Opteron 144 CAB2E 0610 just came in

cre3d

Limp Gawd
Update: So far its 2.8ghz prime stable @ 1.52v. Voltage is kinda high for my tastes but the temps seem to be acceptable at ~48C under load. It failed prime after 6 hours @ 1.45v. 1.52v has been priming for 20+ now. Any higher than 312x9 causes prime errors within 15 minutes :(

Can't seem to find information on this one, anyone have experience with this particular stepping? Waiting on my DFI to get here in a couple hours since this A8N Premium holds me back too much to even make it worth trying right now...

cre3d said:
Can't seem to find information on this one, anyone have experience with this particular stepping? Waiting on my DFI to get here in a couple hours since this A8N Premium holds me back too much to even make it worth trying right now...

Sexy chip. I have a good feeling about this one.

Why does the a8n premium hold you back? I thought that was one of the top boards...

Highly fluctuating vcore and a severely limited memory clock. I can't go past 295 FSB @ 1T with any memory divider. Its a great board otherwise but if you look at several of the comments on newegg for it, you will see that many others have experienced the same problems with it.

One other problem I've noticed was with nvidia's nforce chipset drivers installed on this motherboard I was getting intermittent "skipping" or "stuttering" in video playback, mp3 playback and games as well. None of the dual core fixes nor setting affinity to a single cpu in the applications fixed it. Finally narrowed it down to the nvidia drivers, which after uninstalling, have eliminated the stuttering. However this leads to missing drivers in windows device manager which though I don't see affecting my performance, I nevertheless do not like. DFI NF4 Ultra SLI Expert is here and I'm off to pick it up :)

Yeah, for chips with 9x multis, you can't waste your time with crap like ECS, ASUS, PC Chips, etc that rarely break 300MHz HTT. The DFI will be awesome, have fun man :cool:

UPDATE

Testing with my Opty 165 CCBBE 0610 right now but already the DFI board is letting me run @ 311 x 9 and 180 (09/10) divider for a blazing 279Mhz RAM FSB (3-4-4-8-1T). Fastest I could run on the asus before it wouldn't go past bios was 248Mhz RAM FSB which forced me to stick with 2.6ghz.

Definitely alot more configuration involved with the DFI and some problems that stumped me (speedfan makes the whole computer shut down unless you start it with the /nosmbscan command line option), but it seems to be a really solid performer! 30 second Super PI compared to 33s on the A8N Premium.

Only thing I am worried about at this point is the power supply which is an antec smartpower 450 (stock sonata2 ps) but all rails seem to have strong volts. I am running 2 x 120mm fans, 1 x cpu fan, 2xsata hd's, 7600gt, and an sblive. Once I get this 165 dialed in I'll be throwing the 144 in :) Oh, this is all on air cooling with an arctic cooling freezer64 pro.

That sounds very promising! If I get similar results I'll be ebaying this chip for a nice profit for sure :)

Edit: So far 2.85ghz, 285 ram fsb @ 1.44v is prime stable for 30 minutes on the 165 dual core. <3 this DFI board :)

Update: So far its 2.8ghz prime stable @ 1.52v. Voltage is kinda high for my tastes but the temps seem to be acceptable at ~48C under load. It failed prime after 6 hours @ 1.45v. 1.52v has been priming for 20+ now. Any higher than 312x9 causes prime errors within 15 minutes :(

I'm running a CACJE 0602GPMW 144. It's at 2.7ghz stock volts on a Epox matx mobo. Tried to prime at 2.8 on stock volts but it failed in 10 mins. At 2.7 its been priming now for about 8 hrs. Temp is ~48 Celcius on amd 4 copper heatpipe cooler. Thought you might want to compare with some others..

Back