.

benchmarks do show the e6600 is more than often faster by a slight bit over the x2 6000+. However, in 64 bit mode, i heard the k8 chips close the gap due to something (i forgot what, perhaps someone can help here) in the c2d only enhances performance in 32bit mode, not in 64bit. FOR SURE it's something, but i forgot.

Athlon uses more CPU registers in 64bit mode, especially if you're running pure 64bit applications. This is really only possible in Linux though.

I believe it is C2D's 32-bit only macro and micro ops fusion, one of it's biggest performance enhancements over Core Duo and the K8. Due to the way Intel designed the chip, it's ops fusion benifits are negated and do not work under a 64-bit OS, however it has other things working in it's favor in it's design to still overcome even the fastest K8s in a 64-bit OS. I suspect that this will all change however in a matter of months, when the K8L launches.

damn. amd is competing more than i thought they were. Still not enough to stick with AMD though

damn. amd is competing more than i thought they were. Still not enough to stick with AMD though

Sure but it is not as dire as many think it is. IMHO, 4 X 4 is still a general bad deal. But the others don't suck as bad as some say they do. Please note though, this is not with WinXP-32 bit that most of the folks I know still are using. Big difference there. Yet, my 3500+ still does pretty good running one app at a time and I'm just waiting for that Opteron to replace it on my number 2 computer.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is staggering....

First Cache on a K8 really doesnt matter a whole bunch... The added cost of the used die space more then overcomes the measly performance gain. In my opinion we are better off with 512k cache.

Second, Both C2D and K8 do use "real" 64bit mode. Niether one of them is fake. AMD designed it, and Intel copied it. In the Prescot versions it was missing a few instructions which were added shortly afterwards. The Netburst architecture didnt lend itself very well to the instruction set, but it was still very "real" It was not fake by any means. Niether is C2D... It is very "real"

Third, AMD64 requires 16 GPR's it doesnt matter if it is the C2D or the Opteron. If it is running in 64bit mode, then it is using 16 GPR's, and if it is running in 32bit mode then it is only using 8 GPR's. This applies to both Intel, and AMD.

As far as Intels smaller gain in performance in 64bit mode, it likely has a combination of factors. One of them being that pointers are now twice as large, and latency is a key factor in this arena,something that AMD has done well with due it's IMC. Another is that Macro, and Micro ops fusion is disabled in 64bit mode. A third is that OoO loads are disabled in 64bit mode. So these are all factors that apply to lesson Intels gain in 64bit mode, but I'm sure that it is much more complicated than this simple example.

Back